"Courtesy" extra room key?

DanenRox

Disney Junkies
A courtesy key...that's what I'm calling it....here's my question:
Can I get a 5th key for a studio occupied by 4 people?
Our group has 4 studios at BWV. Everyone is on the meal plan. One of the rooms is occupied by a couple of older folks and a young adult who will be spending the majority of her waking hours with the other young adults in a separate studio. I'm hoping Disney will issue an extra room key so she can utilize that room during the day...of course it wouldn't have charging/dining privileges attached to it. Again, it would just be a "courtesy"....:3dglasses

I kind of understand why you want an extra key - but if this person is going to a studio to "hang with" the other young people - wouldn't he either be going with them (they would have a key to get in) or they would already be there and could just open the door? If nobody is in the room then why would he want to go there anyway - he could go to his own room if he's going to be alone anyway. If the room is at maximum occupancy I wouldn't think they would issue an extra key. If it's less than maximum I still doubt it, but who knows - couldn't hurt to ask I guess :confused3

Yes, Disney resorts will give you an extra key...they did for us last year when we had one family in one studio and another in another and we wanted access to each other's rooms (mostly to fetch things...one of the rooms was occupied by a single adult and two young children; my young adult son (and I) often ran back to her room to get some necessary something while she was in the parks (and needing her key for dining and fast passes) ... we would want to go back for a swim or rest and they wouldn't...so we'd agree to pick up the dry shirt or forgotten toy or whatever and meet them later...

So there are reasons for wanting access to each other's rooms when the "legal occupants" are not on site, and yes Disney was most gracious about making it possible...

One time I was with a group that had 2 rooms. They setup our keys so that they would work for both rooms.

Just be aware that any key for a room with dining plan credits will have access to those credits. You can have no charging placed on the card, but you can not remove the credits.

Oh, OK. That won't be a problem. Everyone in all 4 studios has the dining plan, it really is (and only is) gaining access to the room.

Oh, OK. That won't be a problem. Everyone in all 4 studios has the dining plan, it really is (and only is) gaining access to the room.

We have heard that before. I remember a post last year where a Uncle used up everyones credits, not knowing that the credits were pooled. He thought that all of the credits were his. :scared1:

He just ate, and ate, and ate. :thumbsup2:

:earsboy: Bill

Dining plan credits are tracked by room key. And room keys don't have room numbers on them for security purposes. In other words, if someone accidentally presents an "extra" key when paying for their meal, its gonna get charged against someone else's credits.

Also, make sure everyone is prepared to give very specific charging instructions when paying for meals. You will essentially have four separate pools of dining credits, each tied to the occupants of one of the villas. Whenever someone dines, you will have to present multiple room keys and specify which rooms are to be charged for which meals. If there is a miscommunication with the wait staff, you could spend hours working with the front desk to get everything sorted out.

Good luck!

Yes, Disney resorts will give you an extra key...they did for us last year when we had one family in one studio and another in another and we wanted access to each other's rooms (mostly to fetch things...one of the rooms was occupied by a single adult and two young children; my young adult son (and I) often ran back to her room to get some necessary something while she was in the parks (and needing her key for dining and fast passes) ... we would want to go back for a swim or rest and they wouldn't...so we'd agree to pick up the dry shirt or forgotten toy or whatever and meet them later...

So there are reasons for wanting access to each other's rooms when the "legal occupants" are not on site, and yes Disney was most gracious about making it possible...

One time I was with a group that had 2 rooms. They setup our keys so that they would work for both rooms.

That is good news for me. we have booked a 2 bedroom and a studio, there is 5 of us in total and I was worried about this. one of my sons is deaf he is in the studio and I needed him to be able to get into our room and vice versa without him waiting for us to answer as we would be working with our other son who is paralised

DebbieB,

Thanks for the info about all members of a party being able to have access to multiple rooms, that will be very useful for our "extended family vacations"

bookwormde

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter