Coolers still okay?

Padre Disney

<font color=009999>No longer the Tagless Lurker!
I'm sure you guys get sick of this cooler question.
But
I am planning on bringing our soft sided cooler on wheels. Dh thinks I'm crazy and is worried that we will not be allowed to bring it on. He pointed out that the doccuments said NO COOLERS. I just don't want to be on the first sailing that DCL might decide not to allow coolers at all. I mostly have diet caffeine free drinks that I don't think are available on the ship. Plus a few other fun things.
So just wanting to make sure that recent cruisers have taken on a cooler with no problems.
Thank you
Bev

To be safe I am taking our drinks on in small heavy duty rolling duffle bag and bringing a collapsible soft sided cooler.

Padre Disney are you planning on roll your cooler aboard? If so I don't think it will be allowed. Only if you have medical reasons for the uses of it. We always take a large soft sided cooler but we have everything packed in our luggage. If I have bottles of wine or anything glass I pack that in my carry-on.
Good Luck!

I agree with the others, do not try and wheel on a cooler. Collapse it down and pack your drinks in other carry-on bags. :)

We always have taken a small softside cooler in our luggage and had our room host/hostess fill it with ice. Bringing the pop etc, won't be questioned by Disney I doubt they let your bring the rolling cooler. You might get by if you have carry-on items packed in it. I've thought about that as a lightweight piece of luggage. One word of warning, our softside always tends to leak so we have to keep it in the tub. At least it worked better keeping things cold compared to the cooling box. Those just never worked for us. Kathy

Is this situation new? Last August we had no problem with our soft-sided wheeled cooler. The luggage attendant at the sidewalk took it right along with our other luggage. We just had some canned soda and a few wine coolers in there. I don't think there was any way we could have packed that in our luggage - no room - although we did use it as a "carry-on" piece on the way home with souvenirs inside.

Did something specifically happen where you cannot do this any more?

Ruth

You know, maybe a cat. 3 does have a frig. I just assumed it was a cooling box like in a cat. 6. As far as why the change, I don't remember when it started. I do remember reading on the board when it happened but I can't remember if it was before our last cruise 3/16/02 or after it. I know the docs we have for this cruise, 3/15/03 state no coolers allowed unless needed for medical reasons.

I still am curious if one couldn't use a rolling cooler for luggage. Dule duty luggage, a suitcase going and coming home but during, a cooler! Kathy

The Cat. 3s do have a mini-refrigerator under the wet bar area. :)

Thank you Michelle. Again the board saved me. Kathy

Are we talking about the soft coolers that are identical to luggage. The piece I have looks like luggage and has a soft cooler inside. If I did not know it was a cooler I would think it was regular luggage.

The porters who handle the luggage outside the terminal will take it, but beware that if you have glass bottles packed in it that they will most likely get broken. I had a cans of pina colada mix packed in our luggage that got dented pretty bad. Pack your bottles in your carry-ons.
On your way home they don't care what you carry off. They just want to get everyone off the ship and out of the terminal so they can get ready for the next cruise.

When you get your docs you will read that it does say "NO COOLERS". It's better to be discrete on this matter.

My soft sided cooler looks kind of like a back pack on wheels. I planned on putting a bottle of wine in it and packing clothes and stuff on top of it and wheeling it on as a carry-on. Now I'm having second thoughts.

For those of you who have brought a bottle of wine and a couple of other drinks in your carry-on, how heavy was it?

We carried on two bottles of wine in a tote bag, along with some other stuff like suntan lotion, toiletries, etc. The bag was heavy!!!

Luckily our room was ready by the time we were done with lunch so we dropped off everything off and then went on with our day.

MJ

We do have a wine bottle packed into a pull behind that is a suitcase and we will be carrying it on because of the glass issue. We would not want the wine to break and possible get other peoples clothing wet.
On our first cruise we packed our drinks into a pull behind suitcase and carried it on with us with no problems. But since our room cooler didn't work well enough for us we wanted to take a cooler for use in the room for this cruise. Dh likes his beer cold not room temp and I drink diet caffeine free drinks only.
I read these boards almost daily and am surpised at how some people can do things that others are not allowed to do.
I have no problem with packing my drinks into a bag that I will carry on and collapse the cooler and pack it in my checked luggage. It just seems silly to seperate the 2 when in the end your just going to put the drinks in the cooler anyway. Either way I will be carrying my drinks on. I would not check them.
I would just be angry if I went to all the extra trouble only to have the guy behind me wheel his large hard sided cooler on board packed with drinks. (I read a post a while back about a guy having a hard sided cooler on a little cart and he wheeled it right on)
I just want to get my drinks on board the correct way.

Last Sunday we packe a large duffel with wheels...3 12 pack sodas, and 3 six packs of beer and 12 waters...2 bottles of wine...It worked great.....we have a small soft sided cooler that we put stuff in but the first ay the stateroom hostesss brought us a full size cooler to put everything in....It was wonderful and a great treat that I hadn't read about before...

Last Sunday we packe a large duffel with wheels...3 12 pack sodas, and 3 six packs of beer and 12 waters...2 bottles of wine...It worked great.....we have a small soft sided cooler that we put stuff in but the first ay the stateroom hostesss brought us a full size cooler to put everything in....It was wonderful and a great treat that I hadn't read about before...

I haven't heard about that either - that must have been a great surprise.

Did you check the duffel with wheels with the porter or did you wheel it on yourself after going through security?

Ruth

In planning stages for August, 2004!!!

wow zurgswife
That is great news.
Dh read your posts and is wondering if we have even packed enough drinks. :)

We bought our cooler at Sams. It has a little bag on the top to put other things in and it is on wheels. We planned on taking it to CC for the day.

So do you think that we should put the drinks in a suitcase to carry on and pack the cooler with clothes to check with the porters?

Thanks all
Bev

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter