Composting Tips

mtblujeans

DIS Veteran
I got an email from Sunset magazine about composting that I thought I would share.

If anyone would like to share additional tips or experiences, please feel free. :goodvibes

I got an email from Sunset magazine about composting that I thought I would share.

If anyone would like to share additional tips or experiences, please feel free. :goodvibes

Hi,
Good starter info.
I built a nice system. Used redwood and made a 3 bin system, divided with rabbit wire and rabbit wire all around. The center one I leave empty and push my wheelbarrow into when I need some compost.
I load up one side with compost and sift it in middle one which has a top of rabbit wire that is removable.
I push the un composted stuff to the other side.
When bin 1 is empty, I am working on bin 2 .
Confused yet? <G>

Hi,
Good starter info.
I built a nice system. Used redwood and made a 3 bin system, divided with rabbit wire and rabbit wire all around. The center one I leave empty and push my wheelbarrow into when I need some compost.
I load up one side with compost and sift it in middle one which has a top of rabbit wire that is removable.
I push the un composted stuff to the other side.
When bin 1 is empty, I am working on bin 2 .
Confused yet? <G>
:laughing: No, it makes sense. :thumbsup2 Where do you have your system? How far away from your house? I have concerns about rodents if I build too close to my house. :goodvibes

HI, Mine is by the very back fence, well away from any houses. We have mice, moles, shrews , raccoons .. you know , all the usual suspects. I find a bigger issue from my trash and recycling bins and bird feeders.
The trick is... no meat, bones, animal waste. IT is grass clippings, leaves, organic material from kitchen ( I don't bother in winter tho) like coffee grounds, onion, potato peelings etc. It is also in the shade. Flip it now and again, and water if it is dry, but don't soak. Good luck!
Oops, i meant to say, the varmints are in my area, but don't seem to bother with the compost. The birds might pop by for some stuff for nesting tho.

HI, Mine is by the very back fence, well away from any houses. We have mice, moles, shrews , raccoons .. you know , all the usual suspects. I find a bigger issue from my trash and recycling bins and bird feeders.
The trick is... no meat, bones, animal waste. IT is grass clippings, leaves, organic material from kitchen ( I don't bother in winter tho) like coffee grounds, onion, potato peelings etc. It is also in the shade. Flip it now and again, and water if it is dry, but don't soak. Good luck!
Oops, i meant to say, the varmints are in my area, but don't seem to bother with the compost. The birds might pop by for some stuff for nesting tho.
:thumbsup2 thank you!

I have used open piles, bins, pits...by far the easiest is the tumbler. I have 2...one for the hot compost and one for the finished. Doesn't require hardly any work, but for a turn every time you put something in. Keeps the beasties out. Can be kept very close to the house, so it's easy to access it from my kitchen. The only constraint is the size, and the initial cost ( I think I paid about $120 apiece when I first got them). It certainly won't fit in all my raked leaves at once, so I have to keep a separate pile of those, and add them in as my compost breaks down.
composter.jpg

I just googled these...looks like they're closer to $200 apiece now...I'd go with a pile or bin at that price.

I have used open piles, bins, pits...by far the easiest is the tumbler. I have 2...one for the hot compost and one for the finished. Doesn't require hardly any work, but for a turn every time you put something in. Keeps the beasties out. Can be kept very close to the house, so it's easy to access it from my kitchen. The only constraint is the size, and the initial cost ( I think I paid about $120 apiece when I first got them). It certainly won't fit in all my raked leaves at once, so I have to keep a separate pile of those, and add them in as my compost breaks down.
composter.jpg

I just googled these...looks like they're closer to $200 apiece now...I'd go with a pile or bin at that price.
I do like the look of that concept.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter