D.O.C.'s = Dis'ers of Color (Disney Fans of Color)

Would you like a dedicated/featured Forum for D.O.C.'s Dis'ers Of Color & Allies

• Total voters

We have reservations 9/29-10/3 at Contemporary garden wing. It is a major splurge for us. We typically stay offsite. But I specifically wanted the Contemporary so that we could walk to and from Magic Kingdom on the anniversary and not have to deal with any transportation. We will most likely extend the trip after 10/3 and move offsite for the remainder.

Now I'm just hoping some sort of discount comes out because rack rate at the Contemporary is nuts. I'll pay it if I need to but I'm hoping a better deal comes along. One night costs as much as we typically pay for a week offsite.

Gilbert, were you there for the 25th? We were. I even still have the t-shirt to prove it.
I was there at the Magic Kingdom for the Strawberry Shortcake aka 25th Anniversary.
I purchased the commemorative t-shirt that cam packaged in a box. I never wore the shirt.
My plan is to wear the shirt into the park on Oct 1, 2021.

DVC and Off-Site at a Disney Good Neighbor Hotel.

I was confused by the other poster thinking they had reopened WDW resort bookings for the entirety of 2021. Looks like that was a misunderstanding, though, and they’re still only taking new bookings at those through 9/26/21.

I imagine DVC will still open for new bookings 11 months out - I think legally they have to? Though I am not DVC and won’t even pretend to know all the ins and outs of it, lol. We rented a night at DVC for our December trip and I definitely won’t take that gamble again! Thanks, 2020 😂

Hi @JacknSally
You are correct, at this time the Disney Travel company reservation system which is available only to authorized Travel Agents, (as of 12:47 AM July 6, 2020) does not show availability for Oct 1, 2021. I checked just prior to responding to your post. (As an Authorized Disney Agent/non-Disney employee.)
The DVC reservation system is separate and we may have updates on booking DVC for Oct 1, 2021, hopefully by Aug/Sept ( As a Member of the Disney Vacation Club program.)
My understanding is legally the Disney Vacation Club has to provide access to the points/reservation system to us as dues-paying members. I am going to pop into the Park Planning Forum Monday afternoon to see if I can gather additional info from other Dis'ers.
One more additional note. Off property, hotels do not have the same blackout policies, resulting in a number of hotels already reaching near capacity for Oct 1, 2020.
Here is my tip that I am providing to my clients if they request an off-site resort, I am advising they select an official "Disney Good neighbor Hotel" such as those properties in the Disney Springs Resort area. Dreams unlimited Agents can provide additional info and access.
My favorite Dreams Agents
Teresa Echols techols@dreamsunlimitedtravel.com
and
Kathy Werling kathyw@dreamsunlimitedtravel.com

Please be sure to mention Gilbert (AKIL Ranger ) referred you.
As always, Peace and Love.
:wizard:

Last edited:
Hi @JacknSally
You are correct, at this time the Disney Travel company reservation available to authorized Travel Agents, (as of 12:47 AM July 6, 2020) does not show availability for Oct 1, 2021. I checked just prior to responding to your post. (As an Authorized Disney Agent/non-Disney employee.)
The DVC reservation system is separate and we may have updates on booking DVC for Oct 1, 2021, hopefully by Aug/Sept ( As a Member of the Disney Vacation Club program.)
My understanding is legally the Disney Vacation Club has to provide access to the points/reservation system to us as dues-paying members. I am going to pop into the Park Planning Forum Monday afternoon to see if I can gather additional info from other Dis'ers.
One more additional note. Off property, hotels do not have the same blackout policies, resulting in a number of hotels already reaching near capacity for Oct 1, 2020.
Here is my tip that I am providing to my clients if they request an off-site resort, I am advising they select an official "Disney Good neighbor Hotel" such as those properties in the Disney Springs Resort area. Dreams unlimited Agents can provide additional info and access.
My favorite Dreams Agents
Teresa Echols techols@dreamsunlimitedtravel.com
and
Kathy Werling kathyw@dreamsunlimitedtravel.com

Please be sure to mention Gilbert (AKIL Ranger ) referred you.

As always, Peace and Love.
:wizard:

Oh, yes, I know! My earlier post was just trying to clear up confusion from someone else’s post about how far into 2021 is bookable through Disney right now. I think we’re on the same page! ☺

I’m not currently planning to go during the 50th myself, but you’ve given good tips for anyone who is! I appreciate it!

DVC usually opens up for bookings 11 months out for members booking at their home resorts and 7 months out for booking at other resorts. I don’t know if legally they’d be able to change that, even during COVID? I don’t know if it’s laid out specifically in those contracts or not. I would imagine it is, though. I am not a lawyer nor do l pretend to play one on the internet, lol. I’m sure Disney has a bit of a mess on their hands right now with the DVC contracts during the closure. I know there have been some point extensions granted. I don’t pay close attention to all the DVC goings-on since I’m not a member and don’t usually stay at those resorts lol.

Are you a Dreams agent, @AKL Ranger? We’re booked with Dreams for the first time for our December trip. Our agent isn’t Teresa or Kathy, though - I wish! I love them on the Tuesday show.

Last edited:
I think that a forum dedicated to the experiences of BIPOC Disney fans is 100% necessary! I love that there's a space for the LGBTQ+ community and allies and would love for there to be on for BIPOC and allies. You have my FULL support.

Some thoughts I had while reading this thread.

1. Hamilton! I love it and am stoked to see it on Disney+. I was lucky to see it live in 2017 and it lived up to all expectations. There is a fascinating interview with some of the cast, Daveed Diggs and Christopher Jackson come to mind, about portraying people who were slaveowners and grappling with that reality. If I can find it I'll share it here.

2. I love the idea of more South American, Australian/New Zealand, and African representation at Epcot. I do love that Asia and Africa have essentially an entire park dedicated to them! I also think that I would be important to include the Maori, Polynesian, Hawaiian, etc. histories as well. Also the indigenous populations of Australia! They can't be erased.

3. Regarding monuments/statues etc. of confederate soldiers: you do not need these to stand in order to acknowledge and learn about the history of this country. When Nazi Germany they tore down all the Nazi statues and monuments. They haven't forgotten history and they don't celebrate it.

Looking forward to continuing the conversation and hoping that we see a D.O.C. board! :)

Happy Monday my fellow Diser's,
I went back and re-read some earlier posts in this thread. I have to say I am so humbled by the support, but more importantly how many of you are actually hearing from your Brothers & Sisters of Color.
I wanted to say thank you to @xjillianpaige for her wonderful post. :love:
I need to hear from you all what additional content would be of interest to you?

Did you find the article about the 100th anniversary of the Negro Baseball league interesting, if only for the photo of Baseball legend Willie Mays with Mickey Mouse? :earsboy:

I am trying to post articles and messages that feature some link back to the Walt Disney Company, Disney theme parks, and Disney characters. While presenting the unique view or connection for People of Color and our Allies of all colors.

Please share your ideas, if there are other forums that contain posts/ topics you think are not presenting a diverse & inclusive point of view we can explore it. But remember we are not here to incite or fan the flames by calling out individual Dis Board members who are expressing negative or even hate speech. Let the Forum moderators deal with them. We do not have official Forum status, and all it takes is a Moderator to shut this topic down.

Finally, if you all are willing to send emails to Dis board Admins and add your voice to why you think this topic thread is worthy and needs to be granted Forum status, that will go a long way.
During the July 4th holiday weekend, I have been working on a few ideas for categories once we have Forum status.

The Book Club - Books that would be of interest (​
These do not have to be limited to [Black, Latino, Hispanic, Native American Indians, First Nation Indians, Asian, and Pacific Island/Asian] Authors, characters, or themes.​
The Movie Channel -​
TV Guide-​
Does anyone think we should combine Books/Movies and TV into one sub-topic/forum? I am open to that idea as it will consolidate conversations.​
Jiko - "The Cooking place" - If you enjoy discussing food around the Disney World and beyond, then this is the perfect topic.​
Wakanda Forever -​
Just checking if I bored you all and lost anybody. :earboy2:

Family Reunion - Although we have an amazing general trip planning forum here on the Dis, our "Family Reunion" topic we can discuss issues unique to families of color.​
I will share a touching/heartbreaking story relayed to me by a former Cast Member as to why this might be a helpful topic for all families, regardless of color.​
Two families visiting Bibidi BooTeque ( I know) A young Black girl was trying to decide between her two favorite Princess; Snow or Cindy. Meanwhile, an unpleasant man (White ) with his family allegedly said: "they got their own Black Princess girl, why don't they just make her wear that." Meanwhile, the White little girl said she wanted the "GREEN" one ( referring to the Green colored Princess Dress) her White Dad said sure, "Whatever you want."​
I would have enjoyed listening to a Podcast of the White family's return trip home with their very own Princess Tianna.​

Ok, Brothers & Sisters, July 4th weekend is over. Monday is fast approaching.
Have a safe week,
Wash hands - check
Wear Masks - check
adjust Mouse ears - check

Peace & Love, and Light.

:rainbow:

Last edited:
Happy Monday my fellow Diser's,
I went back and re-read some earlier posts in this thread. I have to say I am so humbled by the support, but more importantly how many of you are actually hearing from your Brothers & Sisters of Color.
I wanted to say thank you to @xjillianpaige for her wonderful post. :love:
I need to hear from you all what additional content would be of interest to you?

Family Reunion - Although we have an amazing general trip planning forum here on the Dis, our "Family Reunion" topic we can discuss issues unique to families of color.​
I will share a touching/heartbreaking story relayed to me by a former Cast Member as to why this might be a helpful topic for all families, regardless of color.​
Two families visiting Bibidi BooTeque ( I know) A young Black girl was trying to decide between her two favorite Princess; Snow or Cindy. Meanwhile, an unpleasant man (White ) with his family allegedly said: "they got their own Black Princess girl, why don't they just make her wear that." Meanwhile, the White little girl said she wanted the "GREEN" one ( referring to the Green colored Princess Dress) her White Dad said sure, "Whatever you want."
I would have enjoyed listening to a Podcast of the White family's return trip home with their very own Princess Tianna.​

Ok, Brothers & Sisters, July 4th weekend is over. Monday is fast approaching.
Have a safe week,
Wash hands - check
Wear Masks - check
adjust Mouse ears - check

Peace & Love, and Light.

:rainbow:

I would love if we could explore more about Walt. There are so many misconceptions out there about him being racist, sexist and anti-Semitic, etc. I know there's an episode of Connecting with Walt where they touch on it, but I would love to know why those rumors started and it what ways there may be some truth if any and then how Walt broke the mold. I know a more recent episode Michael talked about how Walt put a woman (her name is escaping me at the moment) in charge of a department and that it was unheard of at the time.

Speaking on the story you shared about the green princess dress. A month or so ago I saw a thread of either tweets or Facebook posts that a "Friend of Tianna" had shared with different stories or comments Tianna had heard and oh lord was it appalling!!! I think the one that got me the most was a little girl came in after being made over into a princess at BBB and was so excited to see Princess Tianna and saying that she wanted to wear her dress, but her mom wouldn't let her. I can't remember what exactly was said and I wish I could find the post again because basically this mom was teaching her daughter hate, but this sweet little girl was not having it. I felt so horrible for Princess Tianna and for that little girl.

I was confused by the other poster thinking they had reopened WDW resort bookings for the entirety of 2021. Looks like that was a misunderstanding, though, and they’re still only taking new bookings at those through 9/26/21.
Sorry for any confusion. I didn't realize it wasn't all of 2021.

I hope those who want to book for the 50th get to do so soon. I'm glad we got our reservation in before they froze things.

I would love if we could explore more about Walt. There are so many misconceptions out there about him being racist, sexist and anti-Semitic, etc. I know there's an episode of Connecting with Walt where they touch on it, but I would love to know why those rumors started and it what ways there may be some truth if any and then how Walt broke the mold. I know a more recent episode Michael talked about how Walt put a woman (her name is escaping me at the moment) in charge of a department and that it was unheard of at the time.

Speaking on the story you shared about the green princess dress. A month or so ago I saw a thread of either tweets or Facebook posts that a "Friend of Tianna" had shared with different stories or comments Tianna had heard and oh lord was it appalling!!! I think the one that got me the most was a little girl came in after being made over into a princess at BBB and was so excited to see Princess Tianna and saying that she wanted to wear her dress, but her mom wouldn't let her. I can't remember what exactly was said and I wish I could find the post again because basically this mom was teaching her daughter hate, but this sweet little girl was not having it. I felt so horrible for Princess Tianna and for that little girl.
Hi @Lindsey17 ,
Thanks for sharing. I think your suggestion about an exposé about Walt Disney’s views is interesting. Although I am no expert on Mr. Disney, I do think we should ask Michael Bowling if he would be interested in contributing a few posts to our thread. It might be a touchy subject, and it might not go over well unless Michael is a BLM ally? I will try dig something up and explore further.
Now the Idea of exploring “Friends of Tianna”, really caught my eye. @Lindsey17 Would you like to explore sources for a series “Friends of “ Stories/posts? I think this might be a worth while read.

Peace & Love,

Hi @Lindsey17 ,
Thanks for sharing. I think your suggestion about an exposé about Walt Disney’s views is interesting. Although I am no expert on Mr. Disney, I do think we should ask Michael Bowling if he would be interested in contributing a few posts to our thread. It might be a touchy subject, and it might not go over well unless Michael is a BLM ally? I will try dig something up and explore further.
Now the Idea of exploring “Friends of Tianna”, really caught my eye. @Lindsey17 Would you like to explore sources for a series “Friends of “ Stories/posts? I think this might be a worth while read.

Peace & Love,

I'll see what I can dig up. I know there is a FB for CM's, but I don't think you can join if you aren't or haven't been one. I'll see if I can find those posts again because it really is eye opening. I also think it would be great to get Michael's input even if not on this thread an episode of Connecting with Walt on some of these matters would be great. Since Disneyland opened in the 50's, was it segregated? From the short research I did, it appears it wasn't, but that was just a quick google search and who knows how credible the sources are.

I'll see what I can dig up. I know there is a FB for CM's, but I don't think you can join if you aren't or haven't been one. I'll see if I can find those posts again because it really is eye opening. I also think it would be great to get Michael's input even if not on this thread an episode of Connecting with Walt on some of these matters would be great. Since Disneyland opened in the 50's, was it segregated? From the short research I did, it appears it wasn't, but that was just a quick google search and who knows how credible the sources are.
If anyone can answer the question of what Disneyland was like in the 1950/60’s, Michael Bowling would know.

I don't know if this was the exact story you saw, but I saw this "overheard by friends of Tiana" post on Twitter a few weeks ago that included an anecdote about a little girl whose mom wouldn't let her wear a Tiana dress. :sad1:

Last edited:
I would love to know more about how diverse and inclusive Disneyland and Disney World were in the 60's and 70's. And I would love to hear from recent/current cast members who are people of color about their experiences working for Disney World today. I hope you get official Forum status - this is an important ongoing conversation. And thank you for welcoming white allies to the space. Also, anything about Black Panther is always good!

#LoveWins
I am being careful not to tread “politics” here as that is not allowed along with religion, since this is a News item and ABC News is owned by The Walt Disney Company, I am posting not for commentary or discussion, reporting “just facts Ma’am”.
NASCAR Racer Bubba Williams response to to being jeered to “apologize “ about the changes NASCAR made regarding the confederate flag and the noose investigation.
#LoveWins when your Allies have the courage to step up and speak truth to power.

I guess now I can start enjoying NSCAR. :car:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!