Curious to see how fast resorts start to fill up. Post your experience!

They hope! ;)

No, I'm sure it will be crazy, I just thought there would be some kind of fun advertising going on.
I just think this is a different type of property that doesn’t need that. Even Star Wars movies aren’t advertised much compared to others.

I thought so too! I'm sure the crowds will come, but...I'm wondering if the lack of advertising about this is hurting them? The average person - not stalking these boards and not a rabid Star Wars fan- has no idea this land is opening early and a vague idea it's even opening. I'm sure once people actually realize it's opening, things will pick up.

At least I haven't seen any advertising yet! :)
I think it’s the time of year - with school starting, tough for people to get away even with the draw of SWGE. Of course, will be tons of local/regional folks there to make up for it.

I also wonder how many people may be waiting on operational details? With DLR, you know that if you have a Disney hotel reservation, you are getting in. At WDW, who knows what the process is??? Why would I plan a trip where I have no way of knowing if I will even be able to get *into* the land, much less the ride?

I just think this is a different type of property that doesn’t need that. Even Star Wars movies aren’t advertised much compared to others.

You know that is a DARN good point! I don't remember seeing a lot of advertisement for the last Star Wars movie The Last Jedi. But I tell you what, my son and I were in line for another movie that opened that same weekend and a gentleman was in front of us trying to get a Star Wars ticket. When he heard there was only three seats left right in the front, he was like no thank you. Said he would do the next showing. My son, husband, and I waited till the following weekend to see it and we showed up about an hour before the movie started. Got great seats, but I'm telling you into the previews, people were coming in looking for seats. Saw a few sit along the wall! So yes...Star Wars does it's own advertising! ::yes::

As far as SWGE in both Disneyland and Disneyworld, I can almost guarantee the month before they both open, resort and ticket sales are going to sky rocket! Disney is going to be like....whoa! Here we go! :earseek: I don't have cable, but would love to see a SWGE commercial and what it does when it hits. I'm sure the phones will start ringing like crazy with questions CMs are scripted to answer! :scratchin It's still pretty early for us here in FL to see any true madness right now. But let's watch Disneyland this next month coming and see if we can get an idea for what we'll be in for when our time comes! :hyper:

And the AP holders are blocked out till September 2nd. :earseek: Do the California AP passes always work that way...summer blackouts? Or did they do this for SWGE? Will Florida APs be the same? :eek: I know ours opens a few months later, but I'm curious to the blackout dates.
Disneyland AP always has blackout dates for most of the summer. There are different tiers of AP you can buy there and the primary difference is how many blackout days.

My opinion I think we are overestimating the demand of people willing now to suddenly drop thousands of dollars for a family vacation because GE is now opening up. Either they are already planning a family vacation and are setting their dates to what fits best for their family, not when GEis opening. Prior announcements always said late fall and so I think families and fans planned around this. Sure there’s going to be massive crowds will suddenly show up, many maybe locals or just come down for a drive in one night. But I am curious to hear back on how packages are selling for end of August. I also just recently checked and there’s availability. I mean Disney is a big deal when it comes to planning a vacation in investing money. It’s not like a concert that is sold out in a second night is added people jump on it. There’s a lot more investment in this case both time and money.

I just checked our trip dates, 9/28-10/4, and 26 resorts still have availability. I haven’t read this thread in a while so I’m catching up today, and your comment just blew my mind! Everyone has been so dead-set on record crowds and how awful it’ll be, and honestly your logic hadn’t occurred to me but it makes sense. If you’re a diehard fan you probably booked for November or later and probably won’t change your plans because you want to wait for both rides m, plus you are budgeted for then. If you were waiting to book your trip till they announced the opening day, you may still not go till later because it is such an investment and you want it to be worth it. You’re right, not a lot of people will just drop a couple thousand bucks to not get the full experience.

My ADRs are next Monday and I keep moving my days around since they made the announcement because I was so worried about crowds but now I have a new mindset. Thank you!

And hey if it is busy who cares I’m at WDW with my family and that’s what park hoppers are for.

I just checked our trip dates, 9/28-10/4, and 26 resorts still have availability. I haven’t read this thread in a while so I’m catching up today, and your comment just blew my mind! Everyone has been so dead-set on record crowds and how awful it’ll be, and honestly your logic hadn’t occurred to me but it makes sense. If you’re a diehard fan you probably booked for November or later and probably won’t change your plans because you want to wait for both rides m, plus you are budgeted for then. If you were waiting to book your trip till they announced the opening day, you may still not go till later because it is such an investment and you want it to be worth it. You’re right, not a lot of people will just drop a couple thousand bucks to not get the full experience.

My ADRs are next Monday and I keep moving my days around since they made the announcement because I was so worried about crowds but now I have a new mindset. Thank you!

And hey if it is busy who cares I’m at WDW with my family and that’s what park hoppers are for.

I think there are 3 key reasons around there still being mass availability for the first month:

1. People are expecting massive crowds to begin with and are shying away until things calm a little/playing the "wait and see" game
2. People are waiting until everything is fully open
3. Many do not plan to go in September anyways because kids have just gone back to school

For many (myself included), a Disney vacation is a big chunk of $ to plan for. For myself a week long family vacation when I factor in flights, accommodations, tickets, and spending money will range anywhere between $5k-$10k (depending on what time of year to go).

So all 3 main points above apply to me. Likely would never go in September to begin with (due to kids having just got back to school) and I'm not dropping that kind of money until I know I can experience all of it with somewhat manageable crowds.

The 30% Sun and Fun discount covering the opening is now done. I suspect an AP discount covering the opening will come out (or not) around 4/28 depending on how bookings go over the next month.

The 30% Sun and Fun discount covering the opening is now done. I suspect an AP discount covering the opening will come out (or not) around 4/28 depending on how bookings go over the next month.

I have to laugh. We purchased one AP for our next trip (10 days long in May 2020) and will be buying one hopper. We always buy Memory Maker, eat pretty well with a lot of cocktails, so will purchase TIW and we like to buy souvenirs (discount) and all the great passholder stuff they have for Flower and Garden. And then I saw the room discounts for May of this year and they were great! So we thought buying our first AP - ever - would be a no-brainer.

Now I'm reading that there most likely won't be any discounts for May of next year and that all the flower/garden passholder stuff is practically gone already for this year and it's only March! :rotfl: Oh well, I guess we'll make that TIW card count! ;)

Sigh. I'm always late to the party.

We're going to WDW 9/29-10/6, followed by DLR 10/8-10/11 (from NZ, DLR is on the way home...). Originally thought we had been smart, WDW prior to the madness but still can catch it at DLR (WITH the adness). Well I guess that's changed, so I have been keeping an eye on hotel availability at both coasts, and can still see availability in most room levels at most resorts. Plus, just checked dining at DHS 8/31 and there are plenty of lunch times available.

As others have mentioned, maybe it just isn't that easy to book an expensive vacation, essentially unplanned. Or maybe Disney is finally finding the limit to pricing. I'm hoping it won't be unmanageable busy, but will be prepared for whatever comes.

As of yesterday and right now (3/28) that I checked, this is no longer true. 2 out of 3 Disney hotels are having rooms available again. People must have cancelled.

The Disneyland Hotel has Standard View, Premium View, Premium Downtown Disney View, and Stand View Club level available, prices starting at $561.
The Grand Californian has no Standard View but has the 6 room categories above it all available, prices starting at $741.
The Paradise Pier is still all booked.

I checked prices for all Standard rooms at the value hotels per month up to SWGE opening. So far, the prices have not changed compared to previous years. September and end of August are still the lowest priced time; wonder if that means lowest crowd time?

All the prices listed here are rack rate. Sometimes discounts are offered, but none are available.

upload_2019-3-28_8-14-57.png

Also, the 1 day ticket prices are still set at the lowest in September as usual, including for 8/29. And all the rooms are available. So I wonder if this means Disney has not seen a significant increase for reservations in September?

I think Disney may not need to advertise SWGE more, but they should declare their game plan better. How and when the DSL non-Disney hotel guests can get reservations for SWGE? (Some rumors say non-Disney guests won't get reservations till a week after opening.) What are the reservations good for -- 1 day, 1 hour? Is WDW for sure going to have no reservation system? When is the Resistance ride going to open in both parks? When will there be fastpasses? Will there be paid fastpasses available according to rumors?
If I were aiming for SWGE, I would want to know all this before I book anything.

I think Disney may not need to advertise SWGE more, but they should declare their game plan better. How and when the DSL non-Disney hotel guests can get reservations for SWGE? (Some rumors say non-Disney guests won't get reservations till a week after opening.) What are the reservations good for -- 1 day, 1 hour? Is WDW for sure going to have no reservation system? When is the Resistance ride going to open in both parks? When will there be fastpasses? Will there be paid fastpasses available according to rumors?
If I were aiming for SWGE, I would want to know all this before I book anything.
This will all come out over time. We just got more news on Disneyland today.

The WDW site sometimes holds rooms and shows that they're sold out when they're not. I remember booking Pop century back in October for a pre-cruise stay at WDW. They had no AoA LM rooms. I kept looking and looking and finally grabbed one randomly in January and made the switch. I had looked prior to the announcement yesterday for a room at pop century in November and they were all booked, so I had in my cart a room at all star music just in case the opening date was closer to November. Long story short, they tend to hide rooms. I ended up adding an extra day on my AoA LM on the phone, but online said it was sold out.

Disney does not hold rooms or keep rooms back for random reasons.

What happens is group room blocks are released and rooms that have been taken out of circulation for maintenance are put back in circulation.

Your best bet is 45 days out and 30 days out.

Disney does not hold rooms or keep rooms back for random reasons.

What happens is group room blocks are released and rooms that have been taken out of circulation for maintenance are put back in circulation.

Your best bet is 45 days out and 30 days out.
Not sure what you call it, but I feel like the availability at Yacht Club is funky. I’ve always assumed it was due to the need to hold room blocks for conferences and related effects.

Not sure what you call it, but I feel like the availability at Yacht Club is funky. I’ve always assumed it was due to the need to hold room blocks for conferences and related effects.
Yeah it all depends on conferences being held or not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!