Critique my purchase plan ... for a 2nd DVC contract! (UPDATE post #35)

So... the saga has taken an interesting twist.

Last night, I decided to get DH on board with BWV over BCV because the points are cheaper, etc. (points made above by many)
DH first says, "I thought you/we [ok I'm a little fuzzy on the pronoun here] decided to get Boardwalk."

[Then here I condense a lot of discussion about end dates, 7mo availability, the merits of an EP resort, why did we buy BLT in the first place, maybe we should buy more BLT points, studios v. 1br at different times of year, much consultation of points charts, more discussion of resorts, MFs, what happens in years 2040-2042, ...]

And we have an accepted offer on 200 VGF points, Aug UY. Not a typo.

Now I duck while @Dean, @Ben E N, @DduzDis and everyone else goes, "WHAT DID YOU JUST DO?"

:oops::rolleyes1:disrocks:
I totally understand. We are at VGF now. We decided to do a resort day since we will be at MVMCP tonight. But we gotta eat so got a last minute ressie at Be Our Guest for lunch. VGF is great.

I do love a good plot twist. Unless I missed something you still own BLT as well right? As I was reading I thought you were looking to sell your BLT in favor of something near EP. That is where I would have been asking the question. Lol. Congratulations on finding something you will enjoy!

What a twist at the end! I highly considered VGF as well earlier this year, but landed on Bay Lake as you might remember, I think we bought around the same time. As nice as it probably is to walk to Epcot, VGF has some good long-term value to it. The strollers won't be forever (even though it seems that way with a 2 year old) so I think you made a good choice! I'm getting some addonitis as well but since I spent my bonus on my 30 direct points, I'll have to wait a while.

Yes, we bought at BLT earlier in the year and *thought* we wanted a home resort at EP. This plan may have made more sense when BWV could be had for $90pp or less, and VGF was around $140. Ultimately since VGF is really our favorite resort and its prices didn't go up as much as the other resorts this summer, the $/point spread started to make VGF look more and more attractive. With BWV looking like $105-115, BCV $115-$125, $135-140 for VGF looks like a decent deal. And our BLT points are most likely our "sleep around" points and we'll sleep around in late summer when many families are back in school and point costs are low. And if they keep pushing F&W earlier, we may even be able to catch the beginning of F&W someday.

Yes, we bought at BLT earlier in the year and *thought* we wanted a home resort at EP. This plan may have made more sense when BWV could be had for $90pp or less, and VGF was around $140. Ultimately since VGF is really our favorite resort and its prices didn't go up as much as the other resorts this summer, the $/point spread started to make VGF look more and more attractive. With BWV looking like $105-115, BCV $115-$125, $135-140 for VGF looks like a decent deal. And our BLT points are most likely our "sleep around" points and we'll sleep around in late summer when many families are back in school and point costs are low. And if they keep pushing F&W earlier, we may even be able to catch the beginning of F&W someday.

Makes sense, always good to consider the whole market vs make an emotional decision on one resort.

Now I duck while @Dean, @Ben E N, @DduzDis and everyone else goes, "WHAT DID YOU JUST DO?"

:oops::rolleyes1:disrocks:
You just spent a chunk more money for the same points, if you'll stay at VGF 80% of the time or more, it's likely worth it; otherwise it may be a poor choice you're regret. I just had a discussion with a member that did just that, buy VGF and regret it. Now they have to decide whether to sell and rebuy or hold tight.

Glad you went for it! Judging from your posts, you clearly prefer that place. Here's to hoping the best for you.

Ha! Did that really come through in my posts? When we bought BLT I had a nagging concern whether we were making the wrong decision. But BLT was definitely the better value then, and I managed to talk myself out of VGF. Or so I thought.
You only live once....... might as well go for the best resort :welcome:

Well, at least some of this is due to you! But yes, you're right. :)

Makes sense, always good to consider the whole market vs make an emotional decision on one resort.

Well, there was some emotion factoring into that decision... I was looking at this chart but plugging in my "realistic but hopeful" price and it put VGF at #2 on the list, at $9 per point per year. So I'd be paying $100 per year more for VGF than for SSR (assuming all other purchase prices stayed the same, of course). Given how much more I like VGF, it makes sense.

https://www.dvcresalemarket.com/blo...l-dues-and-its-economic-impact-to-owning-dvc/

You just spent a chunk more money for the same points, if you'll stay at VGF 80% of the time or more, it's likely worth it; otherwise it may be a poor choice you're regret. I just had a discussion with a member that did just that, buy VGF and regret it. Now they have to decide whether to sell and rebuy or hold tight.

Yes, the more I think about it, we will most likely use our VGF points for VGF stays, and if we have any extra points (we are going to bank and use the VGF contract in alternating years from the BLT contract), we can then look and see what we can do for a shorter stay somewhere else. Most likely we'd use our BLT points to "sleep around", but we do love VGF. 1900 Park Fare is becoming an arrival night dinner tradition for us, if we are staying anywhere on the monorail. We also love being able to walk to Poly. I do think it's possible to overthink one's decision, especially on such a big chunk of money, but I have essentially spent the last 8 months telling myself why we didn't "need" VGF and my arguments were not very convincing.

....(snip)....... I have essentially spent the last 8 months telling myself why we didn't "need" VGF and my arguments were not very convincing.
The heart wants what the heart wants. No getting past that, LOL. I don't think you will end up regretting the purchase. Congratulations!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!