$ Crisis !!! I need info on nice (but cheap) hotel. Priceline/Hotel kingdom ?

kdudley3

<font color=orange>I'm a teepee...I'm a wigwam...I
We've bought tickets. But, a finacial crisis has arrived (death in family/have to bail someone out) and I'm bound and determined to make it to USF/IOA next year. I've heard about a hotel right on the corner across from USF (Radisson?). I need to find a nice room for 7 people, with mini kitchen or at least continental breakfast. I'm not sure how to research hotels in the area. I'd also like to know how Priceline works. I've looked into it and was afraid to continue (I was afraid I'd mistakingly book a room). I know it has something to do with a 3 star hotel within the area or something. I was so looking forward to HRH, but have to give it up. I'm trying to find about $75 a day in early May of next year.

I need you guys to help keep my sanity !!!! (and cash!!!)

Thanks guys!!!!!!!! I really appreciate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is the answer to your prayers - biddingfortravel.com

This site will explain all the ins and outs of bidding on Priceline and also lists previous winning bids for different cities (including Orlando). I stayed at the Radisson last September for $25/night through Priceline.com. Although, you can't guarantee that you'll get the Radisson, I am certain that all of the other 3* hotels are just as nice - just maybe not as convenient. But, if you have a car, it shouldn't be a problem. Note that the Radisson did not have continental breakfast, but it was by a restaurant with a $3.99 breakfast buffet, if I'm not mistaken.

You said you were going next year. I would hold off bidding until maybe a couple of months before you go - you never know, your finances may pick up, allowing you to stay at one of the Universal Resorts (you may be able to snag a $99 Entertainment rate).

At any rate, good luck to you and be sure to check out biddingfortravel.com. In my opinion, everyone should study that board before using Priceline.com

I second tarmand's reply about really doing your homework before bidding on priceline.

The trade-off with priceline is that you have no control over what hotel you stay at. You pick a quality level, a general area and your price. Priceline picks your hotel & once your bid is accepted, you're stuck - no cancellations or refunds.

You have time to plan and save. Do you or your spouse travel for business? If so, consider joining one of the hotel programs. Most of the programs also have credit cards and long-distance programs available to help you increase your points.

My BF stays at Residence Inns when he travels which is part of Marriott. They have kitchens in their suites. He's in a 2 bedroom right now (all by his lonesome-they must have been out of studios). We're hoping to have enough points to cover part of our stay at a wedding we're going to this November.

I like BiddingForTravel, too, but I think Priceline only lets you bid on double rooms.

Make sure you read ALL the instructions and FAQs before you place a bid!

Your chances of getting a hotel room that will accommodate 7 people on PL is very low. They only guarantee double occupancy. In the 3 star USF category there is a chance for the Homewood Suites but that's just one of 8.

Down on Major Blvd the Suburban Suites and ExtendedStay America offer suites with small kitchens for very attractive weekly rates.

Have you considered renting a condo or a house for your group? That time of year is low season and you can get a real good deal on vacation rentals. I stayed in a 4 bedroom house in April that went for about $90 a night and the 3 bedrooms go for about $85 a night. Let me know if you need more information.

Good luck!

You're right, Kelly, with priceline you are guaranteed a room for two people. I would bid on two or three rooms in their case. Although you are only guaranteed a room for two, I doubt that you will encounter that much of a problem getting two double beds in Orlando. Also, if you bid on 2.5* in the Universal Zone, it seems that the previous winning hotels have been Amerisuites and Wingate Inn - Amerisuites would have some sort of kitchen facilities. Maybe 2.5* is the way to go in this instance. Two rooms in a 2.5* hotel thru Priceline at about $35 each = $70/night. If you get the Amerisuites, that would include two bathrooms and two kitchens! Remember, do your research on biddingfortravel.com and MAKE SURE that you are willing to abide by Pricline's rules before bidding since it is non-refundable - another reason to wait until closer to your travel date. Good luck on your research. And don't give up yet on a resort at Universal - you never know what will happen!

You could always rent a home close by also (do a search on Florida Vacation Rentals). You can find 3 and 4 bedroom homes, with screened in pools for a price of $ 700 to $ 1000 a week.

Just a thought.

Phil from PA

Thanks alot everyone. Biddingfortravel turned out to be the greatest site for info. My group includes my mom and dad, so 2 rooms is what I was looking for. It would be so cool to get Amerisuites for $35 a night.

This is going to be the first leg of our vacation and the second leg pricing is set. (we're staying on the beach at St. Pete's). So, the only leeway (sp?) I have is the hotel room for USF.

You guys are so great....I wish I could meet up with you all !!!!!!

I'm thinking about doing ebay to get upsome extra $$$.

My mistake was telling the kids too early (I can't seem to keep surprises secret !!!).

My husband is very impressed with all of the info I've learned online (I give you guys all the credit) !!!!!!

Thank you, thank you and thank you again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I know you are looking into Priceline but have you called the new Royal Pacific at Universal on Entertainment rates for next May? I know we are getting it for $99 a night now which possibly is not what you are wanting to pay but I am mainly doing it for front of the line access. You could possibly check and maybe stay one night there which would give you front of the line for the day you arrive and if I am correct the day you check out. (you might want to check on that with some else). Just a thought since you were wanting to stay at HRH. Also, with Priceline you may not want to bid until closer to your trip because once you do it you cannot change it.

My advice to you is to reconsider your choice of Amerisuites. I stayed at the Amerisuites Universal last August and it was awful!
First of all, calling these rooms suites is a crime:what you actually get is a standard sized hotel room with 2 double (NOT queen) beds shoved to within a foot of each other so that a partition can be built to house a loveseat, chair, desk, and small counter. The counter holds a SMALL fridge(2 liter soda bottles will not fit well), very small micro, and a coffee maker.
The TV is positioned on a swivel base so that you can watch it in the "bedroom" or crane your neck to watch around the partition in the seating area.
It was myself and 3 kids under 12 and we were VERY cramped. We paid 69 per night, and I would have been able to deal with the cramped quarters if it had not been for all the other problems...
the 1st night we were there a false alarm at 3 am and we had to evacuate the building,
the second night our toilet backed up and we waited over 2 hours for a plunger, the fellow that brought it expected us to fix it ourselves and when I insisted he do it, he left a wet mess in the bathroom.
the third night we came back from the parks at 10 pm to find our door had been left propped wide open all day by the housekeeping staff.
as we packed to leave onthe 5th day I checked behind the loveseat to see if the kids had dropped anything there and found an old empty vodka bottle which I presented to the front desk as I checked out. They took the last night off my bill... gee thanks.
The only positive things there was nice pool & a decent continental breakfast, but no other food service on the premises.
In contrast I stayed at the Holiday Inn right next door for my next trip. For 89 per night we got a real suite with 2 large rooms, full kitchen & dining area, 2 TVs, 2 vanities, 2 queen beds in the bedroom, and a queen size convertible in the living room. We were 6 people for that trip and very comfy. They had a TGIFriday's on site which offered a nice hot breakfast buffet and terrific room service.
I have never done the house rental thing nd I have heard good and bad stoories about it, but it sounds like it might work for you since you have the time to research it.
Good luck!:jester:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter