Couch to ME - mpeanut running & weight loss journal (comments welcome)

mpeanut

Mouseketeer
Who: mpeanut - 34 years old, mom of 2 girls, wife, with a very part time job and part time volunteer job. I love reading about and planning Disney trips. We don't have another trip planned since our Oct. visit, but I think we will be back in 2014 unless I can talk DH into a Disney Cruise before then.

What: lose 20 pounds, be able to comfortably run 3 miles at least 4 times a week by starting up C25k again (I am currently on week 3, but took a few days off because gym was closed due to a major snow storm)

Where: eating better at home, running on treadmill at gym until the 2.5 feet of snow on the ground melts and then outside

Why: I've been reading and following journals for a while now. I decided I should start my own as a way to record my progress and make myself accountable for sticking to some fitness goals.
I have two little girls at home and have found in the last few months I have had less energy to keep up with them and don't feel like myself. I'm wiped out by 2:00. So rather than turning to more coffee :coffee: I decided I should get moving :yay:
I weighed in this morning and saw that I was up 5 pounds from where I was for our trip to WDW in October. My lower back has been bugging me at night, as well, and this has always been a sign that I've put on a few pounds. So it's time to shed some weight and get my energy back.
The time to exercise will also be a nice time to relax and be alone for a while.

When: start day today! no more excuses of bad weather, sick kids, busy schedule....

Weight Loss Goal-
current weight: 145 (it may not seem like a lot, but I am 5'1.5 and very squishy around the middle)
goal: 125 by the end of May and keep it off

Running Goal
- complete a 5k at the end of April (there are two coming up locally and I'm trying to decide which one to sign up for as my first)
- then complete at least one 5k a month through the fall - and maybe get up to a 10k in the fall

Overall Plans-
weight loss - start with cutting back on carbs, sugar, and unhealthy afternoon snack habit. eat more fruits and veggies.
running - C25k, then run regularly and sign up for 5k's to keep motivated, start spinning classes at the gym once schedule opens up a bit more in the spring

Plan this week-
Tues- C25k and 30 min walk with baby while older DD is at dance class- DONE!!
Wed- walk with baby while older DD is at school- DONE
Thurs- C25k- DONE
Fri- yoga video with DDs joining in
Sat- C25k while DH watches DDs
Sun - bike or elliptical while DH watches DDs

Thanks for reading :)

Who: mpeanut - 34 years old, mom of 2 girls, wife, with a very part time job and part time volunteer job. I love reading about and planning Disney trips. We don't have another trip planned since our Oct. visit, but I think we will be back in 2014 unless I can talk DH into a Disney Cruise before then.

What: lose 20 pounds, be able to comfortably run 3 miles at least 4 times a week by starting up C25k again (I am currently on week 3, but took a few days off because gym was closed due to a major snow storm)

Where: eating better at home, running on treadmill at gym until the 2.5 feet of snow on the ground melts and then outside

Why: I've been reading and following journals for a while now. I decided I should start my own as a way to record my progress and make myself accountable for sticking to some fitness goals.
I have two little girls at home and have found in the last few months I have had less energy to keep up with them and don't feel like myself. I'm wiped out by 2:00. So rather than turning to more coffee :coffee: I decided I should get moving :yay:
I weighed in this morning and saw that I was up 5 pounds from where I was for our trip to WDW in October. My lower back has been bugging me at night, as well, and this has always been a sign that I've put on a few pounds. So it's time to shed some weight and get my energy back.
The time to exercise will also be a nice time to relax and be alone for a while.

When: start day today! no more excuses of bad weather, sick kids, busy schedule....

Weight Loss Goal-
current weight: 145 (it may not seem like a lot, but I am 5'1.5 and very squishy around the middle)
goal: 125 by the end of May and keep it off

Running Goal
- complete a 5k at the end of April (there are two coming up locally and I'm trying to decide which one to sign up for as my first)
- then complete at least one 5k a month through the fall - and maybe get up to a 10k in the fall

Overall Plans-
weight loss - start with cutting back on carbs, sugar, and unhealthy afternoon snack habit. eat more fruits and veggies.
running - C25k, then run regularly and sign up for 5k's to keep motivated, start spinning classes at the gym once schedule opens up a bit more in the spring

Plan this week-
Tues- C25k and 30 min walk with baby while older DD is at dance class
Wed- walk with baby while older DD is at school
Thurs- C25k
Fri- yoga video with DDs joining in
Sat- C25k while DH watches DDs
Sun - bike or elliptical while DH watches DDs

Thanks for reading :)

Hi mpeanut! Good luck with your running and weight loss goals! :goodvibes

I think you have a good plan laid out here! C25K worked for me a few years back, so I hope it works for you too. Do you have good running shoes?

Also...once you begin to run more, you might find that it will help your lower back pain. I injured my back in middle school and have had pain off and on, but since I have been running regularly I almost never have any back pain anymore. :) I hope the same happens for you!

Good luck!! :yay:

Hi mpeanut! Good luck with your running and weight loss goals! :goodvibes

I think you have a good plan laid out here! C25K worked for me a few years back, so I hope it works for you too. Do you have good running shoes?

Also...once you begin to run more, you might find that it will help your lower back pain. I injured my back in middle school and have had pain off and on, but since I have been running regularly I almost never have any back pain anymore. :) I hope the same happens for you!

Good luck!! :yay:

Thanks! I just saw your trip report and can't wait to get started reading it - impressive!!
I do have good running shoes. I got fitted for new ones recently at the local running store. I feel so much better in good shoes. I hope my back feels better when I get into a good routine with the running. I think I also need to work on my core strength - carrying two large babies and having 2 c-sections has kind of destroyed my core muscles and I need to work on that, too.

Thanks! I just saw your trip report and can't wait to get started reading it - impressive!!
I do have good running shoes. I got fitted for new ones recently at the local running store. I feel so much better in good shoes. I hope my back feels better when I get into a good routine with the running. I think I also need to work on my core strength - carrying two large babies and having 2 c-sections has kind of destroyed my core muscles and I need to work on that, too.

Best of luck to you! Sounds like you have a solid gameplan and that's the first step. We have a saying at work that implementation is only part of the plan. Follow through is the tough part. I'll be checking your progress!

Good for you for journalling and getting started. Best of luck! You can do this!

Best of luck to you! Sounds like you have a solid gameplan and that's the first step. We have a saying at work that implementation is only part of the plan. Follow through is the tough part. I'll be checking your progress!

Thanks! I am a great planner, but consistent follow through has been my problem! I hope that I'll keep remembering how much better I feel when I do a tough work out and keep up with it.

Thanks! I am a great planner, but consistent follow through has been my problem! I hope that I'll keep remembering how much better I feel when I do a tough work out and keep up with it.

Well, you're certainly in the right place for support. Everyone here has been on a similar journey as you are. If nothing else, you can read other journals for encouragement. I recently went back and re-read my own journal to see just how far I've come in the past few months. It's great encouragement to keep you motivated during the tough times.

I love reading the other journals - I think they'll help remind me of the amazing things I can accomplish just like the other posters have done. I need to make sure I keep reading them as part of my daily routine.

Day 1 (yesterday, Tuesday) went ok. I enjoyed the C25k week 3, day 3 work out. I felt like I could have added in another walk/run interval. I was much more energized and in a better mood in the afternoon. My eating left a lot to be desired. DH was working late so I just cooked some penne and broccoli for the kids and myself, and I felt like I had too big of a portion. I also snacked on a few too many graham crackers in the afternoon.

Plan for exercise today - It's grocery shopping day and I have to run a few errands at the mall, so instead of walking with DD2 around the still snowy and slushy neighborhood I will walk the mall. I should be able to do some core work and stretch during nap time.

Plan for eating today - started off with a healthy breakfast of greek yogurt, an orange, and coffee. Lunch today will be a tortilla wrap with black beans, cheddar, peppers and a little guacamole. Dinner will be baked sole, brown rice, and either asparagus or cauliflower.

I need some ideas for satisfying and healthy snacks since that seems to be my biggest dieting downfall.

Oh thanks. :o

Good, glad you have good running shoes! Very important. I think the running helps my low-back pain because it relieves some stiffness...maybe? Something like that. Core strength should definitely help that, and it will help your running as well. :)

I wish I had some good snack ideas for you...fruit is always a good one, but other than that I'm no help. That's something I struggle with as well. :laughing:

Day 3 (today, Thursday) is going pretty well.
I completed week 4, day 1 of C25k. The first two running intervals were a little tough. My calves seemed super tight and I just felt heavy and gross. The last half went much better, but I think I need to loosen up by leg muscles. I'll do some extra stretching today and make sure I keep hydrated. I was excited to see I had completed 2.6 miles - getting close to 3!

I had mentioned to DH that my goal would be to run in a Disney race next year. He said he would train with me, but we would need to have a sitter with us to watch the kids during the race. At first I thought that wouldn't be possible, but there is a chance my parents will also be in Florida at the same time as the Princess Half 2014 and I'm sure they'd love to meet up and spend a few days at Disney with the grandchildren. A few things would need to fall into place, but it is fun to think it is a possibility!

Plan for eating today - started off with a healthy breakfast of greek yogurt mixed with granola and coffee. Lunch today is a tortilla wrap with black beans, and cheddar cheese. Dinner will be turkey meatloaf, spinach and either sweet potato fries or brown rice. I baked some cookies for valentines treats for the girls and DH so I think I'll allow myself one for snack time this afternoon. I've been drinking lots of water today and plan to keep my water bottle full and traveling around with me.

Looking ahead I know I need to work on flexibility and core strength, so I'll be searching Fios On Demand for a good yoga or pilates workout that I can do at home with the kids. I also need to get more sleep. I get to bed before 10:00 thinking I'll get 8 hours before my youngest is awake. It seems like every night there is some disruption- DH coming home late from work, DH traveling and me being a nervous wreck with every little noise I hear in the house, or one of the kids coming into our bed or waking up crying or yelling for us.

Happy Valentine's Day to all!

Day 5 (today, Saturday) started off with some frustration.
I completed week 4, day 2 of C25k. The first two running intervals were annoying. My calves were again very tight so I slowed down and things improved. I had stretched before beginning the workout and was pretty well hydrated from last night and this morning. I guess I have to give it time because I DID feel fine by the end of the workout. Since I ran slower I only completed 2.5 miles.

Plan for eating today - started off with the usual breakfast of greek yogurt mixed with granola and coffee. I'm about to make lunch which is proving a little difficult since I need to grocery shop today - we are low on anything that would be considered healthy. I think I'll make a tuna wrap and have an orange. Dinner tonight is probably going to be eaten out as a little treat for the kids before DH leaves on a business trip Monday.

Sleep continues to evade us, but I did get in bed super early last night and felt like less of a zombie this morning.

Day 8 (today, Tuesday) Sunday we had another snow storm so I ended up not being able to get to the gym and the weather was not any good for outdoor running. I decided to do a yoga dvd and then some additional back stretches. I am happy to report I slept great and my back didn't hurt at all when I woke up.:cool1:
Monday I was planning on starting week 5 of C25k, but with the holiday every treadmill at the gym was in use and no one looked to be finishing up, so I decided to ride the bike for 10 miles. It wasn't as strenuous as jogging, but I figured it would be a good way to help strengthen my legs.
I had an appointment this morning so I missed the gym babysitting hours, so I am trying to get one of my parents to watch the kids so I can get in some C25k time this evening (DH is out of town).

Eating is going okay. I have to remember to weigh myself tomorrow. I am slacking a little on the water consumption, so I need to go fill up my water bottle now and carry it around with me for the rest of the day.

Day 10 (Thursday)

So I finally was able to get it together and try week 5 day 1 of c25k and it sucked! I think not doing any running and not enough strenuous exercise since the weekend threw me off and my legs felt so week. I had to walk during the last two running intervals. I felt so discourage and impatient. I'm usually pretty patient, but I just want to be able to get to 3 miles in a reasonable amount of time. I'm stalled at 2.55 during the c25k workout.
Would it make sense to just go out tomorrow or Saturday morning and get 3 miles done even if I'm mostly walking? I think it might boost my spirits and make me feel better. The weather looks ok for the next two days until another storm rolls in, so I could get it done outside.

Day 12 (Saturday)
I went ahead with my plan to run/walk 3 miles this morning even if I had to add on yo the c25k workout plan. Luckily, I only needed to add on another 2 minutes of running to get to 2.98 miles. That's close enough to 3 for me for today! It was a balmy 33 degrees this morning, but I felt fine outside. I stayed on main roads because the side streets still had a few icy patches on the sidewalks. What a difference the fresh air makes! I do think there is some benefit to the treadmill, especially during the stormy weather, but I'll be happy to see spring arrive so I can get outside to run more.

Day 14-
I decided to workout at the gym today because I needed to make use of the babysitting room. I was planning on riding the bike for some cross training, but all the bikes were being used (it seemed extra busy today), so I decided I'd walk on the treadmill. I felt an urge to jog, so I started and it went pretty well. I didn't follow the next C25k workout and instead just ran for 4 minutes and walked for 2 minutes for 30 minutes. It was actually quiet nice. My legs felt fine and although I was sweating like crazy because the gym seemed to think it was a good idea to have the heat blasting, my lungs felt fine. Tomorrow I'll have a little more time at the gym, so I think I'll use the bike for an hour and then Wednesday I have a babysitter so I'll plan to jog outside and tackel C25k week 5 day 2.
In terms of weight loss I've only lost half a pound, but I've been having too many sweets. This week I'm challenging myself to eat a piece of fruit or an extra serving of veggies with each meal. I'll see if that helps to fill me up and avoid the late afternoon/evening sweet treat downfall.

After 2 days of rest for what I suspected was the start of a shin splint, I decided to try weke 5 day 2 of c25k again today. I was really happy with the results. My legs and lungs felt fine. I'd like to try to take advantage of the decent weather we are having and go for another walk/jog tomorrow, but I'll just go slow and for about 2 miles since it would normally be a cross-training or rest day.
I've been doing well with more fruits and veggies. My skin looks better which is an added bonus!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!