Coworker Gift Ideas

Christine

DIS Veteran
I think I posted on this last year. This is something I *really* struggle with. I'm certainly not the perfect gift giver but I don't like giving gifts that I don't think through and make sure the person would really like. I'm my own worst enemy I guess on that regard as I stress over every gift.

So I have 8 employees that I like to buy a small token gift for. I do not work for a private company so I don't have some sort of company write off for a gift. I like to keep the value at $20 since I don't have my own unlimited resources.

My issue is that all of my employees, except for one, well into their 40s/50s/60s. They have everything. Seven are women. They do not eat candy, baked goods. They are all on diets or extremely picky eaters. They rarely do things like Starbucks. Some think Starbucks is evil!!:teeth: They don't like candles, nail polish, Bath and Body works, etc. and don't want anymore ornaments. I've thought about things like a really nice, unscented hand cream but even small tubes of that are blowing out my budget. I have no idea about their taste in wine or beer. I'm not a drinker myself so it's hard for me to pick anything in that direction that might please everyone in general.

Last year I was about to give up when right before Christmas I was in Wegman's and they had specialty Satsumo tangerines in a gift pack for about $10. I got each of them that and then I picked out a $10 gift card for what I know about the person. For instance, one lady does crafts, so I got hers from Joanne's fabric store. Another LOVES Chick-Fil-A, and so on. They seemed to love the tangerines (with the exception of the picky eater).

This year, I feel like I need to get something again. I don't want to get the tangerines and, even if I did, the store cannot guarantee they will have them or the amount I need on the day I need to buy them.

I feel sure there is something I may be overlooking and the Dis has a big audience to ask.

How about 2018 desk calendars? You can choose a theme to suit each person’s interests, or if you don’t know them well, just get something generic like Joke-of-the-Day or Chicken Soup For The Soul.

A few ideas:
  • A blanket or throw of some kind. I love the micro fleece ones. Costco has carried them, but I have picked them up at other stores as well for under $20.
  • A canvas tote bag of some sort or else the tote bags that fold up super small and fit in a pocket, which you can use when you go shopping. (Rume is just one such brand.)
  • Merino wool socks
  • A good umbrella
  • A pocket Leatherman (the small one with scissors)
  • A basil or rosemary potted plant
  • Packing cubes
  • New hand or dish towels (something a little nicer, not just plain Jane ones)
  • A movie gift card (you could attach it to some popcorn or something).
  • If everyone has cellphones, you could do portable power banks.

:santa: How about a nice, festive poinsettia done up in cellophane and ribbon? What's not to like about that? It's my default holiday gift when I need something slightly impersonal but nice and inexpensive but not "cheap", KWIM? (On the off-chance there are concerns about pets at home the staff-members could just leave them on their desks to enjoy at work.)

• If everyone has cellphones, you could do portable power banks.
Ding Ding Ding! Winner right here. Practical, inexpensive and most likely to actually get used. Alternatively, power block, cable, maybe a car adapter and a cute little ditty bag to carry them in. (I have collected both things for my kids stockings.) Of course it would hinge on everyone having/using a cellphone and knowing what kind of cable to buy.

My crew gets gift cards to places they like to eat. In the past, I've combined that with heavy duty socks since they work in the cold. But, the gift cards seem to be the most appreciated.

The new inside/out umbrellas. Most folks don't have them yet but they are catching on because it's so nice to not have a wet mess when you walk in the door after being in the rain. I saw them on amazon yesterday for about $15.
Having said all that I am horrible with buying gifts for coworkers. I struggle with it every year. I had one boss who always gave us the same thing and we all loved it. She would give us a gift card to Kohls (about $20) and take us out to lunch. To stay in your budget you could skip the lunch. I think it was the consistency that we all liked (plus we all like kohls). It was nice to see something there or on the website and think "when I get that card I'm going to buy this". I always spent more than the $20 but it's like that gave me permission to buy something a little more expensive since it was essentially $20 cheaper, lol.

Yesterday, I was in a specialty store which had Lilly Pulitzer & Kate Spade pen sets for $15 & notepads or planner/to do journals for $20.

DH bought all his guys some kind of fancy flashlight from Lowe's.... Last year, I think he did some kind of multi-tool.

I like the idea of Tervis Tumblers as well - you could even get them monogrammed!

Thanks, lots of good ideas here! Now I need to see what I can manage within the next week or so.

For those Tervis Tumblers, what are their most popular uses. My daughter got one from someone when she started college (it was a collegiate one). I've seen them in the store. I can't say I've actually seen anyone using them. I see people using the S'well water bottles and the Yeti beverage holders, but not a Tervis item. Is it for people who drink a lot of water all day? Hot stuff? Both? I don't think I'd like to put my tea or coffee in them, though I suppose you can.

I definitely want to stick with half the gift being a gift card. I usually will do ones from lunch places around the office so they can have a cheap lunch on me! But if I know someone likes a store and is dieting (we seem to always be dieting), then I'll do one from a store.

Ding Ding Ding! Winner right here. Practical, inexpensive and most likely to actually get used. Alternatively, power block, cable, maybe a car adapter and a cute little ditty bag to carry them in. (I have collected both things for my kids stockings.) Of course it would hinge on everyone having/using a cellphone and knowing what kind of cable to buy.

They all have cellphones but not sure what they have. I don't think they all use iPhone. I got my "kids" some of the items above for their stockings. They are ALWAYS running out of a charge.

They all have cellphones but not sure what they have. I don't think they all use iPhone. I got my "kids" some of the items above for their stockings. They are ALWAYS running out of a charge.
It’s crazy isn’t it? I’ve had the same charging block and cable for years yet they’re always needing them.

I've been debating what to get my staff (my 2nd set of holidays as a manager, didn't get anything last year). I have 30 employees. I was thinking a Kroger GC for $10. I know it's not a lot, but 30 people IS a lot (and no, I wouldn't get reimbursed from the company). I like the power bank. The company gave tumblers a couple years ago, but I'm not crazy about them as gifts.

I've been debating what to get my staff (my 2nd set of holidays as a manager, didn't get anything last year). I have 30 employees. I was thinking a Kroger GC for $10. I know it's not a lot, but 30 people IS a lot (and no, I wouldn't get reimbursed from the company). I like the power bank. The company gave tumblers a couple years ago, but I'm not crazy about them as gifts.

Oh my goodness! 30 people!!! I think the Kroger GC within a card or attached to a nice bag of holiday candy would be perfect for that amount of people. I have so few that I feel like I need to get more personal with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter