Crazy things you've heard people say about Covid-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw my cousin over the weekend, he’s an ER doctor in Brooklyn who treated cover 300 patients. According to him, it doesn’t work. He and his wife got Covid and only experienced a lack of taste and smell, but they are also health nuts.
Really...And the research continues, but you as a medical researcher let's just be swayed by your conversation with your cousin the Brooklyn doctor?

Global COVID-19 prevention trial of hydroxychloroquine to resume

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-hydroxychloroquine-idUSKBN2410SW

Last week I was working with a childhood friend that I have much respect for even though we openly see some things differently.

He said with confidence, "Watch. After the election this whole covid thing will magically go away." My sister has heard the same statement incessantly for months from a co-worker (this one is the token office slacker).

Beside all the gaping holes originally pointed out around the quote, I'm now curious what the rationale would be for pushing the election to a later date, especially by the supposed target. Who'd want to postpone the magical disappearance of Covid and why?

Good point, and I think this very thing you referenced (the people who say covid is all going away in November) has to be the thing that sets me on edge the most. Are people’s deceased loved ones going to be raised from the dead in November? No. It’s just so disrespectful to all those mourning the loss of a loved one from covid, when other people say covid isn’t even real

Really...And the research continues, but you as a medical researcher let's just be swayed by your conversation with your cousin the Brooklyn doctor?

Global COVID-19 prevention trial of hydroxychloroquine to resume

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-hydroxychloroquine-idUSKBN2410SW

Did you even bother to read the article? Or, um, even the title? It's a trial. That doesn't mean it will work.

And, in case you missed it, Dr. Fauci, referring to a previous study of the drug, has stated:

"...the fact is, it is not a randomized placebo-controlled trial. The point that I think is important, because we all want to keep an open mind, any and all of the randomized placebo-controlled trials, which is the gold standard of determining if something is effective, none of them had shown any efficacy by hydroxychloroquine. Having said that, I will state, when I do see a randomized placebo-controlled trial that looks at any aspect of hydroxychloroquine, either early study, middle study, or late, if that randomized placebo-controlled trial shows efficacy, I would be the first one to admit it and to promote it. But I have not seen yet a randomized placebo-controlled trial that’s done that. "

Time to FOIA them about how much doctors will make from a coronavirus patent. Is this why they don’t like Hydroxychloroquine?
Go ahead. You're a citizen. Request the mis/information https://www.foiaonline.gov/foiaonline/action/public/request
Lol! ...sure, okay “move along, nothing to see here”..... No!, it's a huge conflict of interest especially when the NIH & the doctors were hiding this information to the patients taking their drugs. It's criminal.
It appears you still don't understand what a royalty is :confused3? Do you feel it's mandatory for authors to report to their readers that they are paid a royalty for every book sold? For musicians to inform their fans that, in addition to getting paid directly for recording of touring, they also get royalties every time their music is sold? Or recorded by someone? Or played on the radio or at an event?

Constituents who feel the law is wrong should contact Congress to try to have the law changed.

"Five years ago, Donna Shalala, then secretary of the federal Department of Health and Human Services, issued a requirement that scientists disclose their financial interests. But nothing happened until the Associated Press’s investigations.

However, Dr. Fauci said five years ago that he had to take the royalties by law, saw the conflict, and gave it all the charity.

Two leading researchers, Anthony Fauci, head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and his deputy, Clifford Lane, received payments relating to their development of interleukin 2 as a treatment for HIV/AIDS.

Dr. Lane told the BMJ that the payment was part of his federal compensation. He explained that the government patented the development and shared the payments it received with the inventors. Since 1997 he has received about $45,000 he says. The institutes awarded $36m in grants for studies to test the treatment.

Dr. Fauci told the BMJ that as a government employee he was required by law to put his name on the patent for the development of interleukin 2 and was also required by law to receive part of the payment the government received for use of the patent. He said that he felt it was inappropriate to receive payment and donated the entire amount to charity.
"

https://www.independentsentinel.com/nih-hides-drug-company-royalties-to-doctors/

Your family physician isn’t going to be earning royalties off a vaccine. It’s the researchers that discover it and hold the patent.
That newspaper article you posted makes it sound like doctors are going to cash in on this.

Last edited:

Your family physician isn’t going to be earning royalties off a vaccine. It’s the researchers that discover it and hold the patent.
That newspaper article you posted makes it sound like doctors are going to cash in on this.

I don’t know what started this talk about royalties or what not.
But, I can guarantee that researchers working for these large drug companies will NOT be getting any royalties on whatever patent or drug may be discovered and produced. Might get a bonus or promotion, but nothing else. The patent is in your name but the company owns whatever financial gain comes out of it.

I don’t know what started this talk about royalties or what not.
But, I can guarantee that researchers working for these large drug companies will NOT be getting any royalties on whatever patent or drug may be discovered and produced. Might get a bonus or promotion, but nothing else. The patent is in your name but the company owns whatever financial gain comes out of it.

I stand corrected. I agree with your post.

You believe China warned everybody? bwahahahahahahahha

The first reports I read came from China. Who reported it, before they did?

Nope, you have a very selective memory or weak knowledge base of this.
It is being downplayed now because of people choosing to be ignorant. The government can't fix that.

What did you do when you were in charge of a pandemic?

I don't know how to interpret you post. Some people in our federal government were the first to call it a hoax. Next, they claimed it wasn't worse than the flu. That was yet another attempt to downplay the virus. They lost precious time trying to deny the situation. I agree that those people were ignorant for not acting quickly & shouldn't be in a position to lead a country. If they had taken it more seriously in the beginning, citizens wouldn't be downplaying it now.

Your last question is the type of question that people use to deflect blame from people who are failing to do their job. I don't get paid to make those decisions. If I did, I can guarantee that I never would have called it a hoax. We had more than enough information at that time to know this virus was very real.

IMO Chinese leadership did everything in their power not only not to be transparent, but to be as opaque as possible for as long as possible. It's their MO to keep their people in the dark about as much as possible in order to maintain their positions of power and control.

Where I am bitter with China over the virus is if they had been more forthcoming sooner and raised the alarm with other countries more quickly it would have meant that much more time scientists everywhere would have had to be seriously working toward solutions. Time is of the essence, China leadership squandered it on behalf of the world to serve their own agendas. To say that the U.S. has bungled our own response is a serious understatement.

I can understand the anger with China not being totally forthcoming. They should have shared more information as they learned it, but we shouldn't expect anything different from them. As you said, it's their MO.

I really don't think alerting the US sooner would have made much difference. It was first declared a hoax, then downplayed. The WHO may not have done everything perfectly, but they were more prepared for this situation than the CDC was. They had valuable information & supplies that the cities dealing with this early on could have used. Unfortunately, they were sent packing, when the CDC obviously needed help. The powers that be simply didn't want to hear what they were being told early only.

PS: I'm very grateful for doctors in Europe that shared everything they knew in an attempt to help us.

Last edited:
Did you even bother to read the article? Or, um, even the title? It's a trial. That doesn't mean it will work.

And, in case you missed it, Dr. Fauci, referring to a previous study of the drug, has stated:

"...the fact is, it is not a randomized placebo-controlled trial. The point that I think is important, because we all want to keep an open mind, any and all of the randomized placebo-controlled trials, which is the gold standard of determining if something is effective, none of them had shown any efficacy by hydroxychloroquine. Having said that, I will state, when I do see a randomized placebo-controlled trial that looks at any aspect of hydroxychloroquine, either early study, middle study, or late, if that randomized placebo-controlled trial shows efficacy, I would be the first one to admit it and to promote it. But I have not seen yet a randomized placebo-controlled trial that’s done that. "
"NIH halts clinical trial of hydroxychloroquine
Study shows treatment does no harm, but provides no benefit
New England Journal of Medicine

Conclusions
Among patients hospitalized with mild-to-moderate Covid-19, the use of hydroxychloroquine, alone or with azithromycin, did not improve clinical status at 15 days as compared with standard care. (Funded by the Coalition Covid-19 Brazil and EMS Pharma; ClinicalTrials.gov number, NCT04322123. opens in new tab.)"

Yes, I stated it's a TRIAL. A previous poster indicated that NIH halted theirs. Others find enough promise in HCQ to warrant another, so another TRIAL was started the end of June.... or maybe I should I just use your snark "Um, Did you even bother to read?"

Good point, and I think this very thing you referenced (the people who say covid is all going away in November) has to be the thing that sets me on edge the most. Are people’s deceased loved ones going to be raised from the dead in November? No. It’s just so disrespectful to all those mourning the loss of a loved one from covid, when other people say covid isn’t even real

What happened to it going away before Easter? I heard Easter was going to be beautiful.

"NIH halts clinical trial of hydroxychloroquine
Study shows treatment does no harm, but provides no benefit
New England Journal of Medicine

Conclusions
Among patients hospitalized with mild-to-moderate Covid-19, the use of hydroxychloroquine, alone or with azithromycin, did not improve clinical status at 15 days as compared with standard care. (Funded by the Coalition Covid-19 Brazil and EMS Pharma; ClinicalTrials.gov number, NCT04322123. opens in new tab.)"

Yes, I stated it's a TRIAL. A previous poster indicated that NIH halted theirs. Others find enough promise in HCQ to warrant another, so another TRIAL was started the end of June.... or maybe I should I just use your snark "Um, Did you even bother to read?"

Lol.

Back to the original question..what has turned out to be the craziest things I’ve heard about Covid ...

”We’re all in this together.”

I even hear that quote from the recorded announcement at the grocery store. Do they really think someone can set themselves apart and not be "in this together?"

Here’s the thing I don’t understand about those saying Covid will go away in November...how do they explain that it’s worldwide?? Like the US somehow convinced every other nation to go along with this just to sway our election?!! I will 100% agree that political parties are using the pandemic to their advantage, but they certainly didn’t create it and it certainly won’t go away after November no matter which way the election goes!

I got an email from a chain store that felt the need to make you people understood what they meant when asking patrons to wear a mask in the store:

View attachment 516279

Great advice, sad that they actually have to clarify what "wear a mask" means.
It probably doesn't help that people see leaders, reporters, health officials at times, representatives, etc with at least some of those examples. Though the hanging off the ear..yeah that's definitely not wearing a mask lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter