Cruise Refund/Reschedule: Under Official Review

Nope. We definitely would have done that. Mostly just disappointed that Disney hasn’t modified their cancellation policy like the other major cruise lines have. We were aware of the cancellation policy but this situation is unprecedented.
Bummer to hear. I know this may be unpopular and some people are going to try and defend Disney, but they need to step up and start communicating. It's now June and a lot of people have zero idea if they're actually going to sail on their summer cruises. At the very least, let them know a little something on what to expect when they do come onboard as a guest (even it isn't 100% final). If as a billion dollar company, you cannot do either two months out then modify your cancellation policy and allow guests to change or cancel for a refund for 2020 itineraries. You even have the shadiest airlines doing this. They want us to be flexible, then they need to be flexible.

Review unsuccessful. No penalty-free refund allowed.

Didn't DCL extend the deadline for PIF on August sailings when the cruise industry as a whole was impacted in the early stages of the pandemic? While it sucks that DCL didn't grant you an exception, there might still be some hope that August sailings would end up getting canceled. I was in a similar situation as yours earlier, but my PIF was before the pandemic even arrived in the US. Like you, I didn't want to risk going into the 50% penalty phase, so I bit the bullet and canceled during the deposit penalty phase. Fortunately, my sailing was eventually canceled by DCL and it subsequently offered to refund the penalty. Good luck with your decision.

LAX

If it were me, I’d hold out on them cancelling. The Parks won’t even be open a month by then (and DL still not) and Disney has said cruises would be the last thing to open. Even Carnival’s CEO is backing off their Aug 1st start and asked that people don’t read into earlier decisions.

I know it’s a really high stakes game of chicken but I’d hang in there longer. I would also make this known- there are even people on this board that say there’s no way Disney won’t refund money and it’s good for everyone to see that keeping your reservation with DCL past PIF is a gamble.

I think the cruise might be canceled by Disney if you are comfortable waiting it out. I did that with my April cruise. I had decided that I wasn't going to cruise weeks before the cruise industry was essentially shut down, but I held out, waiting for Disney to cancel so I could get a cash refund.

I agree with the PPs in thinking it is likely your cruise will end up cancelled. If that happens, then based on what DCL has done previously, they will refund you the penalty amount.

We had a cruise scheduled for September and our PIF date is in just a few days. It was booked with a placeholder that expires at the end of March. I finally called yesterday and moved the OBB to a cruise in March, the very last one I could book without losing the OBB discount. I don't think I'm going to feel comfortable sailing in September and didn't want to risk losing money.

I agree with the PPs in thinking it is likely your cruise will end up cancelled. If that happens, then based on what DCL has done previously, they will refund you the penalty amount.

We had a cruise scheduled for September and our PIF date is in just a few days. It was booked with a placeholder that expires at the end of March. I finally called yesterday and moved the OBB to a cruise in March, the very last one I could book without losing the OBB discount. I don't think I'm going to feel comfortable sailing in September and didn't want to risk losing money.
Just a comment on this: currently, those cruises booked with a placeholder (or onboard booking) with the OBB perks, if DCL cancels them, and you move it to another cruise, the OBB perks go with the reservation, regardless of the original expiration date of the OBB.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter