Confessions of an Overeater...Trying to Mend her Ways (Comments Welcome!)

shellynn24

DIS Veteran
I love to eat. It makes me happy and I love to be happy. I would love nothing more than to be eating donuts right now…probably half a dozen donuts, preferably Krispy Kreme. There is something else that makes me very happy, seeing the numbers move down on the scale. Unfortunately, the two things that make me happy are at odds with one another and that makes me very unhappy. The problem I have is the food is instant gratification and the weight loss takes time…much more time then I would like considering the obsession with yummy food. I have tried all kinds of things….Weight Watchers- turns out I hate keeping track of things that closely. Plus I don’t like trying to figure out how many points my home cooked meals are worth. Counting calories- See previous complaints about WW. I don’t like to have to constantly think about how much each bite is worth, it makes my brain hurt just thinking about it. Weight Loss Program through my Dr. clinic- I am so bad about watching what I eat and wanting to eat whatever I want like some kind of spoiled brat that my daily weigh ins just show the same number or ‘gasp’ an even bigger number. Now I am at my wits end…I’m just short of pulling my hair and I have no idea how to change. The weight loss counselor just tells me to find something else that makes me happy like a hobby or just to keep healthy snacks around and fill up on that so I won’t be hungry and eat bad food. It’s not even about hunger, if it was that easy it would not be an issue and besides who wants to eat carrots instead of brownies? Sheesh!!

I started this thread on the regular WISH board but I have decided to make this into a journal about my journey to overeating recovery. I was in the Army and used to be in very good shape...ultimately, I would like to see myself in that same Army body I had 15 years ago.

I hope everyone will join me on my journey....:goodvibes

Over the past week I have been trying to do my best not to eat any unnecessary food. You know...the food you eat just because you're bored. So far I have been doing pretty well at it. I have about a 50% success rate which is better than my previous rate of about .5%.

I went on vacation about a month ago and put on about 5 lbs that up till last week I had not lost due to eating everything in sight. Well, I am happy to report that I have finally taken those 5 lbs off again. Now I just need to keep that weight off and attempt to lose a couple more. I just joined LA Fitness because they have aerobics type classes I can take throughout the week which is good because I tend to get bored with the same old exercise day after day. Currently I have about 55 more lbs to lose.

Goal…lose 60 lbs
Progress…5 lost/55 to go

Have a great day everyone :goodvibes

My philosophy is to keep all tempting foods out of the house. I'm not kidding, I could eat a box of Oreos in 2 sittings, if I let myself. So I don't buy them.

I save a lot of kcal by just leaving them in the store. ;) I'm not sure how old your kids are, but they'll understand that treats are for special occasions.

I'm making it sound "simple" and I know it's not, so I wish you a lot of luck & the thing that really makes "luck", perseverance & work. <3

My FIL is diabetic to a point where he needs a new kidney & takes a ton of insulin. I get really angry that my MIL & adult BIL who lives at home bring sugary treats into the house. Like a whole cake every week. You can't leave that kind of thing around a person who is home alone all day, it's just MEAN.

You'll get a lot of advice & feedback & "JUST do this", so I just shared one important part of my healthy eating philosophy. My other is that we eat super well 80% of the time, so we have 20% of the time we can just relax (similar to "cheat days").

Congratulations on that 5 pound loss! That's no small thing! I understand the whole carrot vs. brownie dilemma. The only suggestion I can give is to try things you never considered. I had to replace Doritos and french fries and things like that (I've never been crazy about sweets, though I have destroyed my share of cupcakes). I finally started to taste this and that, branching out, and found that I LOVE hummus. It gave me that salty, creamy taste that I crave, it tastes fantastic, and is low in Weight Watcher points but high in protein. It has become my go-to snack, and I NEVER would have thought that would be the case. I guess my rambling boils down to 'try something new'.

Oh, and congrats on being able to cut down on the snacking!

Heather

It has been a long holiday season and now I'm back to keeping my thoughts here in this journal. Over the past few months I have been working on my appetite and portions. I have really tried to use the healthy plate model my nutritionist recommends, half veggies, quater protien, quarter carb. It is working pretty well so far. It's a lot easier then trying to measure everything out. Oh, I also use a small plate, one of the kids Disney themed plates because that makes it more fun :)

Last Christmas I met the most wonderful man in the whole world (my opinion, yours may differ lol). We have been together for 14 months now and he has been very supportive of my weight loss attempts. He is my cheerleader and my motivator and that has helped more then anything. I work out with him every afternoon now and that plus healthy eating habits has really helped me make some progress these past few months. I would eventually like to run a 5k, it's a dream but maybe I can make it a reality.

Anyway, here's the results:
Goal...lose 60 lbs
Progress...20 lost/40 to go

That's right...20 lbs lost so far as of this morning!! I am owning this weight loss thing and I'm going for more lbs lost!

Congrats on losing 20lbs so far in your journey!

I really want to take off these 10 lbs that have been hanging on for too long.

Odd thing is, I do workout for the most part, pretty active (did Disney marathon weekend and I hated my photos!) but not as active as I should be. Finding excuses NOT to workout...it cannot keep going like this!

For me like yourself...its about the food.

My biggest sin is sitting watching tv at night and just eating something. I am not hungry , its more of a habbit..almost an addiction.

I have a relative who weighed close to 300 lbs and over the last few years she changed all of that and now weighs close to what I weigh...her body is toning up...I see her photos and she inspires me!

Anyway, over the last week I have NOT eaten past 6pm...and with the exception of breakfast (toast with butter) I have eaten pretty clean for me...plus I replaced using Splenda in my coffee with honey-which I recommend! I already feel lighter...I have no clue what my weight is but my stomach is going down.

I am realizing of course that I do not need to eat at night watching tv...the temptation for doing so has been strong...I will see a program I like and want to eat while watching it...I even try convincing myself to eat a little ole apple...what harm can that do? NO! I have manged NOT to do and as the evening progresses, my desire to eat dwindles...so its all bs!

Instead of eating I will just drink my crystal light flavored water...its working...plus I am working out...one day at time.

Doesn't losing that 20lbs inspire you to keep going?:banana:

I am in a similar boat OP. And the suggestions of substituting foods like trying fruit when you want something sweet just does not do it for me. If I am craving sweets, fruit isn't going to cut it. I also would not do well counting points for WW especially because I make a lot from scratch. I am too lazy to do that and I don't have time with young kids running around.

My big thing is I need to stop eating just because especially at night. I am going to start (NOW) no eating after dinner. I eat at night no matter what. I think I need to find something to keep my hands busy (of course I hate crocheting and such which would be good activities for that.) I figured if my hands are occupied I can't use them to put food in my mouth! I agree with the person who said don't have the junk in the house and don't buy it. It is actually torture for me to not have it in the house, but I can't eat it if it isn't there. Also, if I NEED something, I make myself buy a small quantity even though it costs more. Yes, it is less economical to buy an individual cookie pack instead of the whole bag, but I can't eat a whole bag if I don't have a whole bag. If we go to Krispy Kreme we limit it to ONE donut. If need be and I don't have the will power we go through the drive-through so I am not tempted by looking at the donuts.

My DH and I did the HMR diet through a medical weight loss program and lost 30lbs easily, but once we stopped (it was too expensive, we have 2 kids and I didn't like cooking separate meals, and I prefer whole foods instead of diet foods) we put the weight back on and then some.

Also, read some of the info on healthy fats and whole fat foods that is on the internet and how even though it is contrary to what we were taught, reduced fat foods are not good for you. That does not mean all fats like junk food are good for you, though! :)

For me I also need to be active. I HATE exercise and I hate gyms. I need to figure something out. Everyone in the family got jumping balls- never knew they had adult sized ones before- and two minutes on that is quite the work out!

Good luck OP! I have 50lbs to lose to be a decent weight. I am hoping to lose half of that by June, but we will see.

Congrats on losing 20lbs so far in your journey!

I really want to take off these 10 lbs that have been hanging on for too long.

Odd thing is, I do workout for the most part, pretty active (did Disney marathon weekend and I hated my photos!) but not as active as I should be. Finding excuses NOT to workout...it cannot keep going like this!

For me like yourself...its about the food.

My biggest sin is sitting watching tv at night and just eating something. I am not hungry , its more of a habbit..almost an addiction.

I have a relative who weighed close to 300 lbs and over the last few years she changed all of that and now weighs close to what I weigh...her body is toning up...I see her photos and she inspires me!

Anyway, over the last week I have NOT eaten past 6pm...and with the exception of breakfast (toast with butter) I have eaten pretty clean for me...plus I replaced using Splenda in my coffee with honey-which I recommend! I already feel lighter...I have no clue what my weight is but my stomach is going down.

I am realizing of course that I do not need to eat at night watching tv...the temptation for doing so has been strong...I will see a program I like and want to eat while watching it...I even try convincing myself to eat a little ole apple...what harm can that do? NO! I have manged NOT to do and as the evening progresses, my desire to eat dwindles...so its all bs!

Instead of eating I will just drink my crystal light flavored water...its working...plus I am working out...one day at time.

Doesn't losing that 20lbs inspire you to keep going?:banana:

I am the same way, I love to eat while watching the TV! I have been getting home from work kinda late lately and once dinner is over and dishes are done, I don't really have time to snack or even watch TV anymore. Sucks that I don't get to watch any shows but great for not snacking lol.

I have also started using crystal light flavored water so I'm not drinking my calories. Good luck with losing that last few pounds!!

I am in a similar boat OP. And the suggestions of substituting foods like trying fruit when you want something sweet just does not do it for me. If I am craving sweets, fruit isn't going to cut it. I also would not do well counting points for WW especially because I make a lot from scratch. I am too lazy to do that and I don't have time with young kids running around.

My big thing is I need to stop eating just because especially at night. I am going to start (NOW) no eating after dinner. I eat at night no matter what. I think I need to find something to keep my hands busy (of course I hate crocheting and such which would be good activities for that.) I figured if my hands are occupied I can't use them to put food in my mouth! I agree with the person who said don't have the junk in the house and don't buy it. It is actually torture for me to not have it in the house, but I can't eat it if it isn't there. Also, if I NEED something, I make myself buy a small quantity even though it costs more. Yes, it is less economical to buy an individual cookie pack instead of the whole bag, but I can't eat a whole bag if I don't have a whole bag. If we go to Krispy Kreme we limit it to ONE donut. If need be and I don't have the will power we go through the drive-through so I am not tempted by looking at the donuts.

My DH and I did the HMR diet through a medical weight loss program and lost 30lbs easily, but once we stopped (it was too expensive, we have 2 kids and I didn't like cooking separate meals, and I prefer whole foods instead of diet foods) we put the weight back on and then some.

Also, read some of the info on healthy fats and whole fat foods that is on the internet and how even though it is contrary to what we were taught, reduced fat foods are not good for you. That does not mean all fats like junk food are good for you, though! :)

For me I also need to be active. I HATE exercise and I hate gyms. I need to figure something out. Everyone in the family got jumping balls- never knew they had adult sized ones before- and two minutes on that is quite the work out!

Good luck OP! I have 50lbs to lose to be a decent weight. I am hoping to lose half of that by June, but we will see.

Having kids and losing weight is the hardest part for me because I am a single Mom. I find it difficult to fit in the workout time and still have time with my kids in the evening. It is also harder to eat "diet" food when you have to feed little ones.

Good luck with that 50 lbs!

You get to a point where you decide to do it and then you do it.

My cousin was very heavy as I already mentioned above. She was over 300lbs and then one day she changed. I think a doctor told her that at the rate she was living - she wouldn't enjoy the best part of her life! She is 47. She has been overweight for over twenty years.

She said she didn't want to see her kids get older (they are teens) and she just sit around and never be able to catch up with them. She wanted to go out and enjoy them, her life and that's what she is doing.

I know she saw a nutritionist who put her on some food plan. She joined a gym and hired a p.t. She works out 5 days a week now and is running races.

She lost over 150lbs.

While most of her experience has been nothing but positive...there is a weird drawback...she lost some friends along the way...not good ones though.

Apparently you will come across people who do not want you to succeed. They want you to stay right where you are. In THEIR comfort zone and once you decide to change you life and move forward, they don't want to have anything to do with you. Some people have critized her for trying to be a model or thinking she is something she isn't...and while she says she isn't hurt by it - the fact that she talks about it would mean she is.

So that is something to know....that some people will talk smack about you for doing this...and those are the ones you leave in your rear view mirror.

This is YOUR life and your journey and your story and no one else can live it or tell like you!

You get to a point where you decide to do it and then you do it.

My cousin was very heavy as I already mentioned above. She was over 300lbs and then one day she changed. I think a doctor told her that at the rate she was living - she wouldn't enjoy the best part of her life! She is 47. She has been overweight for over twenty years.

She said she didn't want to see her kids get older (they are teens) and she just sit around and never be able to catch up with them. She wanted to go out and enjoy them, her life and that's what she is doing.

I know she saw a nutritionist who put her on some food plan. She joined a gym and hired a p.t. She works out 5 days a week now and is running races.

She lost over 150lbs.

While most of her experience has been nothing but positive...there is a weird drawback...she lost some friends along the way...not good ones though.

Apparently you will come across people who do not want you to succeed. They want you to stay right where you are. In THEIR comfort zone and once you decide to change you life and move forward, they don't want to have anything to do with you. Some people have critized her for trying to be a model or thinking she is something she isn't...and while she says she isn't hurt by it - the fact that she talks about it would mean she is.

So that is something to know....that some people will talk smack about you for doing this...and those are the ones you leave in your rear view mirror.

This is YOUR life and your journey and your story and no one else can live it or tell like you!

I have noticed how people are either 100% behind you in your journey or they are trying to get you to eat another donut, lol. Fortunately, most of my friends have been extremely helpful and proud of my success so far. I am concerned that my best friend will not be as happy to see my weight loss when she sees me next week. We live far apart and only see each other a few times a year. My game plan is to not say anything about it unless she mentions it. The most important people in my life, my kids and my boyfriend, are fully supportive.

I have noticed how people are either 100% behind you in your journey or they are trying to get you to eat another donut, lol. Fortunately, most of my friends have been extremely helpful and proud of my success so far. I am concerned that my best friend will not be as happy to see my weight loss when she sees me next week. We live far apart and only see each other a few times a year. My game plan is to not say anything about it unless she mentions it. The most important people in my life, my kids and my boyfriend, are fully supportive.

Her response to you will be telling...it will tell you a lot about her you didn't know.

My cousin who lost the weight was shocked at how some people in her life had turned against her or didn't acknowledge what she was doing...however her husband and kids and closest friends were all behind her.

If she doesn't say anything...that will be a shame for her because it would her dismissing something you have worked very hard for.

I hope when she see's you - the first words out of her mouth will be:

OMG you look great!

Lets hope.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!