Continued raising of prices with Disney, anyone thinking about selling out of the DVC more?

Not getting political here, but DIS is raising their salaries in the area of 50% - It always hits the consumer.

But everything is expensive. Its not just Disney. Maybe Disney more so, but when has that not been the case.

Life is expensive. Disney's price changes have not changed my view on my DVC ownership.

The price increases haven't yet impacted my decision to go to WDW, but they do change the way I spend my money. If something costs more than I think it has value, then I don't buy it or replace it with something else. After this last trip I found that I liked eating at Disney Springs a lot better than some of the restaurants in the parks, so next trip I won't be booking those park restaurants.

No, I have no intentions of selling my two contracts. All of my kids are adults now, one married and we typically travel to WDW during Food & Wine. They cover most of their own expenses and stay on mom's DVC dime, so the price increases pose minimal impact to me. In fact, I'm waiting to see how the Riviera restrictions pan out as I'd like to eventually purchase a resale contract there. I'm from Southern California and average visits to WDW every other year, but I'd like to make annual trips. The aesthetic of Riviera and its proximity to Epcot, our favorite park is extremely appealing to me.

Glad we discovered Hilton Head in 2010. I can use my points, get a somewhat Disneyfied vacation and not spend much money at all. Is it the parks? No but it's an actual VACATION! Relaxation and no schedule, no FPs, no 180 day dining.

We can't afford to go to WDW more than once a year (we average about once every 18 months to a park so APs don't work for us and when you consider a 4 day base ticket is going to cost us $1800+...OUCH). We are happy that we have the option to go to DHHIR. Haven't tried VB yet either and look forward to someday going to Aulani.

We only have 150 points, never added on. Dues aren't bad and we have the 11 month window at BCV if we choose to stay there. Makes it much more feasible.

No. We are very happy Owners.
I was glad to see that so many folks are happy as well. The “naysayers “ like the OP seem to be in the minority here

DH and I are retired, and recently we have taken many cruises to destinations we always wanted to see. Australia coming up in March. Once we have cruises to all desired places, we will actually use all our points to stay longer at WDW. Now for two years we have rented some out.

WDW HHI VB will be our primary vacations to go to!

DH and I are retired, and recently we have taken many cruises to destinations we always wanted to see. Australia coming up in March. Once we have cruises to all desired places, we will actually use all our points to stay longer at WDW. Now for two years we have rented some out.

Love love love VB!!!

We had 7 contracts and sold OKW some time back and 3 this summer....AKL, BC and a small CC. Kept BWV, SSR and Vero. It wasn't really rising prices that made our decision (although the annual dues for multiple contracts were getting up there), but more that we've been visiting WDW since MK opened, we were original Disney Vacation Club members, and since our retirement, are off on other adventures. Saved the three for future grandchildren to enjoy WDW and the beach.

The price increases haven't yet impacted my decision to go to WDW, but they do change the way I spend my money. If something costs more than I think it has value, then I don't buy it or replace it with something else. After this last trip I found that I liked eating at Disney Springs a lot better than some of the restaurants in the parks, so next trip I won't be booking those park restaurants.
You are where we are. We have a selected set of restaurants we like at the resorts but we have been spending more of our dining dollars in Disney Springs. Owning at SSR, we find we will do our day’s activity, come home and freshen up, and then hop a boat.
To OP - we live outside of DC, where almost all entertainment/restaurants/movies are high priced. WDW prices don’t shock me because in many cases they are still lower than what I pay at home. We have 320 points and pay our MF monthly by auto withdrawal so we don’t suffer the Jan MF blues. This year’s fees went up by the cost of 2 Venti coffees; it didn’t phase me.
DVC remains a good family value for us.

We sold our contract this year. But our decision to sell wasn’t a middle finger to Disney. We love it there and wish we could go all the time but coming from western Canada going for a weekend getaway isnt an option. It would be our yearly trip.
We bought before kids and now that they are at the age of activities we cant guarantee trips to WDW all the time and going for weeks or so gets really expensive. We thought about doing Aulani trips every three years (absolutely love it there) or renting points but renting points has tax implications for Canadians that I’d rather not deal with.
At the end of it the timing of a weak Canadian dollar netted us a huuuuge profit that we couldn’t pass up. We are sad we don’t own anymore but when we go back we will just rent points.

Over the last ten years, wage growth has been stagnant, barely keeping up with inflation, and total inflation has been about 20%, e.g., indicating the average cost of something that was $100 in 2009 is now $120. Disney's practice during those ten years was to never lower prices but instead keep raising them on almost everything more and more, apparently trying to determine when, if ever, people would stop going because it costs too much. Examples include that the price of a 7-day park hopper has increased close to 90% since 2009 ($286 to about $540), a bottle of water at the parks 75% ($2 to $3.50), a dinner at Hollywood & Vine more than 100% ($25 to $52), an annual pass using the DVC discount 130% ($389 to $899 – to $699 if you include the limited-use Gold Pass now offered), the per point price of Bay Lake Tower 100% ($112 to $225), and the annual dues for AKV 71% ($4.85 to $7.44).

The issue many can face has likely become not just losing a desire to go because of price increases, but also being unable to afford to go anymore. We go and probably will continue to own and go for a while, but increased prices along with other changes are becoming more and more disconcerting, which changes include the development in the last ten years of DVC’s anti-member attitude, including its elimination of perks for resale purchasers, its willingness to ignore express provisions it included in the prior POS’s relating to resale purchasers having a right to reserve at any DVC Resort, and its defending its decision to ignore prior written representations in documents given to purchasers, which limited re-allocations of points to those needed to correct changes in seasonal (not room size) demand, by simply declaring DVC is not bound by its prior representations.

Last edited:
wait did you say thousands of dollars in m f . I thought m f were only $100 to $150 a year regard where your contract is.....wow.
We pay $192 per month for our 325 points on two contracts (275 and 50). But we usually go around roughly 15 nights per year. We used to have 500 points, but we sold two contracts in 2006 to reduce the fees we were paying at the time. We're Florida residents now so we can get the Weekday ticket. We might even get the after 4 Epcot ticket since we mostly go to Epcot. The last time we actually bought a Premium Plus Annual Pass it cost around $400. I'd never buy that now. If we still lived in Louisiana, we might sell, but in Florida, we live near the beach when we aren't going to WDW or baseball games in Miami.

We just got back from our F&W trip last night and did a bunch of first time things. Pandora (snooze fest), Galaxy's Edge (another snooze fest), visited Toy Story Land (only had Toys Story Midway Mania last time we were in DHS), Skyliner (fun as long as it doesn't stop), Mediterranean Food & Wine Pairing (was really very good), booked our dog at Best Friends (she must have been busy there since she is sleeping all day long today).

Last edited:
Nope, not even remotely considering selling. If we could easily afford it, we'd add on even more points. Yes, prices have gone up - but so have the prices for most non Disney vacations we take.

Australia is awesome, wife and I did it for our honeymoon for 3 weeks, visiting 3 cities and a lot of the parks, hope you have as good of a time as we did!

As I recall, you bought that contract somewhere around the beginning of 2018. Were you disenchanted with the product within a year or was it just the realization that 40 points wasn’t going to get you too far?
No, I had a blast with my DVC contract. I got too stay two nights in a CL room at AKVs, and didn't even own there. I decided to sell it to put the money towards a weight loss surgery I would like to have next year. Was planning on doing it in December, but will be in the Spring of next year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter