Costa Rica packing questions - first ABD

vikequeen

DIS Veteran
We are going on our first ABD with Costa Rica in a few weeks. I found a thread here with a few packing tips, but does anyone have any other thoughts about what we really need (or don't need) as we head out on this trip? Anything different about packing for an ABD versus other travel I might not have thought of? Thank you . . very excited and very nervous about this trip. We've never traveled with a tour group of any kind before.

Hi! you will have a great time. I recommend bug spray and quick dry clothes. you also definitely need a water shoe for the rafting- you can't wear flip flops.

Hi! you will have a great time. I recommend bug spray and quick dry clothes. you also definitely need a water shoe for the rafting- you can't wear flip flops.
thank you. I've read a few places that keens might be ok for rafting. any insight? I'm hoping they will work fine.

yes keens are great. fyi it's humid so things don't dry super fast. so good to have another pair of shoes to change in to after you are done rafting

You'll have a great time, zip-lining by Mt. Arenal was a definite highlight. You can rent a Go-Pro if you want to record your zip-lining, I assume you could bring your own Go-Pro if you want. The guides are well prepared but there is a long bus ride with windy roads so bring medicine if you need it. The dinners aren't super formal so I recommend bringing comfortable clothing. Always suggest packing light.

Just in case anyone else finds this post in their research, I found this list doing google research today. Its pretty helpful

https://www.luxurytravelmom.com/lifestyle/what-to-wear-adventures-by-disney-costa-rica/

Keep in mind the itinerary has changed a little since then. The trip goes to different places.

I use Chacos with a toe loop for rafting, they work well. Leggings for the zip line is a good idea, I think I wore capris. It's rainy in part of the country, so I would recommend some rain gear. And quick dry clothes are a good suggestion as well.

As for ABD vs other travel, they will provide snacks for the bus rides, so no need to bring that kind of thing yourself. I usually find the guides carry bug spray and sunblock as well if you forget it.

I just noticed that my adventure handbook says sunscreen and bub spray should be lotion and not aerosol. Does anyone know if that's a mandatory requirement? I have a terrible time getting the lotion kind on my kids (although I prefer it).

Costa Rica is very environmentally friendly. I think that is probably why they included that in the book. I think if you are applying it standing next to the rest of the group you probably should avoid a spray but if you step a few feet away etc. you should be fine. We brought one bottle of spray and didn't have any issues. They also have a pump bug spray that we got. Definitely get a good quality bug spray. it was a great trip but I definitely came home with a million bug bites!

I just noticed that my adventure handbook says sunscreen and bub spray should be lotion and not aerosol. Does anyone know if that's a mandatory requirement? I have a terrible time getting the lotion kind on my kids (although I prefer it).

If you want a sunscreen recommendation, I love Supergoop Everyday Broad Sunscreen. It goes on easily and isn’t sticky or funny smelling. Kids don’t complain about it. (Most of our summer camps don’t allow sprays.)

If you want a sunscreen recommendation, I love Supergoop Everyday Broad Sunscreen. It goes on easily and isn’t sticky or funny smelling. Kids don’t complain about it. (Most of our summer camps don’t allow sprays.)
Thx! I’m shopping for sunscreen today.

You will need long pants or "clam diggers" ( capris) for the zip line. Shorts are not the best for safety reasons. Those pants that the legs zip off around the knees are great for the zip line and can be used later when the weather gets hot. Rain ponchos that fold up small in your back pack are a must IMO for sometimes showers just appear and disappear. You made a great choice for Costa Rica is a wonderful friendly welcoming country packed with natural wonder. Enjoy the coffee and chocolates.

You will need long pants or "clam diggers" ( capris) for the zip line. Shorts are not the best for safety reasons. Those pants that the legs zip off around the knees are great for the zip line and can be used later when the weather gets hot. Rain ponchos that fold up small in your back pack are a must IMO for sometimes showers just appear and disappear. You made a great choice for Costa Rica is a wonderful friendly welcoming country packed with natural wonder. Enjoy the coffee and chocolates.
Do you recall if keens (waterproof closed toe) were ok for zip lining ? I’ve worn tennis shoes when zipping in the past in Hawaii But was trying to avoid packing them this trip.

My wife wore her Keens on the zip line and was fine. So long as they are closed toed and stay on your feet than it seems it would be fine. If they fall off then "FORGETABOUTIT", you'll never find them in the jungle hundreds of feet below. You wear a helmet and I thought that funny for if you ever fell off than maybe they would find only the helmet.

We are back -- thanks for the packing tips. Loved our trip -- it was fantastic. And it helped to be prepared!

PLEEEEEASE share your trip. We, who have traveled to this spot, are dying to hear all the details.

We are back -- thanks for the packing tips. Loved our trip -- it was fantastic. And it helped to be prepared!
I know this thread is a little old but I’m on the same boat as you are from last year! We’re going this March and was wondering if you had any tips. Did you pack Keen and a pair of sneakers? For rafting and ziplining, does it need to be closed toe sandals or can it be just sandals? I think I’m overthinking this but the packing for all the unknowns is making me nervous.

They have a gift shop by the rafting where you can buy water shoes - quality was good enough but in hindsight we should have brought our own. For ziplining regular sneakers is fine... there is an option to rent a go pro if you want a nice video of the ride down. My kids had to go down tandem style with 2 other kids (similar age) and we split the cost.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!