• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

D23 Mary Poppins event - A Review...

MyMuse

From here...to there!
Is anyone else going to the Mary Poppins D23 event in NYC on Wednesday? :goodvibes

June 24 D23’s Supercalifragilistic Night on Broadway
(New York, NY) -- Disney’s award-winning musical Mary Poppins recently celebrated its 1,000th performance on Broadway and on June 24, 2009, D23 Members are being offered the opportunity to meet one another and share in the magic with premium seats, merchandise discounts and an opportunity to stay after the show for a special “behind-the-scenes” experience at the historic New Amsterdam Theatre in New York City. D23 Members also will receive the recently released 2-Disc Mary Poppins 45th Anniversary Special Edition DVD, courtesy of our friends at Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment.

there's also one going on in Chicago that night. and one for lion king in vegas on the 27th. all are sold out.

Yes, the D23 page has been updated to say most of the events are sold out.

I don't know how many tickets they had, but sold out is good. I kinda felt I was going to be the only one there! :rotfl:

Hmm, though I wonder how long it will take for the behind the scenes after the show? If the show ends around 10:30pm and we do the behind the scenes thing, I'm hoping I can meet my bus back home! I think the latest one is midnight, so I should be good? :scared:

Despite that, I'm still excited to do! :woohoo:

Thought you would like a review of the night's festivities....

There were people there from Rhode Island and California!

My seat was in center orchestra, 6th row. What a different experience to watch the show. If you recall, I also went for J's birthday in April and saw the show from front mezzanine, 5th row.

WOW!

I'll backtrack a bit - the bus ride went fine and dandy. It was even less expensive than I thought! :laughing: I got there a bit earlier than I expected, so I took a few minutes to take pics of the local scenery. I didn't go all the way down to the new pedestrian mall though. I have to do that next time. Gotta love NYC! :goodvibes
I also stopped in to Europa Cafe to grab a sandwhich, coffee and a rice krispie treat for later on the way home.

I finished and picked up my ticket at Will Call and asked about the DVD. The window guy didn't seem to know what is going on, but told me to go inside. I asked the ticket taker and she didn't know. I asked at the merchandise counter and he said there was a guy with a tag that said D23 and look for it, that he was wondering around. I also took to wondering about just a bit to see this beautiful theater and took a few pics. It's just gorgeous!! :lovestruc

I got to my seat and meet a few fellow D23ers. A family from Rhode Island who's son requested this as his graduation present. Cool! I took a pic of them and they took a pic of me in front of the "Cherry Tree Lane" backdrop.

A few minutes later, I spotted the guy with the D23 tag and introduced myself. I completely forget his name :scared:, but he was really nice. There was also a woman counterpart; just as nice. He explained that to wait a few minutes after the show and then we'll start the tour and there was a surprise! We will also receive the DVD after the show. I also found out that I could have bought 4 tickets. :guilty:

The show was great and now seeing it from 2 different locations, I can really appreciate how the performers get it right. I know I was be-bopping in my seat for a few numbers. :music: After the show, we stay in our seats for a few minutes. The show wraps up quite quickly this time around; I guess they don't mess around with the 8pm shows (the previous time was a 2pm Sunday show).

Our group of perhaps 25 people or so, were led into the backstage area and got to meet Mary & Bert! I didn't get to shake hands since they were lining us up for a group picture quite quickly. We take the group picture and I said "D23!" as the picture was taken and it got a bit of a laugh. The D23 CM said "you should have my job!". :lmao:

Some other D23ers had their cameras out and the D23 CMs took shots with the personal cameras. So, we should have quite a few. I have no idea how we'll get the group picture from the D23 people themselves or the other people. I don't think anyone was on the DIS. :confused3 I guess the D23 CMs will post it on the D23 page or email us individually since they know who we are.

I did exchange cards with the friendly family next to me, who were able to get their camera in for one of the group shots. I wasn't fast enough and i was crouching down and in slight pain by then. LOL!! They had a professional camera since they are professional photogs. I was standing behind and to the left of Mary. :upsidedow

Then we were able to get our Playbill signed by both players - Shelley and Andy. They had their own sharpies, thank goodness. I was able to tell them that I saw the play in April and, of course, had to mention meeting Mary P at WDW and the Supercali Breakfast. :goodvibes

After that, we got a talk from one of the stage managers and how the stage worked and some of the magic but he kept some to himself. :wizard: It was really a nice talk and it lasted for quite a few minutes. I took some video and a bunch of more pictures from the stage.

We also got to see one of the wings where props were kept and some of the silly cast/crew stuff like a voo-doo Mary doll with pins in her as a joke from Halloween.

We got led out by the cast entrance (with DVDs in hand) and the people there waiting thought we were part of the cast. :laughing: It was really cute.

I looked at my cell and it said 11:03pm as I was walking away from the theater. I met my 11:20pm bus home (though it left at 11:30pm).

It was a fantastic time :cloud9: and I met a few nice people. The D23 CMs were very nice. I'm glad iIwas able to attend the first D23 event in NYC.

I'll have my photos and videos up when I go home tonight.

MyMuse! I believe the folks were exchanged cards were I and my parents. Were the family from Rhode Island. Well I'v gotta say the show alone was worth the trip. But Oh my god what an incredible night!

Here are some photos of the night
DSC_0182.jpg
DSC_0193.jpg
DSC_0205.jpg
DSC_0209.jpg
DSC_0210.jpg
DSC_0211.jpg
DSC_0212.jpg
DSC_0217.jpg
DSC_0222.jpg
DSC_0226.jpg

DSC_0259.jpg

MyMuse! I believe the folks were exchanged cards were I and my parents. Were the family from Rhode Island. Well I'v gotta say the show alone was worth the trip. But Oh my god what an incredible night!

You are on the DIS! :yay:

Oh, thank you for the photos! I just emailed this morning. :goodvibes

Yes, the whole night was great; couldn't really ask for more. It is a wonderful way to celebrate a graduation. I'm hope you had a good trip all the way around and a nice ride back home.

I'll have my pics up soon. I'm lagging behind. :rolleyes:

Thanks again!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter