Contact Lenses in the Parks

SDSorority

Traumatized by Magic Journeys and Haunted Mansion
Hi all! Can we talk contacts for a second? How do your contacts do in your eyes on rides like SDMT, BTMRR, EE, etc? Do they dry out? Do they pop out? Any contacts tips you'd like to share for comfy park touring?? TIA!

I've experienced nothing different than I do in day-to-day life. Although my day job is testing amusement park rides.

Seriously, i re-moisten partway through the day, just like I do any given day.

Hi all! Can we talk contacts for a second? How do your contacts do in your eyes on rides like SDMT, BTMRR, EE, etc? Do they dry out? Do they pop out? Any contacts tips you'd like to share for comfy park touring?? TIA!
One of DH's contacts came out on Space Mountain (he had to go around
That day with one lens) if you wear disposables I'd recommend bringing a spare! I wear them too, never had a problem on SDMT, BTMRR or EE
I wear sunglasses most of the day, so water from wet rides sprayed my glasses & didn't get in my eyes

I've never had any issues at all. Just took along drops in case they got uncomfortable/dry.

Never had an issue, although I don't travel anywhere without a spare pair packed with my other toiletries, but they don't come to the parks with me. If you are doing the water parks you may have a different experience.

Awesome, thanks everybody! I haven't worn contacts in years, and am thinking about getting them back into the routine before our trip next month so I can wear sunglasses instead of doing the glasses on, glasses off, prescription sunglasses on, prescription sunglasses off, glasses on shuffle :rolleyes1

I didn't had problems when I wore them my last two trips. The only problem I had was some morning me my eyes seemed to try to keep me from putting them in. LOL.

I stopped wearing them last year but I plan on going to my eye dr. this week to get them again. I too have done the glasses off, sunglasses on routine on trips and it is very aggravating.

Toyed with the idea of transition lenses a few weeks ago, but going to do contacts.

No issues before. Sometimes, if I'm having general eye discomfort due to allergies, I'll throw my glasses and an pre-filled contact case in my bag just in case. Think I might have switched contacts to glasses in the evening once, but it wasn't due to any rides. My eyes were just irritated in general. I've gotten splashes in the face from Splash Mountain, kept my eyes open on fast rides, and never had any problems. I wear soft toric lenses.

I've actually been going through a bit of eye irritation the last couple of weeks and haven't been able to wear my contacts. Leave in a little over 3 weeks for my next Disney trip and have decided it's time to have someone look into the eye irritation in the hopes it will resolve before the trip so I can wear my contacts and sunglasses. I know I'll be super frustrated if I have to wear glasses full-time for the trip.

A recommendation, if you haven't been wearing contacts lately, make sure you get them soon so you've got some time to build up the number of hours you can tolerate wearing them. If you haven't used contacts in a while, it's hard to go from zero to 16+ hours a day immediately.

I wear hard lenses, they are £60 each so I wear googles on rides and look so stupid! I'm scared they will just blow out.
What do you guys think?

No issues before. Sometimes, if I'm having general eye discomfort due to allergies, I'll throw my glasses and an pre-filled contact case in my bag just in case. Think I might have switched contacts to glasses in the evening once, but it wasn't due to any rides. My eyes were just irritated in general. I've gotten splashes in the face from Splash Mountain, kept my eyes open on fast rides, and never had any problems. I wear soft toric lenses.

I've actually been going through a bit of eye irritation the last couple of weeks and haven't been able to wear my contacts. Leave in a little over 3 weeks for my next Disney trip and have decided it's time to have someone look into the eye irritation in the hopes it will resolve before the trip so I can wear my contacts and sunglasses. I know I'll be super frustrated if I have to wear glasses full-time for the trip.

A recommendation, if you haven't been wearing contacts lately, make sure you get them soon so you've got some time to build up the number of hours you can tolerate wearing them. If you haven't used contacts in a while, it's hard to go from zero to 16+ hours a day immediately.

I just made an appointment for 5pm tonight! No time to waste! :)

I've never had issues. My eyes get dry a lot too and rides will make that worse so I just wear sunglasses on them, helps keep the air out of them.

I wore gas-perm contacts for about 30 years; and your concern isn't invalid. While I never have had contacts just blow out of my eye. I have felt insecure in high wind and would squint or close my eyes because of feeling like they might. I wear daily disposable contacts now; but I was a lot more protective of losing a contact when I didn't have back ups and replacing them were costly and a lot more inconvenient.
That's what I wear now, I would feel better if I had a spare set

I just bring a small thing of eye drops to rewet mine. My contacts are old kinds--like my eye doctor said they are phasing them out and I'll have to go to a new kind in the future. They would still be soft contact lenses but made of a slightly different material. He said the ones I currently wear a lot of people find them very comfortable but they don't have as much breathability--hence they can get drier quicker and thus when I know I'm going to be in places with wind or really dry air I bring eye drops to help out.

I also bring at least one extra contact per eye when traveling as a precaution.

I wore gas perms the last time I was in WDW, and had no problem with them on any ride. Issues can come up at WDW, but the same issues can come up in ordinary life. I did no precaution there that I would not do on any other trip of the same length.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter