Committed to 200 points at SSR today!

CNMooner

Mouseketeer
After only 3 days home from our honeymoon at GF, we have committed and paid for 200 points at SSR. I feel great about it! We're both 30 and plan to start a family next year, so we should get a lot of use out of it. I love all the DVC properties, and I really liked SSR. I see quite a lot of people bashing it on these boards and I'm not sure why-- sure, you can't walk to EPCOT or MK, but DTD is right there and the theming is so subtle and lovely in my opinion. We drive to the parks anyway when we're not at a monorail resort. Does anyone know if you get to park at the parks for free like you do if you are staying at a normal resort? I assume.

I do have a question for all of you, however. I see a lot of people saying that the DVC doesn't make real financial sense, but I don't see how paying for traditional hotel rooms at disney over the next 50 years is the same as paying $x upfront and then the nominal maintence charges every year? Is it because we would be at deluxe resorts? We hope to go to Disney every other year and another vacation on points every other year, so one vacation per year on points.

Congrats to you too!

I also am a new owner of SSR for 200pts

I am 24 and plan to make good use out of the DVC as we spend 2 weeks a year in Disney World anyway and will be looking to start a family soon too.

I will be booking SSR with the hopes of getting into VWL ( but a little piece of me hopes I will be denied VWL and I will get to stay at SSR after the positives I have heard on these boards! )

Congrats and Enjoy!

Jennifer

Congrats!
I think all the financial cautions are just people making sure most people won't look at DVC as an investment. Most people view it as more of pre-paid vacationing. However - if you use your points wisely (don'y use them on a lot of weekends....) and would have stayed at a moderate or delux anyway - you will find that you can save money by going the DVC route. Especially if hotel room rates keep going up the way they have been!
Parking is still handled the same way as if you were a regular guest, the only real difference is that your maid service is less frequent, and when Disney offers it room and dining combination promotions, guests staying on points cannot get those dining plans.
Have fun! :flower:

Unfortunately I can't comment about parking at the parks since we usually don't have a car while at WDW. When we first looked at SSR at the Member Homecoming last year I wasn't thrilled with it but we checked it out again when we returned from the Member Cruise in September and my opinion has changed. I believe every person has their own thoughts about each resort. I guess that's why DVC has been so successful with all of their different resorts and locations.

I agree with you about buying into DVC. We used to stay in moderate WDW hotels every year and now we are staying in better accommodations since we purchased DVC. Also, the conveniences of having a full kitchen and washer/dryer in the units are great!

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the neighborhood. Annmarie

CNMooner said:
I do have a question for all of you, however. I see a lot of people saying that the DVC doesn't make real financial sense, but I don't see how paying for traditional hotel rooms at disney over the next 50 years is the same as paying $x upfront and then the nominal maintence charges every year? Is it because we would be at deluxe resorts? We hope to go to Disney every other year and another vacation on points every other year, so one vacation per year on points.

The topic most open to debate is whether DVC makes sense if you have to finanance the purchase. Financing will add thousands and thousands of dollars to the bottom line if you take 10 years to pay it off. Most people will argue that a timeshare is a clear luxury expense, and one that should only be undertaken by those who are financially sound.

YMMV.

As for theme park parking--it is free to all who are staying at a Disney resort, including DVC resorts. If you are a member who elects to stay off-site for a night or two before or after your DVC stay, then you will probably have to pay for parking. DVC membership does not automatically grant unlimited free parking priviledges at the theme parks.

Annual passholders DO have unlimited free parking, and DVC members get a very nice discount on APs.

Welcome Home and Congratulations, Neighbor!
You're gonna love it!
:banana: :banana: :banana:

I don't see too much SSR bashing anymore, which is a good thing. Although some people legitimately don't like the place, I think many of the early complaints were based on what people thought SSR would be rather than what SSR was.

I think that anyone would be happy with an SSR purchase as long as they don't go into it intending to never stay at SSR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter