Confused on rental process

DisMom829

DIS Veteran
I had (have) a confirmed reservation coming up booked with a combo of banked, current UY and one time purchase points (didn't want to borrow) that we are unable to keep. Hubby has work obligations. I contacted a rental company and listed it for sale. KICKING myself in the booty for not using David's!
The reservation sold immediately, and broker sent over a contract that I signed and sent back immediately. This was on June 16th. Broker then sent over buyers name and I contacted DVC and changed the name and all info on the reservation to the buyer. Then sent new confirmation to broker as directed to do so. I emailed broker on Monday to see if he received all necessary information from me, he said yes. On Wednesday the 21st I emailed broker again asking about funds I should receive from sale. Contract states will be deposited to PayPal within 3-4 business days. Broker stated renter sent a check, gonna take a while. Well it's now Saturday a full week after the sale and I still have ZERO.
I can't help but feel like I'm getting rooked at this point? At the most it should take 3-4 days for a check to reach the broker in the mail? Maybe I'm being unreasonable, give them a few more days?
Hubby wants me to just call and have reservation put back in my name and go on the trip with the kids and without him. Can I get my reservation back at this point? I have received ZERO funds but I did sign a contract. I don't know what to do.

Tell them you are putting the reservation back in your name until you get the cash. And plan on taking that vacation. You can always change it back once you get the money.

Is it coming up pretty soon?

Yes, you can switch the reservation back to your name any time up to check in. It is your reservation and you own it. I agree that I would tell them you are changing it back until you get funds. Give them a small window to complete. If your contract says you should be paid within 3 - 4 days and it is beyond that, I would imagine you are within your right to back out of the deal.

If hubby said go, then I would take that route!!!!

Tell them you are putting the reservation back in your name until you get the cash. And plan on taking that vacation. You can always change it back once you get the money.

Is it coming up pretty soon?

It's not until late August/early Sept

Plus you are more than 31 days out, so you could cancel and rebook if possible (depending on your UY).

Yes, you can switch the reservation back to your name any time up to check in. It is your reservation and you own it. I agree that I would tell them you are changing it back until you get funds. Give them a small window to complete. If your contract says you should be paid within 3 - 4 days and it is beyond that, I would imagine you are within your right to back out of the deal.

If hubby said go, then I would take that route!!!!

I'm going to email again on Monday. Then I have to make a decision in order to buy plane tix.

I had (have) a confirmed reservation coming up booked with a combo of banked, current UY and one time purchase points (didn't want to borrow) that we are unable to keep. Hubby has work obligations. I contacted a rental company and listed it for sale. KICKING myself in the booty for not using David's!
The reservation sold immediately, and broker sent over a contract that I signed and sent back immediately. This was on June 16th. Broker then sent over buyers name and I contacted DVC and changed the name and all info on the reservation to the buyer. Then sent new confirmation to broker as directed to do so. I emailed broker on Monday to see if he received all necessary information from me, he said yes. On Wednesday the 21st I emailed broker again asking about funds I should receive from sale. Contract states will be deposited to PayPal within 3-4 business days. Broker stated renter sent a check, gonna take a while. Well it's now Saturday a full week after the sale and I still have ZERO.
I can't help but feel like I'm getting rooked at this point? At the most it should take 3-4 days for a check to reach the broker in the mail? Maybe I'm being unreasonable, give them a few more days?
Hubby wants me to just call and have reservation put back in my name and go on the trip with the kids and without him. Can I get my reservation back at this point? I have received ZERO funds but I did sign a contract. I don't know what to do.

If something like this ever were to come up again, do not change the reservation until funds are received. I'm not sure the different laws in play, but I would think you could reverse reservation for breach of contract on their part.

Also, I would check the broker's authorized payment methods. If they state they do not accept checks and they're telling you they're waiting on a check, that's also a dead giveaway.

Is the broker possibly waiting for the check to clear the bank before he gives you the funds? Maybe that is what he meant by "gonna take a while"?

If something like this ever were to come up again, do not change the reservation until funds are received. I'm not sure the different laws in play, but I would think you could reverse reservation for breach of contract on their part.

Also, I would check the broker's authorized payment methods. If they state they do not accept checks and they're telling you they're waiting on a check, that's also a dead giveaway.
I'm not sure that any broker is going to send the funds to the owner without the reservation being in the client's name. That's all part of the deal. Since the owner always retains control of the reservation, changing it back can happen at any point but the broker wants to be provide assurance to the renter that it's in their name when payment is made.

If the OP has not been paid by the broke within the terms of the contract, they can change the names back to their own. I doubt that the broker would go after the OP in court over the small profit that they make on a reservation, especially if the OP was never paid by them. The real loser is the renter who believes they have a reservation and made their arrangements accordingly.

IMO, what the broker is doing sounds pretty shady. The OP did not enter into a contract with the expectation of waiting for a check to clear before getting paid.The broker should have enough reserve capital to be able to pay their owners without a wait. @DisMom829 can you tell us who the broker is?

I'm not sure that any broker is going to send the funds to the owner without the reservation being in the client's name. That's all part of the deal. Since the owner always retains control of the reservation, changing it back can happen at any point but the broker wants to be provide assurance to the renter that it's in their name when payment is made.

If the OP has not been paid by the broke within the terms of the contract, they can change the names back to their own. I doubt that the broker would go after the OP in court over the small profit that they make on a reservation, especially if the OP was never paid by them. The real loser is the renter who believes they have a reservation and made their arrangements accordingly.

IMO, what the broker is doing sounds pretty shady. The OP did not enter into a contract with the expectation of waiting for a check to clear before getting paid.The broker should have enough reserve capital to be able to pay their owners without a wait. @DisMom829 can you tell us who the broker is?

The underlined part above is what has my husband and I concerned the most. Wouldn't a reputable broker have enough reserve capital in his legitimate business to pay the owner?

I sent you a message with the broker. I'm trying to be fair to them, as I sent another email this afternoon regarding payment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!