Covid, Shmovid, We're Going CAMPING Tomorrow!

Where does one find anything, Joe?

Wal-Mart garden section of my local store, of course.... Citronella branded.

It's been about 5 years though. It was an end-of-summer type sale (moving the summer merch).

Ed

I want to improve my answer this morning.

TIKI is the brand I was thinking of. As in the people who market official "Tiki Torches". And the Tiki fuel.

Bama Ed

PS - and after following two nights of the NFL draft, I can name the only college football coach in the common draft era to have all 22 positions drafted in the first round: the GOAT Nick Saban.

EWVLgwTWkAEc13-

PPS - and the first school in the last 50 years to have 4 offensive players selected in the first round is Alabama under Nick Saban. It goes to show how those defensive injuries hurt us last year.

PPPS - and Jalen Hurts went in the 2nd round to the Eagles last night. Good for him!

Last edited:
I told my husband that as soon as the camping ban is lifted, we are OUT of here...I did not think about trying another state. But who am I kidding, it takes 5 hours to get out of Texas. Love the camping photos Ed!

Late afternoon update:

First, it occurred to me after-the-fact that when I promised food pix, I was not referring to instant oatmeal and a cola. That was not my intention.

But moving on, that may be the reality. I've seen conflicting info on restaurants and their takeout/curbside availability. Some say they do but when you call to place an order, no one picks up. Most roll to a voice mail response that they are closed due to the virus. Had to go with a Pizza hut pizza for lunch today (there are leftovers).

I did have a call this morning and then put in some puzzle time before said lunch. After pizza I did some more time (a little breezy today).

I had noticed yesterday afternoon that yet ANOTHER Aliner came in and was parked in the first spot behind the fish cleaning table. Man now there are THREE of us here (and it's another Expedition [14ft box] and when you do see one it's often the more common Ranger or Classic [12ft box]). But it's a 2002 and in its original white paint.

A couple from Pensacola have it. It has the dark gray bubble along the back roof but the front has two long vertical opaque white bubbles up front. Nice folks.

Puzzle progress as of this afternoon.

Some nice looking campers on Live Oak today. The road is full. This Airstream caught my eye.

As did this Retro trailer that rolled in today.

This sign is on all the Comfort Station doors. I guess there was some hoarding of CS supplies in the early stages of the shut-down. Toilet paper may have been hard for campers to find? :confused3

Too late to head over to the Fishing Pier today so that will be a requirement for tomorrow.

Bama Ed

I decided last night to watch the sunrise from a different perspective this morning. Instead of the campsite pix, I would head over to the camp store/marina area and watch it there. It was a good idea (worthy of repeating) but the clouds were out this morning.

For those of you familiar with Gulf SP, when I drove to the pool/store/marina lot, I noticed that the Live Oak Rd area was pretty full. Nearly nothing along main road. The Bear Rd turn off to the left looked pretty empty too. But the Gator Rd area on the right next to the pool/store/marina was pretty full.

I took this picture in the breezeway between the store and laundry area. I sat on that bench along the water's sidewalk.

View from said bench.

There was a front going west-east just off the shore with some precip that was not going to affect Gulf Shores but this cloud pattern was the northern edge of it. The view back toward the Gulf over the SP Pavilion was g-r-a-y.

It took the sun a little longer to get up and find a crack in the clouds. The water was motionless. There is no wind blowing in the mornings here. Very still and peaceful.

In the recently published "Ed's Rules for Gulf SP Sunrise Pictures" it clearly states on page 17 paragraph 3 that sunrise is complete only when a continuous vertical reflection on the water is present (terminating as closely as possible at the top near the sun itself with little breakage from buildings/trees on the far side). Or as continuous as possible that weather conditions will allow....

And yes, Teamubr, "Ed's Rules..." is available in a large print edition. :rolleyes1 (I mean, before you ask and all....)

The camp store is closed until further notice so all their rental bikes have been returned and ready for future rentals to campers.

Here is the rate sheet for the bikes for future information.

Gonna lace up my walking shoes and head over to the fishing pier this morning. Usually good pix over there. Already blue skies breaking out and it looks nice back toward the western sky.

Bama Ed

PS - latest mileage update on my 2005 Suburban.

bama_ed-do you set up your puzzle and keep it outside all night?

spud,

I have my puzzle set up in a Ravensburger carrier which has a lift out board. So I close it up, snap it tight, and leave it outside on my folding table and under the EZ up which I lower every night. In the early Gulf DISMeet years, I did the puzzle but didn't have a good overnight/storage method while it was under construction. Tiggerdad had one of these carriers and brought it the next year. Then I got one of my own. So it was HIS bright idea so let's give him the credit. (Although I bet it was Stacey's doing, honestly.) :rolleyes:

Here is the product link: https://www.ravensburger.us/products/jigsaw-puzzles/puzzle-accessories/puzzle-store-17962/index.html

Here is the case out on my table this morning.

Under the EZ up on the table.

Here is the puzzle on the lift-out board. There are 4 compartments underneath the lift-out board for holding/sorting your pieces. When you close the two big lids together (while it is flat), the edges "click" firmly together. It is pretty thin so it can go under a bed or sofa at home (or behind it). It was well worth the investment. I lift out the board, set it on the table, put the compartment side next to the board, and fold the flat opposite side underneath the compartments to take up less room.

One thing I will say is that when you read any reviews on it, consider this: It has a handle to carry it like a large briefcase BUT NOT WHILE THE PUZZLE IS IN IT. Nowhere does the product claim you can carry a partially built puzzle down at your side. Moving it while you have a puzzle inside means carrying it flat. People assume it will hold the puzzle (and pieces) in place when carried vertically. Nope no. :sad2:

I enjoy mine a lot.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Okay folks, I've had my lunch so it's time for an update re: my walk to the fishing pier (and back) this morning. It's got lots of pictures so it will run across multiple posts (the DIS has a limit of 10 pix per post that are linked from a hosted site like Photobucket). So settle in, grab a cold libation, get comfy, and let's go for a walk. 🚶‍♂️

I have to admit I love going for a walk/hike and Gulf SP is a great place to do that. I didn't bother to bring a bike and my own two feet are perfectly capable of getting me where I want to go. And I like to look around at what I'm passing by.

I turned left out of my site about 740am and went down along the road that parallels the canal and out the end to the Campground Road to pick up the walk/bike trail out there (this is the most direct route out). A site up at the turn-around near me (that has a campfire ring in the middle of it) had a camper with 3 cars and 10 bikes on it! :earseek:10 bikes. My goodness. If they were all still sleeping inside then they must be stacked like a hot fresh dozen of Krispey Kreme in the box. But they're having fun together I bet.

Along Canal Road are these signs about the gators.

Although I am confused because I thought a gator had a top speed of about 10 mph and only for a short distance. At half that speed he's no threat to anybody if he obeys the speed limit. :confused3 Geez I should be writing the signs.

Blue water tank again on the way out of the campground. New logo but maybe it was always that blue color? Dunno.

Out on the Campground Road now with our veer off to the right to take the boardwalk/trail to the pier. The intersection with the beach highway is up ahead to the left side. It's brilliantly sunny and 66F at this point. Perfect weather for a walkabout.

After a nice peaceful secluded stretch of boardwalk you come up on the Lake Shelby picnic and pet area (also part of Gulf SP). It was early so not crowded but when I've driven past it at lunchtime the last few days there have been LOTS of cars and people/pets there. You can fish here too.

I assume you can guess which direction the prevailing winds blow in this area (just off the beach). Of course a good push on the trees comes from the HURri-kins that spin through the area every couple years and that helps too.

The oil spill lawsuit money that paid for this massive upgrade to Gulf SP also built two nice boardwalk bridges over the beach highway (one here at Lake Shelby that crosses to the hotel and pier and the second at the Gulf Pavilion/beach area).

Up.

Over.

Down.

That puts us at the entrance to the Gulf SP Fishing Pier so it's a good place to break and roll to the next post.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
The pier had a good crowd on it today. They've been counting people going in-and-out I am told to reduce the density and maintain social spacing but when I got there there was plenty of space still. The pier is due to close next month for improvements and won't reopen till July. Details are here:

https://www.outdooralabama.com/arti...temporarily-close-renovations-and-maintenance

Here is the entrance to the pier (2,448 feet long out into the Gulf).

Did you notice those signs to either side of the ramp? No sneakin' down to the water's edge, tiggerdad.

But you can at least SEE the beach in this view towards Gulf Shores:

Zoomed.

And this view towards the hotel/lodge and Orange Beach.

Fishermen use all sorts of data in their calculations to coerce the fish to jump on the hook. These were today's stats.

"SIX FEET, PEOPLE". I wanna see six feet between .... oh never mind .... just watch out for the flying hooks when people are casting and load up behind themselves.

Just as I came up on the fishing deck this guy pulled in about a 15" pompano.

But not too much action this morning. Just a pleasant sunrise and folks checking out everybody else's gear rigs.

Here's a look over to Gulf Shores again.

Let's keep rolling to the next post here.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
I don't know if pets are allowed on the fishing pier at Gulf SP but there is plenty of wild life there (and I don't mean the guys who showed up at 4am). There were a couple of great blue herons roaming around like they owned the place.

And hey, if your catch doesn't meet the minimum size requirements for keepers, those herons will help you out by disposing of it for you.

(note the fish in the bird's mouth).

HEY WAIT, DON'T .... as the bird does what birds do and opens his bill and lets the fish slide down his throat.

LOOK AT ME. WHAT DID YOU JUST DO? (an obviously guilty yet defiant look - if anyone has ever raised a 10 year old boy, you know what I'm talking about)....

Note the bulge in his throat just after the first neck curve.

There were a good number of ladies fishing as well. They appeared to be with their husbands as I saw numerous couples chatting while both holding a rod in their hands. But some folks are there just for moral support. Just to be there. Or just to catch some shuteye.

Making my way to the end of the pier there was a good sized group fishing out on the octagon platform.

Did you note the red line painted on the deck of the prior picture? It's there for a reason.

We need to keep the railing clear of stuff, people, so more people can stand at the railing. So move it all back behind the red line.

At the far end looking back to the entrance, lots of gear here.

Another heron. He looks jealous of the pelicans that can dive deep under the water for fish. (the pelicans float right underneath the railing because if a fisherman tosses a small fish back into the water, the drop usually stuns it for a couple seconds before it can swim off. that's long enough for the pelican to get over there and pick the fish up into his bill).

The grackles are there to clean up whatever the herons miss.

Pelicans and some terns are on the beach as I near the entrance ramp again.

Let's roll with it.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Thanks for the info about the puzzle holder, Ed. I often think about bringing a puzzle when we camp, but was never sure what to do with it during the night. Now, you offer a solution. And, I promise never to carry it around, handle up, all the time thinking it will retain its wholeness.

Time to head on back to the campground. Out the gate, down the ramp, and back the way we came.

It pays to advertise.

Towards Gulf Shores.

A few years ago the Campground Road was a thruway from the beach highway to Fort Morgan Road right at the bend near the GS Wal-Mart. Locals used to use it to bypass the traffic and stop lights there near the intersection of the beach highway and Hwy 59 (the "T" as I call it). Then one day, unannounced, the state blocked the road to implement its more environmentally friendly traffic plan. There was a local uproar but the state stood their ground.

The purpose of this picture is to show that the old roadway will never be a road again. Out in the distance, if you can see it, they pulled up some drainage pipes that passed water to Lake Shelby and put in a WOODEN FOOT/BIKE BRIDGE.

I am standing nearly at the base of the blue water tower (where the road takes a forced bend).

The pretty painted crosswalks with the secondary logo (fish, trails, plants) in the state park are already starting to flake.

They are two or at the most only three years old.

Just past the check-in building in site #1 on the right is a little fiberglass Casita trailer. I've heard the waiting list at the factory is over a year long for those things.

Just before I reach my turn at Live Oak Road, I pass the fish cleaning table. I've spent plenty of afternoons looking over the shoulders of guys cleaning their catch wishing I could be doing the same. If I could fish, that is.

Almost home.

Lot of folks have cleared out today on Sunday morning. Here is the view with my back to my Comfort Station pointed at #4 (my traditional DISMeet site). Note all the empty sites beyond.

There are 11 campsites down there that are all empty (although a few, lots fewer, folks have been rolling in today.

After I got back I popped up the EZ up and put in some puzzle time before getting some lunch.

Thanks for going on my walk with me. That's enough for now. More later.

Bama Ed

Time for the last update of the day.

I spent some serious time with the puzzle today. About two hours this morning and about three hours this afternoon. My feeling was I needed to get more done on it. So after the work I put in before lunch, I made it this far.

Next was the lunch that I had been looking forward to all trip. The Shrimp Basket in Gulf Shores (on Hwy 59 next to Souvenir City) was cooking today and I phoned in to order and asked what platters they had. So I got the combo of fish, shrimp, and red taters. It looked so good I took it out of the styrofoam and put it on a paper plate to do it up just right.

Let's go around the plate shall we? Starting at the nine o' clock position and going ccw, some cole slaw (not a slaw guy) but it was good and chilled and I was hungry enough to eat it. Next two little fried hush puppies, then the combo of grilled shrimp (8) and whitefish filets (2) also grilled. Throw in the cocktail and tarter sauces at the top of the plate and it is OH so good. When travelling I also BYOB of Tabasco (it makes EVERYTHING taste better) and top it off with a cold beer (lime flavored is my choice at the beach). Red potatoes with the Tabasco filled the rest of the plate.

My apologies for not having enough self control when I opened the lid and saw this bounty that I tossed the creamed corn popper right into my mouth. In fact is was:

GUEST_6323945e-f54e-45a7-b329-321e03491d16

good. As in that level of good (and I've been to Ville Plate, LA). It's a little north of Lafayette, don'tcha know. My lunch with tax was $15 and worth it.

After that satisfying meal, back to the puzzle outside under the awning. The breeze had died down and it was a pleasant afternoon as several people rolled back in on a Sunday afternoon. Sites 4-18 (that's 15 sites ya'll) in my neck of the woods only had 3 folks staying (me, my neighbor out the front door, and the site with the 10 bikes). Of those 8 were filled up this afternoon. So not a complete turnover but a good turnout today.

Tomorrow is going home day so I felt like I need to get as much of the puzzle done this afternoon and about an hour before the sun went down, it was finished.

A light supper now and some internet time on the cell phone hotspot outside tops the night. Crickets, birds, very quiet. Not much traffic noise from the beach highway (nobody's here in the hotels and condos which VASTLY outnumber the Gulf SP campsites) out there in the distance.

The moon and Venus are perfectly situated over the top of the Aliner tonight (easy to see from under the awning) so it's a pretty nice night.

Tomorrow I'll try the sunrise from the store/marina again and then go for a different walk before heading for home.

Good night from #16. :cloud9:

Bama Ed

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter