Common advice ignored

Beer Me

DIS Veteran
Some of the most common tips offered by disney veterans just don't work for me.

I posted in another thread that I never bought cheap rain ponchos. First of all I've hardly ever needed them. Most rain in the summer is over within an hour so we take a break under shelter. Once when the forecast was for rain all day I bought the overpriced Disney ponchos. Turned out to be not a bad investment. They are pretty heavy duty and I've used them several times over the years. I doubt the cheap dollar store versions would have lasted a day.

Another common tip is to get free water from counter service food places. Good advice if you were already planning to buy food but there is usually a significant line to wait in. I'm not waiting 10 minutes for a free cup of water when there's a cart selling ice cold bottles with no wait.

For me convenience outweighs what sounds like good advice.

I've been to WDW at least 30 times in the last 12-13 years. I've never bought or worn a poncho. Afternoon showers happen, but I'm always at my hotel/the pool in the afternoons, so I've only been rained out of additional swim time, I did learn that running in wet leather flipflops and a flooey coverup, means you can destroy your knee and your flipflops. I prefer the ice water, but like you, have 0 issue for paying for ice cold bottled if its more convenient.

I also lose park time because I routinely go from Epcot resorts, to Epcot, have a few drinks and then mosey to MK as a primary means of transport. It works for me.

I can't image relying on WDW transport to get to the GF from the Swan for instance, unless I had the time and proper footwear to do the above referenced route. Towncars/Uber FTW.

I'm all for convenience too. The thing with the cheap Dollar Store ponchos is that you wear them once and toss them such that you're not dealing with hauling around a used wet poncho for the rest of the day. Those Disney ponchos are much nicer, but don't they run around $10 a piece? That's quite a few disposable Dollar Store ponchos. I wouldn't wait in line for free water though, I plan to spend big bucks on water & some other liquids at WDW. :earsboy:

yeah, there are a lot of "tips" out there, and a lot of people make it seem like these are make it and break it for your trip. While I agree some are super helpful, some are take it or leave it, and also along with that, your mileage may vary on them. My first few trips, I brought all the "tips" and ended up with a bunch of crap I didn't need or use. But some of it I had to learn on my own, and it's about what I prefer, but someone else may be different. That being said, I do like Disney ponchos. I don't like the waste, and they are well built and will last for many trips. I will get water at QS locations, but only if it's convenient. For me, the most convenient and least amount of waste is a Brita.

You're not cutting - it's what you're supposed to do. They often have them there already made and ready to go. All you have to do is ask.

Yes, there's almost always a few cups of ice water hanging out at pick up.

Hey OP, you know there are higher quality ponchos out there for sale? They don't have to come from the dollar store. Disney's ponchos have gotten flimsier over the last few years.

Until it storms your entire trip, you will never appreciate a poncho or umbrella. We have a family superstition that someone always has to have one cheapo poncho on them, even if the forecast is supposed to be clear. Every time we don't have the poncho, it rains!

I like my Disney ponchos:confused3 I still have yellow ones and I loan them to friends going to WDW so they don't have to buy them, they're durable by my standards. The last time I bought one was 2015 and it was $9 and that was only cuz we have 2 new Disney-ers (niece & nephew)in the family now so they get the hand me downs and I got a new one :)

I agree with the ponchos. I bought Dollar Store ponchos one year and it held up maybe 2 minutes during a storm? I gave them away to a family and then I went and bought us Disney ponchos and they have held up so well over the years. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one should something to happen one of ours.

Anyone remember "Boil in a Bag" food? Usually a gooey, disgusting, and generally icky product if ever there was one. That is exactly what I turn into wearing a poncho in the hot, humid Florida climate. A lightweight umbrella is my very best friend.

Have gone from toting two of everything in an oversize bag, to the smallest purse I can manage. If I could find clothes that fit me with enough pockets, I would never be in a bag check line again.

Someone once told me that socks and sneakers were the best protection from the hot, hard pavement. That tip produced, in a single afternoon, an absolutely ungodly case of the dreaded Disney rash, and my legs swelled so badly that is was excruciating to walk for next 2 days. I need good sandals and plenty of air circulation.

We get gallons of free ice water, drink it, chew the ice cubes, and have been known to pour it down our backs, too. The wait for free water is usually not much longer than the wait to buy a bottle at a cart, and a few minutes in the shade does not go unappreciated.

Also most of the little stands that aren't really a full quick service place you can get them from - we noticed that a lot at AK. They have a lot of those smaller food stands that aren't a full on quick service place.

I like the umbrella idea, Ive never actually done it but I could totally see the convenience. It rains! Whip out the umbrella and walk around. Shake it out and put it back in your bag, stroller or whatever when finished.
My wifes and I's go to is a very packable light wiehgt hiking rain jacket. They are way more comfortable and look better. They repel the water just as well and you can shake them off, pack them back up and then use the little drying string inside all Disney Showers in the Hotel rooms to dry them out at night.

My wifes and I's go to is a very packable light wiehgt hiking rain jacket. They are way more comfortable and look better. They repel the water just as well and you can shake them off, pack them back up and then use the little drying string inside all Disney Showers in the Hotel rooms to dry them out at night.

All the lightweight hiking rain jackets I've seen only come to your waist. Have you seen any that are more parka length? To cover your derriere during a Florida deluge? I have an aversion to having a wet butt after too many years of small boat sailing (wind and waves and heeling = soggy boats).

Regarding the "get ice water at QS restaurants", it has never worked for us. I just posted on another thread that every time we've gone to a QS restaurant, its very busy. Very rarely - only once - have I gone into one that wasn't wall to wall busy. I've also never seen cups of ice water prepared. Soft drinks, yes, but not water (maybe that's because we don't go during the summer?) And, the food waiting queues are just as bad as the lines. Its hard enough to get out of the queues with your food - it would be very hard to "swim upstream" and get up to the counter. So, my son, daughter and I carry 3L Camelbaks and we don't run out of water. My wife can't wear backpacks, due to shoulder issues and surgeries, but she will carry a couple of bottles of water around.

Speaking of ponchos, on our last trip at DHS, a light misty rain started falling. You would not believe all the people who immediately put on ponchos and covered up their strollers. It was like they had all choreographed it! I just stood under an overhang and the misty rain stopped in a few minutes. We never took our ponchos out of our bags. I did buy a 10 pack of ponchos before our first trip last year, and we haven't used them. We will only carry them if there is rain forecast during the day.

I wouldn't say I ignore the advice, but it doesn't work for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!