D.O.C.'s = Dis'ers of Color (Disney Fans of Color)

Would you like a dedicated/featured Forum for D.O.C.'s Dis'ers Of Color & Allies

• Total voters
I keep trying to push my parents to get that D+/Hulu/ESPN deal so I can see Disney+ stuff as I already used my trial on Artemis Fowl.

I hope the team talks about the Splash Mountain ride vehicle sinking tomorrow.

I have to admit, I teared up a bit at Brown-Skin Girl. I've heard the song before, but seeing Lupita and Kelly and Naomi along with the lyrics really resonated.

Overall, I enjoyed the visuals and music-I loved the choreography. I'm not usually the biggest Beyonce fan ( I find her a bit problematic on some levels but I'm also a bit hypocritical in that I do enjoy her work at times-long story that I haven't even completely worked out for myself), but I have to give her credit for being able to so beautifully execute a vision. I can't imagine the time and attention to detail that must have taken! As much of a fan as I am of Disney, the voice overs from The Lion King took me out a little, but I guess that was the whole reason for it to be on Disney+ int he first place-the tie in to the movie?? not really sure.

l'm not usually the biggest Beyonce fan ( I find her a bit problematic on some levels but I'm also a bit hypocritical in that I do enjoy her work at times-long story that I haven't even completely worked out for myself)

Oh can you explain your opinions on this a little... because I think I might agree.

Oh can you explain your opinions on this a little... because I think I might agree.

I have to preface this with saying that this is all my thoughts in progress, these are topics I think about on a daily basis and my opinions and feelings do change and I’m only speaking for myself.

My problems with Beyoncé really reside with the subjects of aesthetics. Very long story short, I wrestle with her being a role model for young black girls (taking into account that no one specifically asks to be a role model) and the constant message (that I perceive) that the European beauty aesthetic is the most desirable. Such as sporting long, straight blonde lace fronts- I say this fully knowing that I myself blow dry my own hair straight and I am adhering to those same standards when I do so. I almost wish she would address her reasons and let her fans know that she has been subjected to the same beauty conditioning as the rest of us. I also hated how she made the saying “good hair” even more prevalent-at least with the white people I know. Some were unfamiliar with that term being used in relation to hair and I feel she made it even more ubiquitous at a time when we are trying so hard in the Black community to obliterate those terms (good vs bad hair). Actually, not sure if Chris Rock’s documentary had come out before her Lemonade album so I very well could be mistaken.

I know I focused on one aspect-hair- but that is a pretty personal thing for me and a lot of Black women in my life.

And perhaps someone with more info or knowledge could chime in, but I believe she has a history of taking people’s creative ideas and executing them as her own and not initially giving credit.

I’m also a little suspect in regard to her husband and his activities (past dealings with record labels and business partners and the deal with the NFL) but that’s a personal thing that shouldn’t reflect on her but he’s just, like, always around (trying to be a little funny here- I’m better through text with the help of emojis!).

To bring this back to Disney, I read in Jessica Simpson’s book (do NOT judge!) that she first met Destiny’s Child at a Grad Night in Disney performance so, fun fact I guess?

Would love to hear others' thoughts as well-especially those who make more sense than I do!

@TummyGirl Well said... as usual! Very interesting to read, definitely learned a little something.

My only issue with Beyonce is the fact that I think she kinda is only half-in when it comes to activism and social justice. And that’s fine for a regular artist... but if you’re going to define yourself by celebrating and being prideful of your blackness and your womanhood (which I think is safe to say what her last two projects have been about), I think you really gotta back that up. And I don’t mean saying you support Black Lives Matter or Biden... those are the barebones basics everyone should be doing. Her and Jay are billionaires... you better be handing over a ton of cash to these organizations. You should be using your voice to raise the important issues and speak for the voiceless... not coming in at the halfway mark when everyone else has done the initial hard work. She’s done a lot, but I just think she has a responsibility - that she’s almost given herself - to do more.

Bascially just practice what you preach... especially when you have the platform that you do.

I have to preface this with saying that this is all my thoughts in progress, these are topics I think about on a daily basis and my opinions and feelings do change and I’m only speaking for myself.

My problems with Beyoncé really reside with the subjects of aesthetics. Very long story short, I wrestle with her being a role model for young black girls (taking into account that no one specifically asks to be a role model) and the constant message (that I perceive) that the European beauty aesthetic is the most desirable. Such as sporting long, straight blonde lace fronts- I say this fully knowing that I myself blow dry my own hair straight and I am adhering to those same standards when I do so. I almost wish she would address her reasons and let her fans know that she has been subjected to the same beauty conditioning as the rest of us. I also hated how she made the saying “good hair” even more prevalent-at least with the white people I know. Some were unfamiliar with that term being used in relation to hair and I feel she made it even more ubiquitous at a time when we are trying so hard in the Black community to obliterate those terms (good vs bad hair). Actually, not sure if Chris Rock’s documentary had come out before her Lemonade album so I very well could be mistaken.

I know I focused on one aspect-hair- but that is a pretty personal thing for me and a lot of Black women in my life.

And perhaps someone with more info or knowledge could chime in, but I believe she has a history of taking people’s creative ideas and executing them as her own and not initially giving credit.

I’m also a little suspect in regard to her husband and his activities (past dealings with record labels and business partners and the deal with the NFL) but that’s a personal thing that shouldn’t reflect on her but he’s just, like, always around (trying to be a little funny here- I’m better through text with the help of emojis!).

To bring this back to Disney, I read in Jessica Simpson’s book (do NOT judge!) that she first met Destiny’s Child at a Grad Night in Disney performance so, fun fact I guess?

Would love to hear others' thoughts as well-especially those who make more sense than I do!

Interesting to hear your thoughts on this specifically I in watching Black Is King I noticed a lot of attention paid to the hair of many of the women in the film - lots of different styles but also clips of the hair being braided, etc and it just struck me how important hair is and ceremonial at times, etc. So was definitely something highlighted in the film ... So then for you to have this sort of opposite take on how Beyonce herself treats her hair or what she had done with it, etc. - the two dynamics seem a bit at odds with each other

I really appreciate the conversation brought up about Beyonce.

I think that this is a really interesting topic - this idea that Beyonce can be so vocal in her art about her pride in her Blackness and Womanhood while, at the same time, trying to meet certain European-centric beauty aesthetics. I think that this is probably true for so many people - feeling a sense of pride in culture while also trying to be "accepted" by the "dominant" culture.

For me, it brings up additional thoughts about like, assimilation and integration. How harmful it is to cultures. The "melting pot" or "colorblindness" that people often go to as ideas that they believe make them exempt from bigotry.

I don't know. I have a lot of feelings and thoughts in my brain and I'm not doing the best job of putting them into words.

I also want to extend grace and love to people who have pride in their cultures and family histories and do things that seem at odds with that (straightening hair, code switching, etc.) because it's a way to survive in this world. I think that the internet has allowed "cancel culture" to remain supreme - there's very little room for people to make mistakes. There is such pressure on celebrities/influencers/etc to be perfect. Is it fair to hold them to higher standards? I don't know. I can't answer that. I think people DO hold them to higher standards and then are disappointed when they don't meet/exceed those expectations. For egregious stuff, sure - those kids who went to parties on tiktok deserve to be lambasted because their actions were ridiculous - but for things like saying the wrong thing or being problematic in some way... I just think we need to give room for people to learn and grow and do better next time.

That got away from me. I don't know.

Interesting to hear your thoughts on this specifically I in watching Black Is King I noticed a lot of attention paid to the hair of many of the women in the film - lots of different styles but also clips of the hair being braided, etc and it just struck me how important hair is and ceremonial at times, etc. So was definitely something highlighted in the film ... So then for you to have this sort of opposite take on how Beyonce herself treats her hair or what she had done with it, etc. - the two dynamics seem a bit at odds with each other

definitely understandable. I should make it clear that I was referencing Beyoncé as I usually view her as a performer her, not this piece in particular. Again, this is all strictly my personal thoughts. There are so many takes on Beyoncé, critiques that articulate much better than I can off the cuff here. I have to say I’m getting used to publicly discussing things that I normally would would only keep between my black friends and family. I need to work on providing more context.

Last edited:
@TummyGirl Well said... as usual! Very interesting to read, definitely learned a little something.

My only issue with Beyonce is the fact that I think she kinda is only half-in when it comes to activism and social justice. And that’s fine for a regular artist... but if you’re going to define yourself by celebrating and being prideful of your blackness and your womanhood (which I think is safe to say what her last two projects have been about), I think you really gotta back that up. And I don’t mean saying you support Black Lives Matter or Biden... those are the barebones basics everyone should be doing. Her and Jay are billionaires... you better be handing over a ton of cash to these organizations. You should be using your voice to raise the important issues and speak for the voiceless... not coming in at the halfway mark when everyone else has done the initial hard work. She’s done a lot, but I just think she has a responsibility - that she’s almost given herself - to do more.

Bascially just practice what you preach... especially when you have the platform that you do.
I *think* I've heard rumblings over the years that they've made large donations as discreetly as possible. There was housing in Houston I think....maybe after Hurricane Harvey? They keep a lot close to the chest as far as I know.

And I overall agree - she has a very powerful voice - when she chooses to use it. I feel her 2016 endorsement of Clinton came way too late in the game. She's notoriously private and does not do interviews for the most part. Not sure why.

I for one was very confused by Jay's involvement in the NFL after what they did to Kap....and after they vocalized support of him.

I'm late to the thread (usually a lurker). I follow quite a bit of BIPOC on my twitter and retweet when it's appropriate to do so.

I grew up in a diverse area of the country (NYC suburbs), so I never knowingly engaged in blatant racism. Moved south to get away from the high cost of living in- and I see/hear casual racism so much more and it annoys me.

Yeah, I had some issues with his involvement with the NFL and his wording of the reasons why.

Yeah Jay is showing a little hypocrisy here.

I love Hov - he's one of my all time favorite artists. I am a little more forgiving with him only because he's never really had the message with his music of really celebrating blackness or social justice... he's basically just celebrating himself haha.

I mean he definitely cares about his people and I always will appreciate his support for Obama - but after being a rap artist the next thing I would consider him wouldn't be an advocate or a activist, but more of a businessman (or to be more precise... "a business, man".)

I love Beyonce because she just does her. I will say that her natural hair is amazingly beautiful. She keeps it braided up and I don't blame her. The wig is the way to go when you need to switch it up that often. For example, Cardi B, is always wearing a wig, but people don't give her as much hair conversation and side eye/ shade as they do Bey which is a conversation in itself. Bey is all in on social activism and justice but I think she and Jay fight the fight via art. They buy A LOT of black art.

As for the NFL ties. It was odd but I also understand that you can't expect a company that's full of morons to do the right thing. Jay has the ability to make a good show. Jlo and Shakira were phenomenal and added a layer of culture the NFL has never seen. PLUS it made a lot of conservative women uncomfortable, which means you are moving in the right direction. Progress. RiRi will never perform but there are so many artist hat need that platform to expand their careers.

I love Beyonce because she just does her. I will say that her natural hair is amazingly beautiful. She keeps it braided up and I don't blame her. The wig is the way to go when you need to switch it up that often. For example, Cardi B, is always wearing a wig, but people don't give her as much hair conversation and side eye/ shade as they do Bey which is a conversation in itself. Bey is all in on social activism and justice but I think she and Jay fight the fight via art. They buy A LOT of black art.

As for the NFL ties. It was odd but I also understand that you can't expect a company that's full of morons to do the right thing. Jay has the ability to make a good show. Jlo and Shakira were phenomenal and added a layer of culture the NFL has never seen. PLUS it made a lot of conservative women uncomfortable, which means you are moving in the right direction. Progress. RiRi will never perform but there are so many artist hat need that platform to expand their careers.

I completely understand. Beyonce is certainly not the only Black/POC artist that I think of as problematic (for me). I mention her because of the Black is King piece and its Disney connection.

My issue with Jay-Z was his statement about how we are past kneeling (paraphrased). I understand wanting to do cooperative work but it felt condescending to me, like he, with his money and access, could decide for all of us how to express our anger and frustrations with fighting and protesting police brutality.

Jlo and Shakira were phenomenal and added a layer of culture the NFL has never seen. PLUS it made a lot of conservative women uncomfortable, which means you are moving in the right direction.
YES! I'm from SoFla and I thought their performance was so much fun. It brought a great energy, unlike Maroon 5 or Justin Timberlake (totally forgettable and boring performances). And we all know that Coldplay was just an opener for Beyonce and Bruno Mars, right? :P

YES! I'm from SoFla and I thought their performance was so much fun. It brought a great energy, unlike Maroon 5 or Justin Timberlake (totally forgettable and boring performances). And we all know that Coldplay was just an opener for Beyonce and Bruno Mars, right? :P

I a "2020 has felt so long" post and it pointed out that the JLo/Shakira controversy was still THIS YEAR - it feels like it was forever ago and so much has happened since then

Hah hah exactly.

I completely understand. Beyonce is certainly not the only Black/POC artist that I think of as problematic (for me). I mention her because of the Black is King piece and its Disney connection.

My issue with Jay-Z was his statement about how we are past kneeling (paraphrased). I understand wanting to do cooperative work but it felt condescending to me, like he, with his money and access, could decide for all of us how to express our anger and frustrations with fighting and protesting police brutality.
Yes, I heard that too. I think this year has proved him right. This current movement isn't kneeling, it's out and in your face. It's about infiltrating and breaking down the system. I think he just poorly said, its time for action.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter