Dancing with Sharks. Or Not. Nuts? Probably.

cj9200

DIS Dad #412
This is a very off topic TR that covers my recent trip to Roatan. For those like me that could never find out Where in the World is Carmen Sandiago, Roatan is located in the Caribbean off the coast of Honduras. The focus of the trip was to 1) Scuba dive, 2) Enjoy a few adult beverages and 3) Laugh a lot. Not necessary in that order.

The impetus of the trip started when a used to be friend (more on that later) started talking to a very good friend about visiting Roatan. The good friend told him to organize a trip and he would go. A few others joined in and I was talked into it.

So we were going to spend a week at a “luxury” resort that was all inclusive. Funny thing happened on the way to the resort, the deposit never got paid. There was no room at that Inn so instead the TA moved us to another resort. I took it in stride.

So who is going? The cast includes:

Me - 50+ single dad to a now 18 YO daughter. She goes off to college in a few months. As I said many times during the trip, life for me does not suck. A year ago it did. For those who do not know, I was hospitalized last year for 6 weeks and many around me thought I was going to check out. It was a tough road back but I feel much better. Still not 100% and may never get there but am much better.

Steve - AKA The Brit. Older than me by a few years. We met six years ago while diving. He has become one of my closest friends. A great guy that has the same juvenile sense of humor that I do. Lives in the UK, works in Germany and often travels to the US on business. An example on how good a friend he is, he made a special trip to Miami from Europe to take me to Key Largo soon after I got out of the hospital. Can’t tell you what that trip meant to me.

R & M - Brothers that live in Connecticut and Long Island respectively. Never met them before but liked them both. M is a little reserved but could come up with funny comebacks when needed. R is an IT guy who is inquisitive on how things work. Interesting perspective.

AM & AF - Married for a number of years. Both retired at a youngish age and are really enjoying life. Also never met them before. Only started diving two years ago but have traveled around the world enjoying their new hobby. Their next trip after this is to Fiji. I only wish. AM celebrated his 60th birthday on the trip. Absolutely adored AF. Since she will not reading this I can say she is an amazing 64 year old (or young).

W - The next guys girlfriend. Cackles uncontrollably most of the time. Has a ball in this game called life. The next guy doesn’t deserve her.

Which brings me to the last of our party, THE MOOCHER. Used to be a diving friend but he has worn on my nerves. Took a photography course with him and paid him to serve as our guide when DD first started going underwater. He started as a friend but in addition to paying him to guide us, he expected free beers, meals and a limo service when I was down there. That and the drama. Loves to be the focus of the universe and is quick to be miffed. Moved to S. Dakota and Steve and I are glad. Our trips to Key Largo became more enjoyable and considerably less expensive. This will be the last trip with the Mooch.

So Steve has to travel to Atlanta for business and decided to get a room there for a couple of days before the flight to Roatan. Last year he got stranded there after the city got a dusting of snow. Rightly decided to come in early in case of bad weather in either Chicago (his debarkation city) or ATL. I decided to join him.

Flew from Miami on Thursday morning and the flight was pleasant. The plane was nearly empty and I had an emergency row to myself. Arrived in Atlanta and made my way to the Spring Hill Suites. The hotel is one of two located at the airport and was a short tram ride from the airport proper. Room was ready so I headed up to the room and dumped my stuff. YES!

Medical side note. I have plantar fasciitis which is a condition that affects the major ligament in the feet. Walking long distances creates a painful tightening in the calfs. Stretching helps but I was not ready for all the walking I needed to do. By the end of the trip they were sufficiently stretched and worked at it so it became much better to walk. Fatigue is still a factor with me but am working on it.

OK, back to the real thing. I relaxed in the room waiting for Steve to arrive. The room itself is very nice. As a suite, you get the two Queen (I think) beds, a couch seating area and a desk for working.

The tram to the rental lot and the hotel. Atlanta has a great airport. Unlike the dump that is MIA
IMG_3187.jpg

The room
IMG_3188.jpg

IMG_3189.jpg

IMG_3190.jpg

IMG_3191.jpg

The view wasn’t so good
IMG_3194.jpg

So that was our room for two nights. Up next: The evening and getting pi**ed. Not the American meaning (POed) but the British one. In other words waking up with a hangover.

Steve arrives and drops his stuff at the room. What to do now. EAT. The drawback of staying here is the lack of dining options. We could take the train back to the airport or eat at the Hilton across the street. They had a Champs sports bar. We end up there.

Typical bar food but pretty good. They have a great she-crab soup and the cheddar cheese fries were excellent. This was our home base for the next two days. Late lunch and early dinner. Of course cocktails were involved. Many cocktails. Waddle back to the room to check our diving gear and chill a bit. Back to Champs for a late night snack and some more cocktails. We would have been OK if we stopped there but our hotel opened up their bar for the night. He dragged me over there over my protestations. The bartender’s philosophy was “make em happy” and gave a heavy pour. After two of these, I was seeing double and decided to pass out in the room.

Hit the bed and was out.

Woke up the next morning with the 7 dwarves opening up a mine into my head. The hotel had a breakfast buffet so we went down there to try to rehydrate. Three orange juices and a hot tea later my tongue wasn’t so fuzzy. The buffet had scrambled eggs, sausage, cereal, oatmeal, danish and waffles. Opted for the eggs and sausage. The sausage tasted a little funny but I chalked it up to a fuzzy tongue. More on that later.

Feeling better but still not quite right decided to head to the pool. There is a small indoor pool at the resort so Steve decided to take a dip. I put a toe in the water and even though it was indoors, it was cold. He is a Brit and like all you Northerners doesn’t know any better.

IMG_3195.jpg

IMG_3196.jpg

IMG_3198.jpg

The afternoon, the Mooch and his GF were to arrive from the Midwest. In anticipation of their arrival, we went back to Champs for Bloody Mary's. Man those were good drinks. Got a call from the Mooch and since he was flying standby, W made the plane but he didn’t. Steve went to meet her at the gate and bring her back to the restaurant.

She arrived and the first thing I noticed is that the girl loved to laugh. More like an ear splitting cackle and she had no chance with the two of us goofing around. Instantly liked her. We had another late lunch early dinner. A couple of drinks and a couple glasses of wine for W later, we were feeling much better.

Made sure W got checked into her room and we went back to ours. Mooch missed the second plane out. He had one more chance or he was not going to make the trip. He did make it and at about 10:00 Steve went back to the airport to direct him to the hotel. I wasn’t going. A grown man can’t get from the airport to the hotel without someone holding his hand. Luckily Steve went to meet him because his bag arrived on an earlier flight. He would still be there if Steve did not come to his aid.

Meanwhile back in the room, my stomach wasn’t doing to well. It was not alcohol induced because I took it easy. All of a sudden I ran to the bathroom and rode the porcelain bus. Then it continued to my lower intestinal tract. So the night before we were going to a country with high dysentery rates, I contracted Motezuma’s revenge before I even left. Oh goody.

After a Sleepless in Atlanta night we woke to departure day. Met the Mooch and W for breakfast (I passed) and headed to the airport. I was not a happy camper at this point. My calfs are killing me because of all the walking and I was on constant alert to bathroom locations. Made it to International check-in for our Delta flight. No problems there and we were soon at the gate.

Where we eagerly awaited for departure. Well, that and trips to the Facilities.

The Mooch, W and Steve at the gate. W was giggling with anticipation. Very infectious even in my condition.
IMG_3199.jpg

And the gang with the Monty’s revenge guy
IMG_3200.jpg

Paradise here we come
IMG_3201.jpg

Up next: The flight down and Roatan proper

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter