cream cheese expiration date ?

dreamin_disney

DIS Veteran
I have a 6 pack of Philadelphia Cream Cheese. It expired Feb 17, 2018. Should I throw out or still good and for how long?

If its still good, I will use one block for bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers. Another block for a cheese ball type appetizer. Need some other ideas to use up the other 4 blocks. TIA!

I often use cream cheese even a month or two past "expiration" date.

Great dip...

Brown 1lb Jimmy Dean(or similar brand in tube) sage OR hot sausage.
Combine 2 blocks of cream cheese and 2 cans Rotel tomatoes w/green chilies in a pot and bring to a simmer. Add browned sausage(using a slotted spoon so excess grease stays in fry pan). Let simmer for another 5-10 minutes for all the flavors to meld. Serve with thick tortilla. You can also transfer to a small crockpot for taking to a party. Enjoy:flower:

I have a 6 pack of Philadelphia Cream Cheese. It expired Feb 17, 2018. Should I throw out or still good and for how long?

If its still good, I will use one block for bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers. Another block for a cheese ball type appetizer. Need some other ideas to use up the other 4 blocks. TIA!

If it's not open, it's probably still gonna be good for a few more weeks, but I wouldn't want to test how long - I'd just do what you're doing and plan recipes for the other blocks to use asap...

And if you need more ideas - cream-cheese mashed potatoes, cheesecake bars (so you don't need the hassle of cheesecake), raspberry cream cheese muffins, cream cheese pasta alfredo (with chicken and a sauteed green on top, so you cut some of the extra richness you'll get), green chile and cream cheese chicken enchiladas...I can keep going if you need more:)...

Make a cheese cake (my recipes takes 3 blocks) and freeze the cheesecake if you do not need it right away.
Oreo cream cheese balls freeze nicely too.

Food doesn't just magically spoil the day it expires. Expiration dates didn't even start to appear until the late 1970's when I was already an adult. Somehow I survived my childhood eating foods without expiration dates. If something tasted off, it got tossed. I think that is one reason my mom never bought fluid milk, only powdered milk. I read somewhere a few years back that powdered milk rations from World War II were tested and found to still be wholesome and had lost none of their nutritional value!
And according to Smithsonian Magazine, those dates are mostly made up.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...od-are-basically-made-hard-get-rid-180950304/

When you see actual mold growing on the cream cheese. Which has NOTHING to do with the expiration date. TBH I think we are going through a block of cream cheese in our fridge that was bought during the Christmas holiday sales...

Oh, and one more idea - SOUP:)...whether it's Panera Potato soup, Broccoli Cheese soup, or a Low-Carb Cream of Cauliflower, soups can use cream cheese and not taste "cream cheesy":)...

If it isn't growing anything funky and doesn't smell odd, you can probably safely use it at least a week past its expiration date if stored properly for the entire time.

According to Philadelphia Cream Cheese, under normal refrigerator conditions of 40° at all times, an unopened package of cream cheese is good 1 month past the “Best When Purchased By” date on the carton. Once opened, cream cheese should be used within 10 days.

Oh, and one more idea - SOUP:)...whether it's Panera Potato soup, Broccoli Cheese soup, or a Low-Carb Cream of Cauliflower, soups can use cream cheese and not taste "cream cheesy":)...

Soup sounds good. Anyone have a Panera broccoli cheese soup recipe that's been tried and taste just like Panera? I have 1/2 a bag of broccoli

If it's not open, it's probably still gonna be good for a few more weeks, but I wouldn't want to test how long - I'd just do what you're doing and plan recipes for the other blocks to use asap...

And if you need more ideas - cream-cheese mashed potatoes, cheesecake bars (so you don't need the hassle of cheesecake), raspberry cream cheese muffins, cream cheese pasta alfredo (with chicken and a sauteed green on top, so you cut some of the extra richness you'll get), green chile and cream cheese chicken enchiladas...I can keep going if you need more:)...

Cheesecake bars sound yummy! Do you have a recipe to share? Oh my green chile chicken enchiladas so good! Do you have any dip ideas?

Cheesecake bars sound yummy! Do you have a recipe to share? Oh my green chile chicken enchiladas so good! Do you have any dip ideas?

See, I "kinda" follow recipes, so I'm usually the worst one to ask...but this one is one I've done "kinda close" and it comes out really well!

https://pinchofyum.com/peanut-butter-chocolate-chip-cookie-cheesecake-bars

And for dip, I love one that will again make it not about the cream cheese, so I might go with this spinach and artichoke one...(for this one, I might follow some of the comments and add more acid and spice:)

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/spinach-artichoke-dip-1209#activity-feed

See, I "kinda" follow recipes, so I'm usually the worst one to ask...but this one is one I've done "kinda close" and it comes out really well!

https://pinchofyum.com/peanut-butter-chocolate-chip-cookie-cheesecake-bars

And for dip, I love one that will again make it not about the cream cheese, so I might go with this spinach and artichoke one...(for this one, I might follow some of the comments and add more acid and spice:)

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/spinach-artichoke-dip-1209#activity-feed
Thank you for the recipes. If I had unsalted butter right now Id be in the kitchen baking these-lol! The dip looks yummy too I have artichokes but no spinach :/ Hopefully tomorrow or Wednesday I can hit the grocery store. DH and I just got back fro WW and costco

Food doesn't just magically spoil the day it expires. Expiration dates didn't even start to appear until the late 1970's when I was already an adult. Somehow I survived my childhood eating foods without expiration dates. If something tasted off, it got tossed. I think that is one reason my mom never bought fluid milk, only powdered milk. I read somewhere a few years back that powdered milk rations from World War II were tested and found to still be wholesome and had lost none of their nutritional value!
And according to Smithsonian Magazine, those dates are mostly made up.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...od-are-basically-made-hard-get-rid-180950304/
Anyone else feel that the use by and expiration dates are set by the companies to sell more product? Smell test always is my go to method.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter