Comparing Anaheim Plaza Hotel and Desert Inn

Safety wise I think it’s perfectly fine. Make no mistake- the building is definitely old! But I have stayed in some pretty sketchy places so this is adequate for me!

they do charge $15 a day parking, if you’re going to have a car here.
I've pretty much stayed at most hotel levels - old motels to 4-stars. I realized that they all have their plusses and minuses, but as long as they're safe and clean, it works for me. It was actually the wonderful service at the Tropicana, I think, that convinced me to stop being a hotel snob. I'm going to keep my reservation at The Anaheim based on your very helpful feedback, and stay here as long as there isn't rain in the forecast. December can be unpredictable, so I have a closer hotel as backup, but the savings here would be awesome. More shopping $$$ 😄

Thank you! That gives me some comfort! I read it on a review somewhere (no idea where now!) that it lacked that "secondary lock" and that the family was robbed in the middle of the night. Sounds unbelievable/really unlikely to me, but I travel as a solo, petite woman, so I try to be as safey-aware as possible.

It's been a bit since my stay. But I didn't feel unsafe there for a minute. Travelling solo too.

I was waiting for a friend to pick me up for an early morning pin release in the lobby. Been doing that for years, so it never occurred to me that this may raise an eyebrow.

Staff actually came out to make sure I was alright and kept me company til my friend showed up.

Only time that ever happened in any of the hotels I stayed at in DLR.

I've stayed at Anaheim Hotel 3 times. First was a good experience and about what I expected for the money; older and a bit shabby but a large room, big balcony, and pretty cool old-timey feel.

Second and third visits left me feeling it was too much for what you got and last visit made me decide I'd prefer to spend more elsewhere than stay there again. Bait-and-switch room/rates, multiple issues with the rooms, poor/terrible service (we were often lied to), and overall unpleasant stay. My last visit was a year ago. I'm including some of my remarks from previous questions about AH:

"Me: I much prefer Park Vue over Anaheim Hotel. I just don't like that hotel. It's old and the recent refurbs didn't help it much. It has great lobby and common spaces but the rooms are shabby and include things like cracked tiles & broken fixtures, at least the 3 I saw on my last trip (took that many times to get a decent enough one to stay in, and that one still wasn't great). I've stayed there 3 times and only go if the price is really, really low. Last visit made me decide not to try again. I think if you have a smaller party, there are nicer rooms closer to the lobby, but it's just a pretty iffy booking as to what you'll end up with. "

Me earlier: "I had a great experience there when it was $89/night, pre-refurb. I thought it was cute and kitschy, and loved the retro feel. But it's now just shabby and weird everywhere but the lobby/restaurant area, with room problems almost a given. With the higher rates, it's not a place I'll return to unless things change quite a lot. I don't want to have to try 3 times before I find a room I can live with, which is the best it ever got for us.
Edited to add: we also were victims of 'bait and switch' promos. They changed our room category (downgraded), then didn't have anything in the original category so promised us comps which never came through, etc etc. It was a mess and wasted a lot of our time. "

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!