Crock pot, precook chicken or throw raw chicken in?

nelson84

Mouseketeer
I don't think the temperature in a crock pot is high enough to kill andy bacteria to throw raw chicken or frozen chicken in a crock pot. Has anyone gotten sick from raw chicken in a crock pot? Or is it ok to cook this way with the raw chicken?

I cook chicken in my slow cooker all the time (either whole or pieces). We've never gotten sick from it. It actually turns out very well with the meat just falling off the bones.

I always put raw/frozen chicken in the slow cooker. I purposefully look for slow cooker recipes that all I have to do is dump everything in. Why cook a meal twice is how I feel. :confused3 We have never gotten sick.

It's perfectly safe to cook chicken in a crock pot, either whole or pieces bone in or boneless. They do say to never put frozen meats of any kind in, but I know many people who say they do; I don't though as I don't want to take that chance.

I always cook a whole fryer in the crock pot, actually doing one today. I like to start it on high for about an hour, then turn it down. never got sick from it and has a wonderful taste. and I agree, no deboning it cause it falls apart.

I thought it had to get to a certain tempature, crockpots are not that hot.

Crockpots cook VERY hot. It just cooks things slowly.
My chicken tortilla soup is *bubbling* away in mine now. ;)
I have cooked frozen chicken breasts hundreds of times in my crockpot without any problems at all.

It's all about internal temperature of the food, not the temp of the cooking vessel. It's low & slow just like a dutch oven in your regular oven.
Crock pots can get very hot and many of the new ones have more temperature settings than high and low.

I always cook mine on high for most of the cooking time and never had a problem. As long as chicken is cooked through OK (white all through, no pink bits) you shouldn't have a problem. The only stuff I precook is mince (browned just to get the fat off - I don't pre-cook meatballs) and sausages - browned for cosmetic reasons as I think otherwise they look a bit rude:rolleyes1

Did one yesterday. The old mix uncooked rice with cream soups and water, throw on frozen chicken. Added a bit of soup on top, sprinkled some onion soup mix. Added some water and threw it on high. Delicious 5 hrs later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter