Comparing Anaheim Plaza Hotel and Desert Inn

lalasmama

DIS Veteran
I know there's always mixed reviews on Anaheim Plaza Hotel. And there's always mixed reviews on Desert Inn. We've stayed at DI&S a few times now. Thanks to military rates, I can get a shocking deal at Anaheim Plaza Hotel.

So, for those that have stayed at both, can you give me your thoughts on the differences or similarities for the two properties?

Thanks in advance!

I haven't stayed at either hotel, but I too have been on the fence about booking at the Anaheim Hotel. $111/night the week before Christmas is such a good deal.

I have stayed at both, but it has been years. I would say that even though Anaheim Plaza is a bit farther of a walk, I would stay there. I liked the layout of the rooms better. Hopefully someone who has stayed more recently can chime in! (Plus, Anaheim Plaza has pizza press! 😉)

Following! We are booked at DI&S for the first time soon. I wish I had known more about The Anaheim since I get a discount there with my D23 membership but it’s too late to switch now! I’m going to check it out and keep it in mind for next time. We are 99.9% sure we will be getting Pizza Press on our first night in town.

Following! We are booked at DI&S for the first time soon. I wish I had known more about The Anaheim since I get a discount there with my D23 membership but it’s too late to switch now! I’m going to check it out and keep it in mind for next time. We are 99.9% sure we will be getting Pizza Press on our first night in town.
If I’m looking at the parks from the crosswalk at BWPPI which way is Pizza Press: right or left?

I've stayed at both, although not super recently.

We are doing Anaheim Hotel next month, in fact.

Cons:
No breakfast included at all
Building is older and my understanding some of the rooms still have not been renovated (this could be different now, of course)
Little bit farther walk

Pros:
Pizza Press, which is my son's favorite place ever
I prefer the more spread out layout and all the foliage between the breezeways
The pool, if you like pools, is a huge one (maybe Olympic sized? certainly it's a big rectangle)

Sort of depends on what your priorities are.

DI has a VERY basic breakfast included and is closer. The indoor pool is tiny and has always smelled very heavily of chlorine so I personally would not go in it.. .but then I don't usually go in the pool, either!

Last edited:

We have only stayed at Desert Palms. We really liked it for the short walk and free breakfast every morning and it was decent. Although, towards the end we did get sick of it. We would stay there again.

For the Anaheim Hotel, I noticed there are paths to get to the different buildings. Is it well lit at night? I usually stay to shop on Main St after the parks close at night and will be solo for this trip. I don't want to get creeped out on the paths at night. I've probably watched too many movies with people jumping out of bushes lol.

For the Anaheim Hotel, I noticed there are paths to get to the different buildings. Is it well lit at night? I usually stay to shop on Main St after the parks close at night and will be solo for this trip. I don't want to get creeped out on the paths at night. I've probably watched too many movies with people jumping out of bushes lol.
I am not certain, but I believe there is a light (like a porch light) outside each group of two room doors in the breezeways so they're fairly well lit. I've never stayed alone, but I've walked back before with two young children with no issues.

I am not certain, but I believe there is a light (like a porch light) outside each group of two room doors in the breezeways so they're fairly well lit. I've never stayed alone, but I've walked back before with two young children with no issues.

Thanks! I may just make a reservation tonight and think on it.

@lalasmama and @tsumgirl : I will be there at Anaheim Hotel Oct 9-12. If that's early enough to help you make your decisions, I can make note of the lighting and the condition/location of my room for you.
That would be awesome! I would appreciate it so much! My trip isn't until Dec. 10th, so any feedback after your trip would be super helpful. I'll lock in the rate tonight.

Hope you have a great time on your vacation!

We've stayed at the Anaheim twice. Most recently this past February with my daughter's high school music department. As a chaperone, I wandered around quite a bit of the property! :scratchin
The room we were in was nice. 2 King sized beds, which was so pleasant. Lots of room! The beds were quite comfortable, the bathroom a bit outdated, but fine. I seem to recall the water temp and pressure not being great. The walk was ok. We've stayed further. We had breakfast, but only because we were a large group. It wasn't amazing. We didn't use the pool or any of the other amenities (the kids weren't allowed for insurance reasons). I seem to recall the pool being cold from our first visit, but it was 10 years ago, so it's a bit blurry.
A funny note on our first visit. We had a room with a patio, which we thought was amazing, until our 18 month old crawled underneath the fence and into the patio of the room next door. I had to go wake some random guy up to get my kid back. Needless to say, we kept him inside after that!!

@lalasmama and @tsumgirl : I will be there at Anaheim Hotel Oct 9-12. If that's early enough to help you make your decisions, I can make note of the lighting and the condition/location of my room for you.
That would be awesome! I'm not making my reservations for a while--I have to pre-pay for my military discount, so I'm not making a reservation until a little closer to time. But trying to figure it out now, since it can affect my budget significantly!

That would be awesome! I'm not making my reservations for a while--I have to pre-pay for my military discount, so I'm not making a reservation until a little closer to time. But trying to figure it out now, since it can affect my budget significantly!

@lalasmama and @tsumgirl - I looked at my hotel confirmation and it says I am in an "executive" room. I am not exactly sure what that means or how it differs from any OTHER kind of room (presumably a plain old white collar office worker room???? :rotfl: ) so keep that in mind when I report back.

Aside from the lighting in the breezeways, is there anything in particular you'd like me to be looking for?

@lalasmama and @tsumgirl - I looked at my hotel confirmation and it says I am in an "executive" room. I am not exactly sure what that means or how it differs from any OTHER kind of room (presumably a plain old white collar office worker room???? :rotfl: ) so keep that in mind when I report back.

Aside from the lighting in the breezeways, is there anything in particular you'd like me to be looking for?

Honestly, I'm not too picky. As long as the room is clean and the bed isn't a rock, I'm happy. I really appreciate your help!

We have stayed at both (most recently May '18 at DI&S, Oct '18 Anaheim), location is my main priority, but price is a close second. I am not very loyal to one place over the other - as long as it is a good price, clean and within walking distance to DLR (The Anaheim is as far as I would go) I don't care which one it is. We have stayed at DI&S (3), Tropicana (1), HoJo (1) and Anaheim (1 and an upcoming trip in Nov)

Location - the DI&S is so close! But The Anaheim is just a short walk, really just a few more minutes than DI&S.

Breakfast - we don't do breakfast in Harbor hotels since they are usually pretty horrible so we don't care that the Anaheim does not have one.

Pool - Anaheim hands down. We are never even tempted by the DI&S pool, you can smell the chlorine from the outside.

Rooms - DI&S has big enough rooms, we just go to shower and sleep so don't need anything fancy. The Anaheim has bigger rooms with king beds and the one we stayed in (ground floor) had an enclosed patio.

Price - The Anaheim can be found for a good price even close to arrival date. For the DI&S the earlier you book the cheaper it is - they sometimes have specials but you have to keep an eye out on it. Last month we decided to go back to DLR in Nov - last minute for us - and I found the Anaheim for $67 on Hotwire (it has since gone up to $102), DI&S is in the $175+ range for our dates. For $100 less a night I will walk the extra block ;)

The Anaheim does have Pizza Press on property and they also have a bar in the lobby.

DD and I stayed at the Anaheim by ourselves for last Halloween. Even walking back after the party we never felt unsafe. There are tons of people walking around from hotels nearby.

For a first trip I would recommend DI&S, but once you are familiar with the area The Anaheim is a bit nicer with just a little further walk.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter