Cruise followed by Aulani?

cgattis

DIS Veteran
Summer 2017 we are going to Hawaii!! Now, what are we going to do??!?! I'd like to see several islands but do not love the idea (or cost) of hopping around with 4 people. So I've been thinking about an inter-island cruise. I want our trip to end with four (ish) night at Aulani, for a full day at Pearl Harbor and three days of just the resort.

Has anyone done an inter-island cruise?

We did a Vancouver to Hawaii cruise on RCCL in September. Then we went to Aulani for 6 nights, it was fabulous. In 1992 we had done an American Hawaii Cruise around the islands so we have been to ports twice now. There are plenty of port excursions to pick from, so we would happily do another Hawaiian Island cruise.

Our goal is to go back to Hawaii in February 2017 and we are considering the NCL cruise of the islands to be able to once again see the other islands. It overnights in Maui which suits us, I understand that's where to go to see whales. Also I am under the impression that it goes past the volcano coast at night twice so both sides of the ship can see it, but I have been told the port side is best because that is when the narrators talk is happening.

I have never been on Norwegian and we have heard good and bad things, but recently we talked to an HR person who worked on NCL in Hawaii, and she gave us insights into how they have improved the Hawaiian product. She has nearly convinced us. We have about 6 months before we finally decide.

We did a Vancouver to Hawaii cruise on RCCL in September. Then we went to Aulani for 6 nights, it was fabulous. In 1992 we had done an American Hawaii Cruise around the islands so we have been to ports twice now. There are plenty of port excursions to pick from, so we would happily do another Hawaiian Island cruise.

Our goal is to go back to Hawaii in February 2017 and we are considering the NCL cruise of the islands to be able to once again see the other islands. It overnights in Maui which suits us, I understand that's where to go to see whales. Also I am under the impression that it goes past the volcano coast at night twice so both sides of the ship can see it, but I have been told the port side is best because that is when the narrators talk is happening.

I have never been on Norwegian and we have heard good and bad things, but recently we talked to an HR person who worked on NCL in Hawaii, and she gave us insights into how they have improved the Hawaiian product. She has nearly convinced us. We have about 6 months before we finally decide.
Please keep us posted on what you decide and why!

We did the NCL cruise in 2013. I really loved it.
When you have time, would you mind telling me more?? Like maybe your favorite ports/excursions and favorite things about the ship? I'll be traveling with DH, DD(then about to turn)16, and DS(then)14.

Only on DCL and they do not do them very often. Several of the larger cruise lines do Hawaii cruises regularly. NCL has a ship that has US registry so it can do a round trip around the islands from Honolulu. Any other line will have to make a stop at a "distant foreign port" since they do not use US-registered ships. Which is why you generally see Hawaii cruises as "repositioning" cruises or cross-Pacific stopping in Vancouver or Mexico.

Last edited:
When you have time, would you mind telling me more?? Like maybe your favorite ports/excursions and favorite things about the ship? I'll be traveling with DH, DD(then about to turn)16, and DS(then)14.

I know the ship has been refurbished since then but I really liked all the local entertainment they did. They had lei making sessions (free with basic supplies - could buy fancier stuff if you want), hula dance lessons, and hawaiian music. It really felt immersive. Also - we had a really sweet balcony (extended - it was HUGE) so I loved that. It was awesome to have people over on our balcony while we cruised the Napali coast.

Favorite excursions - well we loved them all. We did road to hana and tubing the ditch on our own and both were a blast. With the ship we did a coffee plantation, macademia nut factory, chocolate plantation/factory, volcanos park... those were all great too! They were all fairly reasonably priced - averaging about $100 per (reasonable considering some were hundreds of dollars). Most of the ship did the luau and the ship was pretty much empty that night!

Only on DCL and they do not do them very often. Several of the larger cruise lines do Hawaii cruises regularly. NCL has a ship that has US registry so it can do a round trip around the islands from Honolulu. Any other line will have to make a stop at a "distant foreign port" since they do not use US-registered ships. Which is why you generally see Hawaii cruises as "repositioning" cruises or cross-Pacific stopping in Vancouver or Mexico.
I guess I just need to start checking all the lines' websites and watching to see if they post any itineraries. Thanks for the info!

I know the ship has been refurbished since then but I really liked all the local entertainment they did. They had lei making sessions (free with basic supplies - could buy fancier stuff if you want), hula dance lessons, and hawaiian music. It really felt immersive. Also - we had a really sweet balcony (extended - it was HUGE) so I loved that. It was awesome to have people over on our balcony while we cruised the Napali coast.

Favorite excursions - well we loved them all. We did road to hana and tubing the ditch on our own and both were a blast. With the ship we did a coffee plantation, macademia nut factory, chocolate plantation/factory, volcanos park... those were all great too! They were all fairly reasonably priced - averaging about $100 per (reasonable considering some were hundreds of dollars). Most of the ship did the luau and the ship was pretty much empty that night!
When you say "the luau," do you mean in one of the ports? Sounds like you didn't....why? Is there one at/near Aulani that is good? Thanks for letting me pick your brain!!

The Paradise Cove Luau is within walking distance of Aulani, on Oahu. When on DCL's cruise, they had an excursion on Maui for the Old Lahaina Luau.

Aulani itself has the Starlit Hui (twice a week last I looked) which is the show part of a luau without food, and with some Disney touches.

Last edited:
The Paradise Cove Luau is within walking distance of Aulani, on Oahu. When on DCL's cruise, they had an excursion on Maui for the Old Lahaina Luau.

Aulani itself has the Starlit Hui (twice a week last I looked) which is the show part of a luau without food, and with some Disney touches.
Do you have a luau recommendation? It's a must-do for us. Will definitely try to catch the starlit hui once or maybe even twice; friends that went last year loved it.

Also, any real "tiki bars" anywhere, like old-school?? I'm a BIG fan of tiki lounge music and trying HARD not to become a massive collector of tiki glasses (I've so far managed to keep it to just a few). I also might or might not have a small collection of ceramic hula girls and silk souvenir pillows.... :rolleyes1 I adore 40's and 50's (and early 60's) kitsch.

I did the NCL 7 night from Honolulu followed by Aulani in the summer of 2014. Norwegian is the only line doing roundtrip Honolulu, the others do one way or roundtrip from the Mainland of the US or Canada. The nice thing about the 7 day is lots of island time. I found that when I started crunching the numbers, this made more sense for the 3 of us than to Island hop for a week. Not sure if it was a lot cheaper, but we found it more convenient. The NCL ship, Pride of America, sails under a US flag so it was a little bit of a different cruising experience than I was used to. But I liked the ship, thought the food was good and the crew to be friendly. We only did one ship excursion in Maui to see the sunrise in Haleakala--one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. In each of the other islands we rented a car and explored on our own.

old school tiki lounge - check out La Mariana Sailing Club in Honolulu (anyone going there will need a car)

When you say "the luau," do you mean in one of the ports? Sounds like you didn't....why? Is there one at/near Aulani that is good? Thanks for letting me pick your brain!!

Yes there was one that was an excursion - I think in Kuaui? Almost everyone did that one. We decided not to do it since we were staying at Aulani for a week after and had a Luau booked. We booked the Hale Koa luau on the advice of my cousin, but it was a bit of a drive. Next time we will try Paradise Cove luau, despite the bad reputation, since it is right there.

In November we did the opposite with a group of 9. Age from 75 down to 24. We were at Aulani from 11-14 November followed by the NCL cruise. It is the second time we have done the cruise and really enjoy it. The only excursion we did was the Volcano National Park in Hilo. Everywhere else we just rented cars and did what we chose to do and it was considerably cheaper.

Gosh, thanks for all the great info!!! I'm starting to feel like I know where to start! Thanks guys!

Yes, it's a restaurant on the grounds of a small marina. Near the airport. the area is mostly industrial but they don't get any more old school than that place. Excellent ahi poke too

I responded to your similar question over on the DCL Board here, but for the convenience of others following this thread I'll repeat my comments here too.

We did a combination Aulani and inter-island cruise in February of this year. We spent 7 days at Aulani followed by a 7-night island cruise on NCL's Pride of America. If I were doing it again I might reverse the order of the two. In the end we found that while we enjoyed seeing the other islands, it was Aulani that we loved the best.

This is going to sound terrible, but frankly once you've seen 2-3 of the islands they kind of blur together. I really don't mean that to sound bad, they really are all gorgeous, with lush scenery and beautiful beaches. I just don't know how many times you can shop at similar shops or visit similar beaches or marvel at similar mountainscapes. Again, yes we did enjoy the islands. I just wanted to temper your expectations.

As far as the ship goes, we've had better cruises. The level of crew interaction on board was spotty. Some crew were wonderful. Others were just there earning a paycheck. Dining on board was also a bit of a disappointment. We sailed in concierge suites (three different suites in our travel party) which gets you a very nice room and a personal "butler". An example of the un-evenness of the service was that our butler was fine (not exceptional but fine), one of the other butlers acted like he was being put out whenever asked to do something, while the third one went out of his way to please his passengers.

Our experience at Aulani was uniformly good. This was our second visit to Aulani, having spent 4-nights there in 2014 as well. The CM's there are all very well trained and genuinely friendly. We enjoyed just spending time enjoying the lush grounds but also made time to see the other parts of Oahu. Pearl Harbor is a must. We spent about 4-hours there, hitting it about 9 am. Before you go, hit their website and purchase your timed tickets for the Arizona memorial. Then plan your visit to get there at least an hour ahead of time so you can look at the exhibits before you get on the boat. We then spent a bit more time looking at the various artifacts before leaving. We did not do the tours of the various ships but you might be interested in that too.

Other things we did on Oahu were to go into Waikiki just for the "tourist" experience there and to eat in a couple of restaurants. One real surprise was the Pineapple Room by Alan Wong, which is found in a Macy's store of all places. We drove up to Diamond Head and then further along that stretch of coast taking in some beautiful sights. On another day we drove up to the North Shore, stopping at the Dole Plantation along the way just to shop for about a half-hour. Some folks like to take the tour at the Dole plantation, which will take longer. Once at the North Shore we pretty much just drove along the coast road and did stop at one of the multitude of shrimp trucks. Its kind of a must-do experience as is getting shaved ice. :)

Another day we drove over to Kailua for more shopping and site seeing. The drive over there is really spectacular as you go through a tunnel in the mountains and come out the other side. Beautiful scenery all around.

I
I responded to your similar question over on the DCL Board here, but for the convenience of others following this thread I'll repeat my comments here too.

We did a combination Aulani and inter-island cruise in February of this year. We spent 7 days at Aulani followed by a 7-night island cruise on NCL's Pride of America. If I were doing it again I might reverse the order of the two. In the end we found that while we enjoyed seeing the other islands, it was Aulani that we loved the best.

This is going to sound terrible, but frankly once you've seen 2-3 of the islands they kind of blur together. I really don't mean that to sound bad, they really are all gorgeous, with lush scenery and beautiful beaches. I just don't know how many times you can shop at similar shops or visit similar beaches or marvel at similar mountainscapes. Again, yes we did enjoy the islands. I just wanted to temper your expectations.

As far as the ship goes, we've had better cruises. The level of crew interaction on board was spotty. Some crew were wonderful. Others were just there earning a paycheck. Dining on board was also a bit of a disappointment. We sailed in concierge suites (three different suites in our travel party) which gets you a very nice room and a personal "butler". An example of the un-evenness of the service was that our butler was fine (not exceptional but fine), one of the other butlers acted like he was being put out whenever asked to do something, while the third one went out of his way to please his passengers.

Our experience at Aulani was uniformly good. This was our second visit to Aulani, having spent 4-nights there in 2014 as well. The CM's there are all very well trained and genuinely friendly. We enjoyed just spending time enjoying the lush grounds but also made time to see the other parts of Oahu. Pearl Harbor is a must. We spent about 4-hours there, hitting it about 9 am. Before you go, hit their website and purchase your timed tickets for the Arizona memorial. Then plan your visit to get there at least an hour ahead of time so you can look at the exhibits before you get on the boat. We then spent a bit more time looking at the various artifacts before leaving. We did not do the tours of the various ships but you might be interested in that too.

Other things we did on Oahu were to go into Waikiki just for the "tourist" experience there and to eat in a couple of restaurants. One real surprise was the Pineapple Room by Alan Wong, which is found in a Macy's store of all places. We drove up to Diamond Head and then further along that stretch of coast taking in some beautiful sights. On another day we drove up to the North Shore, stopping at the Dole Plantation along the way just to shop for about a half-hour. Some folks like to take the tour at the Dole plantation, which will take longer. Once at the North Shore we pretty much just drove along the coast road and did stop at one of the multitude of shrimp trucks. Its kind of a must-do experience as is getting shaved ice. :)

Another day we drove over to Kailua for more shopping and site seeing. The drive over there is really spectacular as you go through a tunnel in the mountains and come out the other side. Beautiful scenery all around.
I didn't ask before, but the shrimp trucks.... Is this cooked shrimp, or raw to take back to your villa and cook? Also, do most/any of them usually have other stuff too? Only DS and I eat shrimp--DD and DH don't (pfffftt!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter