Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

so the Disney Wonder is headed back across the Panama Canal.
Do you think it will come back to San Diego in the fall for the cruises to mexico?

I read some accounts which seem to indicate both a disembarkation/repatriation of Fantasy/Dream crew/contract workers at ports in the Caribbean as well as transfers of those persons to the Disney Magic. Is it possible that DCL is getting the Fantasy and the Dream cleared out enough to at least have some sailings soon from Port Canaveral? My guess is once cleared, the ships start fresh with a whole new group of workers in time for the late July/August sailings? I assume DCL needs to at least plan for this small possibility as they continue to book sailings for that time period? Just all seems clear as mud at this point......if they have no real plan to start as early as August, they should be more transparent I think. Would also like to know how many crew still need to be repatriated from the Fantasy and the Dream. That might also give us some further clues. I also find all the of the posts with topics such as...."which is better - Remy or Palo" a bit humorous during this time when we can't even get on the boat........:)

Do you think it will come back to San Diego in the fall for the cruises to mexico?

I think it will. Those cruises do not leave until October which is 4 months away. Why sit around in California until then when all of their resources are in Florida? The Oct/Nov cruises are are guaranteed sailings with paid passengers. The cost is significant to go through the Panama Canal but it's probably not going to cost them more than leaving the ship empty until November. I can not imagine they would make more by selling last minute cruises out of Port Canaveral or Galveston when they already have 3 other ships with plenty of availability during off peak season.

I highly doubt that they would cross the PC twice. If they were going to continue on with the Cali/Mex sailings, why not leave it on the West Coast? At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if they take the Wonder and Magic out of commission altogether for the Fall. Easier to maintain social distancing in both crew and guest spaces on the bigger ships probably, and just keep turning over those 3/4 night sailings to CC, Nassau and back.

ETA: Just looked at the last-minute discounts and the only ones are on the Dream, Fantasy, and my October HOTHS cruise on the Magic to Bermuda. So I think the Wonder West Coast cruises and the Canadian Magic cruises are probably going to be canceled.

(2nd cruise has been canceled)was able to get my Aug 2020 FFC applied to a Jun 2021 reservation. I really wish they gave a clear accounting of what's what. It seemed like it was more when I moved the original cancel from the PIF Jun 2020 to the Aug cruise 2020.

I highly doubt that they would cross the PC twice. If they were going to continue on with the Cali/Mex sailings, why not leave it on the West Coast? At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if they take the Wonder and Magic out of commission altogether for the Fall. Easier to maintain social distancing in both crew and guest spaces on the bigger ships probably, and just keep turning over those 3/4 night sailings to CC, Nassau and back.

ETA: Just looked at the last-minute discounts and the only ones are on the Dream, Fantasy, and my October HOTHS cruise on the Magic to Bermuda. So I think the Wonder West Coast cruises and the Canadian Magic cruises are probably going to be canceled.

I agree. There's also the issue of staffing all four ships at once. I think that's going to be a huge issue.

I go back and forth on this one... All the Pacific Coast cruises that didn't touch Canada are still in there and available for booking. I could be cynical and say it is just because they want to continue to collect deposits and payments (and delay making refunds and FCCs), but I don't think they are a done deal as far as canceling them goes. I lean towards the idea that they still intend to sail them (for now).

The Wonder can go to the East Coast, re-patriate Cast Members along the way, and be ready over there for cruising to resume (after a fantastic photo op with the rest of the family).

If cruising does happen to resume in whatever capacity in August, they'll be in a position where they could re-crew and maybe pick up a few last minute short Carribbean itineraries (where they could be practicing their newly learned Covid-Avoidance Ninja Skills). They could even schedule a crazy last minute WBPC to offset the cost to get back through the canal), and be ready for the first Pacific Coast on September 14th.

All 100% optimistic speculation/delusion of course, and based on zero expertise. Really, just going off the fact that they canceled my Vancouver to San Diego that would have arrived in SD on the 14th, while leaving the SD-Baja cruise that leaves on the 14th (and all the rest) untouched, tempting me and my freshly minted FCC.

So, a follow-up to our cancelled July 1st Greek Isles. I am mostly happy to report about refunds. DCL was great and we had our refund quickly. British Airways, once they finally cancelled our flights, was very prompt about refunds as well. Hotels (the Waldorf Cavalieri) went ahead and cancelled for us, so we weren't out there either. The ONLY bad apple, so far, has been "The Roman Guy" tours who we had scheduled a Vatican tour with. They had a "24-hour Cancellation Guarantee" with refund that we booked under, but they have since "changed" their terms of service and are not offering anyone refunds, just credits that must be used within 3 years. Needless to say, we are not going back in the next 3 years, so we will probably be out that money. I looked on a popular review website and apparently, I am not the only person in this boat with them. Makes me think they won't be in business...

I also had a multi level tour in the Colosseum with the Roman Guy and I agree with you. I'm frustrated as I would only get 50% back or let them hold our money. So I let them hold it till next year. It really is our hope we can go, but yes, they have been the bad apple. Most things in Spain I had cancelled before I even contacted them. I purposefully went with the Roman Guy because of the large web presence and ability to offer the tour I wanted.

Doesn’t give me much hope that cruises will resume soon
Yeah, I also read the interview from the doctor saying cruises can have a spread rate of a nursing home. I am NOT a big covid worry wart. I am A-OK on state reopening, going out to eat, doing things safe, etc. However, I have been thinking of my past disney cruises and how on earth they can distance us. I look at the rules for WDW then look at NCL and think to myself "there is no WAY disney can tell resort and park guests to wear a masks and cruises not to! or limit experiences, characters, parties, while the cruise can go on as normal..........I don't think so. Everything that a disney cruise is from the plot driven shows, new movies, characters, food, unique parties, and kids clubs I do not see how Disney can sail with just "we will clean better and take temps". I just don't see it. I am going with a group and I don't want to go also knowing they will split our group of 15 up probably.

Even if they do sail, I am very worried if ONE person comes down with something or a fever........my child got sick one night on DCL. A few other kids did too. It was a small bug. If ONE person comes down with something I don't want to imagine being stuck in our cabins or bobbing at sea while we find a port to get off at. Also my work didn't sound too thrilled I may have to stay and work at home for two weeks when i return. School starts and rules are not 100% set in stone for fall 2020, but they made it sound like kids who leave the country have to stay home for two weeks and do virtual school.

Disney has given no communication on late summer sailing. I don't need a return to sail date even, just a "this is how it will probably work" conditions. We know the current ones they have posted probably will not fly. They had those up and the CDC still closed it. I have done DCL before, it will be there after the vaccine. I went ahead and booked September 2021. I know I can sit and pray they cancel for the 125% FCC and also keep my PC and OBC; at this point, my husband and I don't care. Our ADRs at WDW are gone, our Halloween party pre cruise at WDW will be very limited. All of this is too much money for the worrying and stress. We found a beach condo place, they only have seven units left. We are canceling our whole disney vacation and moving to that. I hate it, I always do disney once a year in some form. I just can't justify the costs with unknowns or the risks. I feel bad because I am one of the facebook admins and FE organizer for my facebook sailing group. I will stick with them and help organize. It just stinks. :( But I have to do what is best for my family.

Yeah, I also read the interview from the doctor saying cruises can have a spread rate of a nursing home. I am NOT a big covid worry wart. I am A-OK on state reopening, going out to eat, doing things safe, etc. However, I have been thinking of my past disney cruises and how on earth they can distance us. I look at the rules for WDW then look at NCL and think to myself "there is no WAY disney can tell resort and park guests to wear a masks and cruises not to! or limit experiences, characters, parties, while the cruise can go on as normal..........I don't think so. Everything that a disney cruise is from the plot driven shows, new movies, characters, food, unique parties, and kids clubs I do not see how Disney can sail with just "we will clean better and take temps". I just don't see it. I am going with a group and I don't want to go also knowing they will split our group of 15 up probably.

Even if they do sail, I am very worried if ONE person comes down with something or a fever........my child got sick one night on DCL. A few other kids did too. It was a small bug. If ONE person comes down with something I don't want to imagine being stuck in our cabins or bobbing at sea while we find a port to get off at. Also my work didn't sound too thrilled I may have to stay and work at home for two weeks when i return. School starts and rules are not 100% set in stone for fall 2020, but they made it sound like kids who leave the country have to stay home for two weeks and do virtual school.

Disney has given no communication on late summer sailing. I don't need a return to sail date even, just a "this is how it will probably work" conditions. We know the current ones they have posted probably will not fly. They had those up and the CDC still closed it. I have done DCL before, it will be there after the vaccine. I went ahead and booked September 2021. I know I can sit and pray they cancel for the 125% FCC and also keep my PC and OBC; at this point, my husband and I don't care. Our ADRs at WDW are gone, our Halloween party pre cruise at WDW will be very limited. All of this is too much money for the worrying and stress. We found a beach condo place, they only have seven units left. We are canceling our whole disney vacation and moving to that. I hate it, I always do disney once a year in some form. I just can't justify the costs with unknowns or the risks. I feel bad because I am one of the facebook admins and FE organizer for my facebook sailing group. I will stick with them and help organize. It just stinks. :( But I have to do what is best for my family.
I don't blame you one bit. At this rate, we probably won't hear from Disney for another three weeks (since they made an announcement this week). That'll pretty much put us at July.

Anyone else here on a Magic sailing in October of this year? We're on the Oct 17 out of NYC to Canada. Obviously Canada isn't happening but wondering if they may switch it to Bermuda. It's only a 5 night so that's about the only other international port they can hit.

Sixteen of my family are booked in August 2020 to celebrate my parents' 50th wedding anniversary, and wanted cabanas so badly that my parents booked Concierge and had to PIF at the usual time - and got the cabanas - yay! We were so excited as this would be the first Disney cruise for all of us. However, now I'm really worried that doing that was a mistake. If the ship sails, I don't really care if it's not the full experience, as long as we get to Castaway Cay, but I am worried about the safety of my parents. It would help to know what precautions will be taken. I don't mind wearing a mask at all for something like a show, but it's impossible to do that at dinner. If we are truly so worried that it would ruin the vacation, we can always cancel and lose some money (we have the cancel for any reason trip insurance, so I think that we can get back 75%?) but I deep down I am hoping that it cancels so that we can stop worrying about it and start from scratch. If only I could stop day dreaming about Castaway Cay!

I look at the rules for WDW then look at NCL and think to myself "there is no WAY disney can tell resort and park guests to wear a masks and cruises not to! or limit experiences, characters, parties, while the cruise can go on as normal..........I don't think so.

Exactly.... whether in or out of US or US rules, or US registry, or whatever, Disney is going to have to keep something that resembles consistency throughout it's system. There may be some wiggle room for minor differences based on operation type or region/location, but I think the big visible things (especially masks) are going to be "non-negotiable" from one to the other.... and that is a biggie considering how many people are refusing to participate/go if masks are required.

Disney is going to have to keep something that resembles consistency throughout it's system

Why? Anybody can clearly see that cruising is an entirely different animal than themeparks. A reasonable person would not have the expectation that the two would have consistent policies at all. The policies are night and day even from the very start just getting in the door.

Anyone else here on a Magic sailing in October of this year? We're on the Oct 17 out of NYC to Canada. Obviously Canada isn't happening but wondering if they may switch it to Bermuda. It's only a 5 night so that's about the only other international port they can hit.
We are also booked on the Oct 17 cruise out of NYC to Canada and I was wondering exactly the same thing! I have no idea what is involved to switch the itinerary over to Bermuda, but I would be fine with that. We were also thinking of just switching to the Oct 12 Bermuda cruise when ours is cancelled. I'm just concerned Bermuda may not even be open by then, anyway.

Why? Anybody can clearly see that cruising is an entirely different animal than themeparks. A reasonable person would not have the expectation that the two would have consistent policies at all. The policies are night and day even from the very start just getting in the door.
Health and safety standards don’t change by land or sea. The virus spreads the same way regardless if you are on a ship or in a theme park or resort. If anything, due to limited access to advanced healthcare facilities and the close quarters, the ship may be stricter. In the past cruise lines have regularly instituted occasional protocols such as no self-service to avoid disease when such has rarely been put in place at land-based locations.

This is what we were told too. On our PIF date, the CM told me that if we couldn’t go due to flights or our country locking down again (UK), but the ship was sailing, normal cancellation policy would apply.

As a result we cancelled, losing our OBC and PH discount. I have subsequently found someone on our cruise FB page was able to keep theirs. I’m going to email DCLto find out why the inconsistency.
I lost everything, obb credit etc when I cancelled on my PIF date to Greece. DCL would not budge.

• Angry
Reactions: K8T

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!