Cuba-Empress of the Seas

SDJEL

Mouseketeer
I'm going to be on this cruise in October with my mother and my sister. Has anyone been to Havana? Any suggestions? I'm so excited to see Cuba before it changes too much.

I'm going to be on this cruise in October with my mother and my sister. Has anyone been to Havana? Any suggestions? I'm so excited to see Cuba before it changes too much.
Just enjoy it. Don't do too many excursions

Just enjoy it. Don't do too many excursions

Have you been to Havana? This is one location where doing a ship-based excursion provides security in several ways.

First, any ship-based excursion will likely have been through the scrutiny of the state department to ensure that it meets People to People standards - if you do your own thing (which you certainly CAN provided you take the necessary steps) you'll need to get receipts and make detailed notes of what you did and how you met the People to People requirement. You can't just wander around on your own - you'll need some kind of guide. The classic cars you can do tours with will meet this - you need to talk with your guide to ensure People to People - but you will have to push for a receipt.

Second, if you are planning on eating ashore (highly recommended as the food is awesome) any tours the ships use that include meals will include only vetted restaurants to ensure that the water and such is safe to drink OR bottled water (and no ice) is provided as part of it.

Havana is a tragically beautiful city - you can see parts of the city it was next to ruins of what used to be. The people generally love Americans - talking with many when I was there you quickly see that it is the governments that have issues with each other and NOT the people.

@SDJEL I'll be happy to try and help with any questions about Havana (so sad that this is the only Cuban city most US cruise lines are going to - I really liked Santiago de Cuba and Cienfuegos much better) as I've actually been there (on fathom over Christmas).

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter