DAS at Disneyland

KK505

Earning My Ears
Hi there. I will be taking my kiddos to DLR in a few weeks and am planning to try to get DAS for my DS. I’m wondering how it works at Disneyland because the only info I’ve been able to find has been related to WDW. Is the DAS system at DLR/DCA still paper based or is it linked to a phone like Maxpass? My understanding is we’d have to find an information kiosk around the resort each time we want to select a ride that doesn’t offer FPs. Any insights into the ins and outs of how DAS works would be much appreciated!!!

https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...-1-update-12-7-14-das-tied-to-ticket.3179460/

I dont have info regarding Disneyland, but this thread might be helpful. It is one of the threads that the mods have kept updated as things have changed. I think they update one of the top posts with the current info so you wont have to read the whole thread.
Thanks!! I did read that but it hasn’t been updated since 2015 so the new Maxpass system and electronic tickets/Disneyland app don’t seem to be addressed...I’m mostly wondering if it’s electronic and accessible on the app like Maxpass or if it’s an entirely different system than Maxpass.

I use the DAS system at Disneyland Resort regularly. The system is digital in that you do not receive a paper to write down return times. They scan the DAS holder's ticket to get a return time for the party at the kiosks still though. If you have maxpass, I believe I remember our return time showing up in the app. You cannot book a DAS return time on the app through maxpass though.

For rides with a FP line that you're using the DAS, it works just like WDW. The only difference is instead of scanning a magic band, you're scanning your physical ticket or your ticket on your phone on the app. The person who has the DAS has to be the first in the party to go through too. Otherwise it is just going to the exit where they'll use a device to scan the DAS holder's ticket to use the DAS return time.

I use the DAS system at Disneyland Resort regularly. The system is digital in that you do not receive a paper to write down return times. They scan the DAS holder's ticket to get a return time for the party at the kiosks still though. If you have maxpass, I believe I remember our return time showing up in the app. You cannot book a DAS return time on the app through maxpass though.

For rides with a FP line that you're using the DAS, it works just like WDW. The only difference is instead of scanning a magic band, you're scanning your physical ticket or your ticket on your phone on the app. The person who has the DAS has to be the first in the party to go through too. Otherwise it is just going to the exit where they'll use a device to scan the DAS holder's ticket to use the DAS return time.
Thank you!... that really clarifies how DAS works for me :)

@LadyD - thank you for sharing your experience and how the DAS works with MaxPass. We don't get many reports here about DL so it's hard to keep up-to-date. It's always helpful to hear how things are being handled in the California parks because there are differences from WDW.
:thanks:

@LadyD - thank you for sharing your experience and how the DAS works with MaxPass. We don't get many reports here about DL so it's hard to keep up-to-date. It's always helpful to hear how things are being handled in the California parks because there are differences from WDW.
:thanks:

Happy to report my experiences! I should also note that maxpass is still a hot mess. During peak times (aka most days), the DLR wifi to use maxpass is still unreliable and the cell networks are still jammed with traffic, so the app is difficult to access and tends to be sluggish. I find it extremely frustrating, but I also have about zero tolerance for technology that fails to work in the way it was intended.

Happy to report my experiences! I should also note that maxpass is still a hot mess. During peak times (aka most days), the DLR wifi to use maxpass is still unreliable and the cell networks are still jammed with traffic, so the app is difficult to access and tends to be sluggish. I find it extremely frustrating, but I also have about zero tolerance for technology that fails to work in the way it was intended.
Thanks.
I had not done a lot of updating on that thread because
#1 I hadn’t had time and
# 2 I was waiting for the max pass to settle down

I find that very interesting, since I find the app works just fine, even on the busiest of days in the parks. Granted on the busier days I can't really do anything else with the phone, but the app works. WiFi on the other hand, forget it, even with the app.

Thanks.
I had not done a lot of updating on that thread because
#1 I hadn’t had time and
# 2 I was waiting for the max pass to settle down
There really haven't been a lot of changes with MaxPass, here are the basics:
  • Enter one of the parks
  • Scan everyone's ticket into your app
  • Select Get a FP and find your attraction, in either park if you have park hopping
  • Select who is going to go on it
  • About 60% of the time, by the time you have walked to the attraction, it is time to get on the ride. Many times the FP return is within 10 minutes and there is a grace period of 5 minutes before, so you can enter 5 minutes before your FP start time and up to 15 minutes after the end time.
  • As soon as you scan your ticket at the FIRST scan point, you can reserve a FP for another attraction
    • NOTE: If your return time is more than an hour and half away, you can reserve your next FP at about an hour and half after reserving your FP, but always check, as this wait can be shorter.
  • You can also get a DAS return time in addition to a FP time (no matter how you get your FP), combining this with MaxPass can dramatically reduce walking back and forth to the kiosks and for me that was worth the extra money for the year, but some will enjoy that and some won't.
  • MaxPass also gives you digital downloads all photopass and ride photos taken that day.

I find that very interesting, since I find the app works just fine, even on the busiest of days in the parks. Granted on the busier days I can't really do anything else with the phone, but the app works. WiFi on the other hand, forget it, even with the app.

There really haven't been a lot of changes with MaxPass, here are the basics:
  • Enter one of the parks
  • Scan everyone's ticket into your app
  • Select Get a FP and find your attraction, in either park if you have park hopping
  • Select who is going to go on it
  • About 60% of the time, by the time you have walked to the attraction, it is time to get on the ride. Many times the FP return is within 10 minutes and there is a grace period of 5 minutes before, so you can enter 5 minutes before your FP start time and up to 15 minutes after the end time.
  • As soon as you scan your ticket at the FIRST scan point, you can reserve a FP for another attraction
    • NOTE: If your return time is more than an hour and half away, you can reserve your next FP at about an hour and half after reserving your FP, but always check, as this wait can be shorter.
  • You can also get a DAS return time in addition to a FP time (no matter how you get your FP), combining this with MaxPass can dramatically reduce walking back and forth to the kiosks and for me that was worth the extra money for the year, but some will enjoy that and some won't.
  • MaxPass also gives you digital downloads all photopass and ride photos taken that day.

Interesting. I regularly find that the app's response is not instantaneous in the parks and you're waiting for it to chug along to the next screen, if it will even get there. Odd. I wish it responded better for me.

Interesting. I regularly find that the app's response is not instantaneous in the parks and you're waiting for it to chug along to the next screen, if it will even get there. Odd. I wish it responded better for me.
It isn't instant, but it doesn't take more than 10 seconds to load available FP times for me. Granted I have a Galaxy Note 8, so it may be a matter of needing a higher end phone, I don't know.

It isn't instant, but it doesn't take more than 10 seconds to load available FP times for me. Granted I have a Galaxy Note 8, so it may be a matter of needing a higher end phone, I don't know.

Yeah I use an iPhone 7, so not sure how much high end phones matter. 10 seconds definitely does fall below what I will tolerate and find acceptable though, and I would say the response time (if it will respond) is usually at least that long. My friends with the same model phones across different networks experience the same issues as me when in the parks. Very intriguing.

Yeah I use an iPhone 7, so not sure how much high end phones matter. 10 seconds definitely does fall below what I will tolerate and find acceptable though, and I would say the response time (if it will respond) is usually at least that long. My friends with the same model phones across different networks experience the same issues as me when in the parks. Very intriguing.
Hmm, I wonder if maybe the iPhone app isn't as responsive as the Android app? That would be very unusual, usually iPhone apps are fairly responsive, but not sure what else the difference could be. I have AT&T through work and my wife has T-Mobile, we both have Note 8s and both work quite well, even on the busiest of days.

Hmm, I wonder if maybe the iPhone app isn't as responsive as the Android app? That would be very unusual, usually iPhone apps are fairly responsive, but not sure what else the difference could be. I have AT&T through work and my wife has T-Mobile, we both have Note 8s and both work quite well, even on the busiest of days.

It's so odd. That makes no sense.

We have found that making sure you are connected to Guest wifi at the Parks helps with load times on the app tremendously. Obviously, you want to allow the app to use cellular connectivity as well; between wifi and cell, you should resolve most speed issues.

Additionally, make sure your phone (regardless of Android/iOS) has been updated prior to going in the Parks; you want to make sure that you have the most current version of your phone's operating system PLUS the most current version of the MDE app installed.

If you continue to have issues while in the Parks with the app, you can always try signing out of the app, removing it from your phone, and downloading a fresh copy. Sounds crazy, but I have seen that strategy work on many apps across the board, not just MDE.

We have found that making sure you are connected to Guest wifi at the Parks helps with load times on the app tremendously. Obviously, you want to allow the app to use cellular connectivity as well; between wifi and cell, you should resolve most speed issues.

Additionally, make sure your phone (regardless of Android/iOS) has been updated prior to going in the Parks; you want to make sure that you have the most current version of your phone's operating system PLUS the most current version of the MDE app installed.

If you continue to have issues while in the Parks with the app, you can always try signing out of the app, removing it from your phone, and downloading a fresh copy. Sounds crazy, but I have seen that strategy work on many apps across the board, not just MDE.

The guest wifi at Disneyland is basically non-existent. It really doesn't work well. I wish it were on the same level as Disney World.

The guest wifi at Disneyland is basically non-existent. It really doesn't work well. I wish it were on the same level as Disney World.
For the past several weeks the Wifi has been working as intended at Disneyland so long as you are in one of the hotspots.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!