Cost effective way to cruise when you are a family of 5

We also have a family of 5 and we prefer to book 2 adjoining balcony cabins (NCL, Carnival, RCCL) or a balcony cabin adjacent to a Junior Suite (on RCCL). We once booked a full Suite that slept 5 on NCL but felt the room wasn't large enough to justify the cost and we still had to share a bathroom for all of us. We much prefer the 2 full bathrooms for our family and found that 2 rooms is always much cheaper for us than a larger family room or balcony. There aren't many of those and they charge a premium for them. We also like that we can open the balconies and have a larger balcony as well. We are booked in adjoining balconies on Carnival Vista this July and on the Disney Fantasy this October. We once booked a balcony room for us with kids in an interior across the hall but my husband kept worrying that we couldn't get into their room in an emergency (in case of a fire....) So.... Adjoining rooms it has been from then on! We prefer a balcony room but my sister and her husband prefer interior rooms which they feel allow them to sleep much better since they are darker!

We've done 5 cruises as a family of 5. Four on RCCL and once on Carnival Magic. Twice in a family cabin and 3 times with cabins next door. The 2 times we did a family cabin it was on Independence of the Seas in cabin 8500 which is huge. It has 3 separate sleeping areas with doors separating the areas. It was much cheaper than booking 2 rooms. The other times on RCCL (Allure and Freedom) it was practically the same price for 2 as a family cabin so we went with connecting cabins. It varies cruise by cruise. On Carnival Magic we had side by side balconies but not connecting rooms. I actually liked that better. We were able to open the balcony divider and go back and forth that way. My kids are all teens, if they were little I would want connecting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!