DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

Because now they will just have "Autism" instead of "IBS". You don't think they will figure it out? People who were willing to lie before are not going to be suddenly moral. Yes it will go from 6 down to 4, but we've already heard from all the people insisting why they still need 6+ people on their pass.
Even if one of them successfully faked autism, I suspect that in this scenario the accommodation offered would be exactly the same as for fake IBS (rider switch with 4 out of the 6 being required to go through the standby line).

Otherwise, does WDW allow those larger wagon type strollers?
Wagons are prohibited (this was done pre-pandemic)

• Strollers larger than 31” (79 cm) in width and 52” (132cm) in length are not permitted. Stroller wagons are also not permitted.
A stroller (that is still within the size guidelines and not a stroller wagon) I believe can still be tagged as a wheelchair. Have no idea if that's applicable to the prior poster but just mentioning that with the stroller conversation.

I'll repeat what I said in that prior comment "my comment wasn't intended to lead to this type of discussion" as well as "tangently related to the other poster's comment about checking their blood sugar in line (and the looks from other people and practicality of frequent checking by finger pricks including sanitation of it)."

Sometimes people need to pause when reading comments (because it's happened to other posters on this thread who comment something in general) that they aren't normally directed towards a particular person nor trying to invite a lot of "but my situation is different". It's merely a comment made
I was the poster you originally responded to (or was the subject of) and I believe your point was how CGMs can be incredibly useful! Which they generally are. I don’t think it had anything to do with comparing T1 to T2. I took it as a generality as should others who come across the original post😁

What is most upsetting to me is the experience of the disabled person being diminished. Before the disabled person had the ability to ride with their family, now the disabled person will be left to sit alone and then will ride with one other person. Everyone else that goes to WDW has the ability to enjoy the park with their family, they can wait together and ride together. Because as it turns out it is not about riding the ride, it is about the memories you make with loved ones. I know my parents do not get joy from riding Toy Story alone, it comes from being with their grandchildren. That being taken away from a disabled person is heartbreaking. It is not the Disney I once bought my grandmother to with stage 4 brain cancer. It was her last wish, to come and do what little she could with her family. Now those kind of trips are gone. It just isn’t the same place anymore. I’m sorry to everyone this affects.

• Strollers larger than 31” (79 cm) in width and 52” (132cm) in length are not permitted. Stroller wagons are also not permitted.
A stroller (that is still within the size guidelines and not a stroller wagon) I believe can still be tagged as a wheelchair. Have no idea if that's applicable to the prior poster but just mentioning that with the stroller conversation.
I thought they had been banned too, but I have seen multiple of these wagons at the last two visits to Disneyland. So they aren't being strict on that as much anymore.

Thanks. I wasn't sure if that applied to use as a "wheelchair" for special needs kids or not.

Thankfully I know some special needs strollers hold larger kids and still fit into those dimensions. At least, I know Special Tomato makes one that would work.

View attachment 850857
Based upon this screenshot from the Disneyland disability guide (which was posted in the DAS discussion in the Disneyland forum) it looks as though Disney is moving towards rider switch as opposed to DAS for conditions requiring frequent restroom use. For example, a party of 4, one of whom has IBS, could do a rider switch with two members of the party (who don’t have IBS) riding standby, following which the other two (including the person with IBS) could ride with LL. Such a system would obviously make it much less attractive for a party of (for example) six healthy young people to lie about one of them having IBS, as even if approved, four of them would still have to go through the standby line at each ride. Obviously there would be special cases like solo travelers, or parties of two where one person has the condition and needs the other person’s assistance to use the restroom, for which rider switch would not work, in which case the existing system could still be used.
This sounds great - assuming it is adopted at WDW there's some other option for parties of 2 where either both have issues or one is needed to assist the other. I have a feeling my brother will be waiting in line by himself when he travels with my mom and me.

What is most upsetting to me is the experience of the disabled person being diminished. Before the disabled person had the ability to ride with their family, now the disabled person will be left to sit alone and then will ride with one other person. Everyone else that goes to WDW has the ability to enjoy the park with their family, they can wait together and ride together. Because as it turns out it is not about riding the ride, it is about the memories you make with loved ones. I know my parents do not get joy from riding Toy Story alone, it comes from being with their grandchildren. That being taken away from a disabled person is heartbreaking. It is not the Disney I once bought my grandmother to with stage 4 brain cancer. It was her last wish, to come and do what little she could with her family. Now those kind of trips are gone. It just isn’t the same place anymore. I’m sorry to everyone this affects.
This. I absolutely hate the fact that I will now have to either shell out $$$$ or be separated from my family for most of the day. Those are not great options.

I'll repeat what I said in that prior comment "my comment wasn't intended to lead to this type of discussion" as well as "tangently related to the other poster's comment about checking their blood sugar in line (and the looks from other people and practicality of frequent checking by finger pricks including sanitation of it)."

Sometimes people need to pause when reading comments (because it's happened to other posters on this thread who comment something in general) that they aren't normally directed towards a particular person nor trying to invite a lot of "but my situation is different". It's merely a comment made

It is a common misconception that type 1 and type 2 diabetes is the same disease. It's not. It's important to me to help people see that there are huge differences in how the disease manifests itself from one to the other.

I'm sorry if you were offended...just trying to educate people a little

I thought they had been banned too, but I have seen multiple of these wagons at the last two visits to Disneyland. So they aren't being strict on that as much anymore.
Oh yeah I don't think they are as strict as they used to be, I mean when they first rolled that out they had tape on the ground to measure strollers and were prompt at sending the stroller wagons back. But I know I've read people wanting to specifically buy a Keenz just for WDW and it's like 😬 well..that technically is not allowed. I think it drastically reduced the amount you see though.

Thanks. I wasn't sure if that applied to use as a "wheelchair" for special needs kids or not.

Thankfully I know some special needs strollers hold larger kids and still fit into those dimensions. At least, I know Special Tomato makes one that would work.
Someone who has the more specially designed medical strollers and has been since the update in rules years back should def. have a more in real life answer because after I hit post I wondered the same thing myself!

This concerns me. Our next trip is Disneyland....on June 18th, the day it starts there. If we can't register ahead of time, online....we'll have to do it outside the gates the morning of the 18th. And if a TON of people are doing it...how the heck will that work? I guess we lose a massive chunk of our day waiting in the line. Well, my son wouldn't be able to tolerate a long line (hence the need for DAS) so I guess I'd be the one losing my morning. Though not sure how that will work because my son won't want to enter the parks without both parents. So I guess my husband and son will have to literally walk laps within view of me at the esplanade. I try not to be a Karen but if that's the scenario that plays out on June 18th, my inner Karen may have to make an appearance.....

(Not to mention if we somehow didn't qualify.....we'll have to try to re-tool our trip right there on the spot. Ugh.)
Disney keeps changing their website disabilities pages for WDW and DL.
A few days ago, there were 2 sets of instructions - one was for people coming BEFORE the date changes take place. And one was for people coming after.
Now, there is only one set. I don't know why they cut the second set. It may be because it was confusing people or maybe because they will add more information as the time gets closer.
This is copied from the Disneyland page:
For Guests visiting from April 9 through May 19, 2024, please note:
  • Pre-arrival conversations to determine eligibility for DAS are available 2-30 days prior to your park visit.
  • In-person conversations to determine eligibility for DAS will continue to be at Guest Relations locations.
  • You can book up to 2 one-hour return windows for select experiences using our DAS Advance planning option.
  • DAS is valid for up to 30 days from the start of the registration. Once the service has elapsed, Guests will need to re-register.
But that is where the health pros working with DAS come into play.
"The parks will hire more cast members overall and provide more training so additional workers can help guests better understand Disney's accessibility offerings. Disney will work with health professionals from Health Alliance, a health insurer, as needed to determine the eligibility of DAS applicants."

K, edited because the LA Times article states:

"The announced changes will go into effect May 20 at Disney World and June 18 at Disneyland.

They include:

• The parks will hire more cast members overall and provide more training so additional workers can help guests better understand Disney’s accessibility offerings.
  • Disney will work with health professionals from Health Alliance, a health insurer, as needed to determine the eligibility of DAS applicants.
  • The DAS verification will be extended, with passes expiring in 120 days instead of 60.
  • Pass party sizes will be limited to three people plus the pass holder."
https://www.latimes.com/california/...tes-disability-access-service-to-cut-down-on- abusers#:~:text=The%20parks%20will%20hire%20more,the%20eligibility%20of%20DAS%20applicants.
Most have assumed this means the health professional company would be:
- training Cast Members who will be doing screening
- training front line cast members on how different accommodations would be managed at their attraction
- coming up with possible accommodations and how to operationalize them
- act as consultants as difficult situations occur
Same with the "Return to Line" pass. The person leaving is punished for their disability because they have to fight their way out (and possibly back in) to the line. They have to search for a CM during a time-sensitive situation and explain in detail what they issue is in public. Then the family is punished as they stand at the front of the loading area waiting indefinitely for their person to return, if the person is able to to return.
We don't know what the process will be. It could be something very different than what people are imagining.

The announcement indicated they are partnering with Inspire Health Alliance, but the general understanding is that organization will be training Disney CMs and not the person doing the video chat directly. WDW is not requesting documentation, likely will refuse to look at any documentation, and definitely not collecting documentation. There is no ability for a healthcare provider to be confirmed as valid or truthful, plus their knowledge of Disney Parks operations would likely be minimal. The individual should be prepared to explain their needs (not diagnosis).

Regarding documentation -- what often gets written is something like these:
"Joe Smith needs to skip the lines. Please give him front of the line access." (which isn't an option)
"Jane Doe has MS and needs handicapped accommodations." (what does that mean)
"Sally Jones is pregnant with 3 young children. She should not be expected to wait in lines." (what?!)
Totally agree.
In the past, when all registration was in person at Guest Relations, I heard lots of discussions regarding letters. CMs talking quietly and guests talking loudly:
"My Doctor wrote AN ORDER that says we need front of the line access. You have to give it to us."
"What do you mean WHAT ARE MY CONCERNS with waiting in line? I need handicapped accommodations."
"My doctor said you shouldn't make me wait in lines. You try being pregnant with 3 small kids. That's a disability"
They are able to sell-out of Genie plus, both for the day and for each time slot. This spreads people out in the queue all day long and had an absolute limit to it. Whereas for DAS or disabilities I don't think they are legally able to put a strict number on the cap

In a weird coincidence if everyone with DAS showed up to a ride at the exact same time, it would be a mess. That can't happen with G+ by design
It does spread guests out except for if the ride goes down and all who didn't ride when it was down come back at the same time to ride

It has been my experience that one of the biggest reasons the LL’s are so long is the down times. When a ride finally comes back up, you can have several hours of G+ and DAS riders. At least in Disneyland. I personally feel they need the 3rd shift back and their attraction mechanics either better trained or have more of them. Fixing the DAS is just one possible solution to the long LL’s. If they decrease the amount of people utilizing DAS, increase the sale of Genie+, and utilize Rider Swap, they are still going to be in the same place they are now.
The piece we don't know is how many 'slots' were taken up by the DAS Advance Selections. The websites no longer mention them, so it appears they are going away, at least for most people with disabilities.
Allears net reported they may be still available for certain disabilities- no information on who or how
She is 4.5 now and barely fits. She can stop the stroller with her legs and reach down despite a 3 point harness. Stroller is Something to consider. I’ll do more research. Thanks!
Orlando Medical Rentals has the largest variety of special needs strollers to rent for WDW.
AdaptiveMall. Com is a good place to 'window shop.'

Who knows if that Rider Switch screenshot from DL is going to be applied at WDW, but if it is, it doesn't even sound like Autism/DD will get DAS either. I'm specifically looking at the line that says "Cannot wait the duration of the queue and needs another member of their party to do the waiting for them." That makes it sound like the reason the person is unable to wait is not even considered and therefore there will not really be a DAS at DL any longer. That seems even more extreme than what was originally announced, doesn't it?

ETA: Has this language been on the DL site since the original announcement was made? Or was it added later?

Last edited:
It is a common misconception that type 1 and type 2 diabetes is the same disease. It's not. It's important to me to help people see that there are huge differences in how the disease manifests itself from one to the other.
Except it does vary by individual. DH is T2 but when he goes low it is extremely hard to bring back up. T1 is not the only type to go low. Yes, the underlying causes of the diseases are different but the impact to individuals varies.

It can be extremely hard to get stroller-as-wheelchair for a stroller agon. Essentially one needs to have a ton of medical equipment, and even then I’ve seen reports of being denied.

Stroller wagons are on the prohibited list in general. Some now are very foldable and people bring them in folded, claiming it’s a stroller.

All the prior DAS users will now attempt to use some combination of Rider Swap/Return to Line (whatever that ends up meaning)/Genie+, and Disney will also sell additional G+ due to the reduction in DAS granted, so there is no hope of this actually reducing people in the LL.
I really don't see how the rider swap thing is really a fix to any of this. Since with DAS you're virtually waiting in the standby queue anyway, if you have a party of 4, for ex (using that, since that's what they are limiting DAS to) - with this rider swap, 1 person waits in RS, the other 3 still go do something that has a shorter line, the 1 person finishes their ride and then the other 3 still go in LL to ride.

The only thing this does for the ride where the rider switch is being used (in lieu of DAS) is remove 1 person from the LL and ensure the party is split.

Who knows if that Rider Switch screenshot from DL is going to be applied at WDW, but if it is, it doesn't even sound like Autism/DD will get DAS either. I'm specifically looking at the line that says "Cannot wait the duration of the queue and needs another member of their party to do the waiting for them." That makes it sound like the reason the person is unable to wait is not even considered and therefore there will not really be a DAS at DL any longer. That seems even more extreme than what was originally announced, doesn't it?

ETA: Has this language been on the DL site since the original announcement was made? Or was it added later?

I wouldn't panic too soon. The rider switch information everyone is talking about was posted before this change was even a thing. It is current wording at DL now, not a future plan, so it is referencing those at that park right now who don't have DAS as those with DAS would not need this accommodation. People are only speculating that Disney World will adopt something similar for those who don't qualify for DAS.

It seems very clear autism is one of the only things we know for sure the DAS is going to cover since they state that straight out. It is the only thing they have been clear about.

Not directed at anyone specific, but in regards to this. I find it interesting that the decision is to force people who need accommodations into subpar accommodations so that they can make the able bodied people who pay $$$ have an easier time.

Subpar? Tons of people go to Disney every day and wait in standby lines. The point of the ADA and disability protections is to do something so they can have a comparable experience to an average guest. I'm not sure it can be considered subpar if they just start asking the people who are able to wait in the standby lines to please do so (with modifications if needed) so that others from their group or other groups who absolutely NEED a short wait can actually get one. Even if that means splitting up the party while they wait for lines.

They are talking about DAS getting to the point where so many people are eligible and want to use it that the whole system is becoming unusable. If so many people are in the DAS/G+ return line that the wait grows to an hour on all the rides, there is nothing they can do any longer for someone who absolutely CANNOT wait that long. They have to reduce the usage and eligibility, even if many don't like to hear it.

If for example, everyone who was eligible tried to apply JUST for anxiety or add/adhd symptoms, then we are approaching a third of the population that can apply for DAS. And that is before you take into account anyone just lying and saying they have an issue or the tons of other serious issues people have. If 1/3 people can apply for DAS, and each of those people can bring 5 or 6 people with them, congratulations, the entire park now has DAS and the lightning lane is the same length as the regular line and DAS no longer works. For anyone.

Last edited:
I honestly hope you're still able to.

I do wonder if the scammer/liar type people lurk on these message boards to get ideas of what they can say. So if people post specifics and then post that they are able to get DAS with that....I just worry people will use the same disabilities to get approved.
I literally have the device I will show them and demonstrate for them. And the scar on his head. If we get it, I won't say. It's so sad that this happens. We went to WDW as a family 14x before this and doing something like that never even crossed our mind. I just don't get people...

I suspect that this will be determined during the call with the disability team and is also why Inspire Health is being brought in.

They will have specific questions to help evaluate the need - with the goal being to try not to grant anyone DAS except those who really need it. The determination on who qualifies and really needs it is being made by Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter