Credit Cards- switching from an Aeroplan to ??

I think the HSBC card has no foreign exchange fees too.
Yup, no f/x fees, so you would be getting 3% on travel purchases and 1.5% on everything else, regardless of whether they are in C$ or not.

Maybe this combo would work for you:
  • Triangle World Elite MC (no annual fee, earns CT money): 3% at grocery stores (excluding Costco & Walmart), 4% at Canadian Tire (and partner stores), 5-7c/L on gas at Canadian Tire and Husky gas stations, 1% on utility/tax bills (not otherwise payable by credit card) via CTFS, free roadside assistance.
  • Rogers World Elite MC (no annual fee, earns cashback): 1.5% at Costco, Walmart and everywhere else, 0.5% net return on non-C$ purchases. (Need to spend a minimum of $15,000 annually on this card to prevent being downgraded to the Platinum version.)
  • Simplii Cashback Visa (no annual fee, earns cashback): 4% at restaurants (but only if you spend a lot dining out, otherwise, probably not worth carrying an extra card for the extra bit of return).
With that, you would be only getting 1.5% on recurring payments (i.e., internet/TV/mobile/insurance/etc) and non-CT/Husky gas vs. 4% that you could be getting with the Scotia Momentum Visa Infinite, but you aren't paying any annual fees. So you have to do the calculation, i.e., do you spend more than $4,800 annually on recurring payments and non-CT/Husky gas? That's the break-even point for the $120 annual fee on the Scotia card, so you should add that to the mix above if you spend more than that. (The break-even if you also want a supplementary card for your spouse would be $6,800 rather than $4,800.)

Once travel restrictions ease up and we can freely travel, then a card that earns on travel spend would be needed in the mix, such as the HSBC World Elite MC, which gives you 3% on travel (hotels, airfare, car rentals, etc) and 1.5% on everything else. This card can replace the Rogers card as it has the same base 1.5% earning rate.

Thank you SO much!

That’s too bad, I was thinking about the Rogers card for the Forex. But I have too many cards as it is. I still have my CIBC Aeroplan elite even though I haven’t flown Air Canada for years after too many mess ups. But bank pays for it so I use it occas. I have the Alaska Mastercard world elite because of the perks when flying Alaska, (always fly Alaska now) free luggage, and of course miles. This is my primary.
Then have the Costco Capital One, wel because my husband wanted it lol. He doesn’t have to carry a membership card plus cc. So we use it at Costco and gas. And still have AE from prior Costco card but never use. Except for Front of the Line. But no shows now!
Sadly we aren’t allowed to use credit card to pay our property tax. Guess it costs the city too much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!