Crowds in MAY

Lindsey17

Mouseketeer
My husband and I are considering a trip out to CA for our anniversary and wanted to spend a few days at Disneyland. What are the crowds like in May? Does Disneyland have a slower season like WDW typically does or since it's mostly locals does that not exist?

I would check further but I think they start the Grad nites in May. They are at California Adventure.
Hours are shorter 8:00 close.

I think the consensus is that it's gotten harder to predict crowds, in part because Disney is more active in doing different things to try to even out the crowds between the busy and the not-quite-as-busy times. But, although it's hard to predict with much accuracy, I think a crowd calendar like the one at "Is It Packed?" is as good an indicator as we have. And as long as you recognize that there's a decent margin of error, a resource like can give a general idea of what you should expect.

According to the site, May should have some pretty reasonable days, especially during the first half of the month. As @Grammy4Lizzy mentioned above, there are Grad nights in May (those are listed on the "Is It Packed?" calendar, too). That's something to consider, but it wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me.

We were there Apr 30-May 2 this spring and I would call the crowds moderate. Disney was offering the good ticket deal -- $210 for 3 days -- that many people took advantage of before SWGE opened. If crowds stay soft after the first of the year I would suspect more ticket deals. That helps on the cost but might drive crowds up as a PP pointed out.

Weekdays and arriving early are still your best bet for lower crowds at any time.

PHXscuba

I have experienced low crowds in May. My birthday is the 10th, so I've been several times around that day. As the PP mentioned, a lot hinges on whether there is a ticket offer next spring. The last few years there has been a ticket offer for locals that expires in May, so that tends to make weekends crazy and locals flock to the park to use the last day on their ticket. Even though it's really difficult to predict crowds anymore, I wouldn't hesitate to plan a trip in May.

Thanks everyone. Our Anniversary is May 12th and my birthday is the 17th so I would love to do it over that time frame, but would love to avoid the grad nights if possible. I think we were planning on doing weekdays anyway, but good to know.

Thanks I'll have to check that site out. I have touring plans for World, but didn't want to buy Disneyland to only look at the calendar.

My husband and I are considering a trip out to CA for our anniversary and wanted to spend a few days at Disneyland. What are the crowds like in May? Does Disneyland have a slower season like WDW typically does or since it's mostly locals does that not exist?

We are going in May (16-23). We were there the same week in 2016 and the crowds were quite reasonable. Hoping for the same this trip!

We usually go for my birthday (first week in May) but went on a cruise this year. Usually the weather is pretty nice and the crowds are manageable. Last year though it was crowded and incredibly hot. We try to avoid Grad Nites by going off property on those days, but even when we have gone in the parks on those days it has not been too crazy. Small groups of teens going on rides etc but we have never noticed them being too rowdy although some people have noticed line cutting/bad language.

Grad Nite tickets are tiered. I don't recall specifics but it was something like 3 options. They can buy tickets for the whole day - either a PH or just DCA - or just for the party. Thing is the whole class has to buy the same ticket and they all arrive and go in the park at the same time.

The last week of April and the first week of May are nice. Great weather usually and not crazy crowded, just regular crowded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter