Continued raising of prices with Disney, anyone thinking about selling out of the DVC more?

SL6827

DIS Veteran
How many times within this fiscal year, until October 1st, 2020 do you think Disney will raise prices on food, beverage, tickets, merch, events, anything? I will admit I am glad I can go to Disney when/if I decide to, but also glad I am no longer tied down with a DVC contract. With the non stop raising of prices, have any of you thought about unloading your contract sooner verses later?

many times, by next year my guess is it will cost you at least 15% more than now. That's dues, passes, food...

Personally - no. We are a family of 3, with no possibility of additional kids. We stay primarily at Disney's Hilton Head or Vero Beach with secondary studio stays at Disney. The increases don't hit us as hard because there's just less of us. It's a blip on our vacation radar budget as mentioned above.

It's been an annual October 1st thing lately. These increases aren't anything compared to last year. What I'd like is for them to bring back the food quality to go with the higher prices. We've had several lousy meals and snacks lately, which is "disappointing" to put it gently.

No. I actually want more points! But, I just retired and will be going down almost monthly. So, the annual pass is a one time cost, which once bought, doesn’t add to more trips.

In terms of food and beverages, there are ways to make it manageable. Now, if we were still a family of 5 going..my kids are all grown, we might need to cut down, but it still wouldn’t make me want to sell.

How many times within this fiscal year, until October 1st, 2020 do you think Disney will raise prices on food, beverage, tickets, merch, events, anything? I will admit I am glad I can go to Disney when/if I decide to, but also glad I am no longer tied down with a DVC contract. With the non stop raising of prices, have any of you thought about unloading your contract sooner verses later?

Do you have doubts or regrets that you have done the wrong thing in no longer owning DVC?

We won’t be selling any contracts in the foreseeable future but we won’t be purchasing more points, either. The ticket and food prices aren’t really a deciding factor for us. We can always cook in the villa and I have a folder of unused, tickets that were purchased before surge pricing and expiration dates were a thing.

What would influence us to sell would be MFs rising every year at the rate that they did last year. We are easing into retirement and may not be able to cover thousands of dollars in MFs every January when we reach our mid-to-late 70’s. As it is, we have rented out about 1/3 of our 2019 points (mainly because we can’t use all of them) and will use that money toward the 2020 MFs. As long as we can rent out the points we aren’t going to use, we will keep the contracts.

We're not selling yet. Just took one set of grandchildren down for a week this past June. We're working on taking another set for Thanksgiving 2020. We are only beginning to introduce DVC and Disney to them. We're in it for a while. We do have a perk so far being a military family and having the benefit of some Military Salute tickets. I am the Annual Pass member of the family.

Personally - no. We are a family of 3, with no possibility of additional kids. We stay primarily at Disney's Hilton Head or Vero Beach with secondary studio stays at Disney. The increases don't hit us as hard because there's just less of us. It's a blip on our vacation radar budget as mentioned above.
I do looooovveeee Hilton Head. Nice.

No, none at all. It was only a whopping 40 point contract, lol.
As I recall, you bought that contract somewhere around the beginning of 2018. Were you disenchanted with the product within a year or was it just the realization that 40 points wasn’t going to get you too far?

Nope, not thinking of selling. I enjoy Disney. That said, next year, I may take a non-Disney cruise instead of my usual November/December timeframe WDW visit...to save points for a 12 person trip in 2021.

No but our situation is unusual. We have season passes at Busch Gardens here in Virginia. So we rent a 2 br in June for 5-6 days, and only spend one day at the MK. The rest of the time we get into Sea World and Aquatica for free with our BG season pass. We spend one day at the resort, and go out to lunch somewhere at Disney Springs. Our DVC is long paid for. However, I'll be the first to say, I never thought ticket prices would go up so much. We bought in 1993, and I never envisioned this.

I haven't been a member long enough to be disenchanted, but the last round of AP increases has halted my addonitis. Right now I have enough points to go every 2 out of 3 years and I was planning to increase that so I could go a bit more than once a year, but with the price of passes, I'll stick with what I have and go elsewhere in the off year.

No, not yet. We’ve owned 15 years and are still using and enjoying the points. Mind you, I’m not in the market to increase our DVC holding ... but I’m happy to stand ”as is” for now.

As once said, somewhere on this forum, a few years back, “The points are more useful/valuable to me than the next person, “ as reference to resale restrictions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter