Cross border shopping (same day trip)

ottawamom

The "Air Miles" Lady
I'm having a fabric emergency and will be making a quick trip across the border to pick up some things. If I keep my fabric purchases to less than $50 will I have an issue crossing back into Canada.

What if I add $50 in groceries to that shop?

Using the Ogdensburg ON crossing (if that makes a difference)

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I'm having a fabric emergency and will be making a quick trip across the border to pick up some things. If I keep my fabric purchases to less than $50 will I have an issue crossing back into Canada.

What is I add $50 in groceries to that shop?

Using the Ogdensburg ON crossing (if that makes a difference)

Thoughts?

There won't be an issue, exactly, but in the worst case you might have to pay duty and/or taxes on the value of whatever you purchase. No guarantees, but I have never been charged duty/taxes on same-day purchases under $100. Actually I've never been charged duty on same-day trips at all, but I don't think I've ever pushed it over $100. Maybe $150. Remember that, strictly speaking, your declared value is supposed to be in Canadian dollars.

I don't think the crossing makes much difference. I've found US border agents at Ogdensburg to be almost ridiculously casual (not that I'm complaining), but Canadian border agents are pretty darn consistent. They have their list of questions they run through, and there's not much variation regardless of who you get or where you cross. My experience only, of course.

ETA: Duty rate on fabric is probably 18%. Most groceries are likely duty-free. But again, I don't think it's likely you'll be charged. When they ask you what you're bringing back, I would phrase it as "under $100 (or whatever you actually spend) in groceries and some fabric". Let them ask for the split if they care. Most likely they won't pull you in for groceries - it's not worth their time.

It will all depend on the CBSA agent since "technically" there is no duty free allowance for less than 24 hours...that being said, I have crossed at Niagara Falls with $100 and been waived through and other times been made to pay the GST/HST. Groceries should be no problem as there is normally no GST/HST on them.

It's always best to just claim your purchases, especially if you are at a border crossing where people make day trips quite often. They know what to look for. The tax/duty won't break you, if you're able to make that trip and I bet it's still cheaper than buying at home. Also, there's a chance, they'll just let you through.

I cross the Ogdensburg border every few weeks. I always break it down to $___ in purchases and $____ in groceries - groceries are duty free and HST free. I always keep my purchases (not groceries) under $100 and they usually don't bring you in to pay.

You don't get any exemption for a day trip but you can be lucky if you have only a few things. The link will give you the duties you will need to pay per category. Textiles are 20% duties + taxes (see category 1) but grocery (except taxable grocery) is always duty-free (see category 3).
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/e604-eng.html

Thanks for the link. I just went through it and realized that there is no duty on sewing machine (sales tax though). Joann's has a beginner sewing machine for $99 this weekend. May have to pick one up for my DS girlfriend.

I cross often just to shop for the day. Basically, whether you have to pay or not depends which way the wind blows and who's asking. Lately, we have had to go in and pay a few times. Last time we had $170 between the two of us, which is a usual amount for us and we had to pay. Other times we have had more than $300 and they didn't care. Overall though, we have been let off more times than we have had to pay so the balance is in my favour.

As PP's have said technically there is no exemption for the day. I just buy what I want and hope for the best. I only buy what I can't get in Canada unless it's an incredible deal. So go and have a fun time.

For groceries, be aware there are limits on things like meat and dairy. As far as the taxes, I end up paying about 40% of the time.

For groceries, be aware there are limits on things like meat and dairy. As far as the taxes, I end up paying about 40% of the time.

There is also a limit of 1 turkey and I am not sure if there is still an issue with eggs....I once had my 18 pack of eggs confiscated because of where they were from due to Avian Flu.

My groceries are likely to be the healthy things like Keebler cookies and Cherry Coke, maybe Land O Lakes hot chocolate if I can find it. I'm off to Metro first thing to pick up my Airmiles grocery shopping before heading off for my fabric emergency.

I cross often just to shop for the day. Basically, whether you have to pay or not depends which way the wind blows and who's asking. Lately, we have had to go in and pay a few times. Last time we had $170 between the two of us, which is a usual amount for us and we had to pay. Other times we have had more than $300 and they didn't care. Overall though, we have been let off more times than we have had to pay so the balance is in my favour.

As PP's have said technically there is no exemption for the day. I just buy what I want and hope for the best. I only buy what I can't get in Canada unless it's an incredible deal. So go and have a fun time.

Yes, and I have the feeling it has something to do with the number of people in the vehicle. Seems to me, if it's our whole family of 4, we can bring more without being pulled in, while if it was just me, I think the "limit" would be lower.

My groceries are likely to be the healthy things like Keebler cookies and Cherry Coke, maybe Land O Lakes hot chocolate if I can find it. I'm off to Metro first thing to pick up my Airmiles grocery shopping before heading off for my fabric emergency.

Cherry coke is taxable so you might have to pay duties on that one but you should be okay for the cookies. ;) I'm also planning to go to NY for a quick grocery run since I forget to bring back tons of sweet tea on our way back from FL and I'm okay at paying duties and taxes since I cannot get it here. I'm just debating if I should simple pre-fill the form we have with Nexus with my credit card number and avoid going inside or take my chances and maybe be let in the country without having to pay anything.

I don't cross at Ogdensburg usually Fort Erie or Lewiston and at least 3x a month.
It's hit and miss as has been said whether I pay tax ..sometimes I declare $300 and get waved through and sometimes $100 and I pay tax...but I only go for the day and no matter what I've bought , I never ever pay duty. HST yes occasionally , but no duty. I've also had Nexus for maybe 8 years and never completed a form. Don't even know what it looks like. Weird how it can be so variable.

That's great! I just did a cross border trip to Bellingham, WA. Trader Joes And Costco. With a little stop at Macy's.
I didn't separate clothing and groceries. All I was asked was total $ spent and if I bought tobacco or alcohol. I've never had a problem.

This conversation is one of the reasons I do not like to cross land boarders. There is far too much variation in what you get and how you get treated compared to the consistent treatment you get at an airport.

Going into the USA I've had everything from where you from and how long you planning on staying to show me your; hotel confirmation, tickets, how much money you have, credit card, more ID etc. And coming back I've had 20 questions to any alcohol/tobacco?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!