DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

But the basis of the conversation is assuming that the program of DAS is determining whether someone does or doesn't spend X number of hours in the park and that's completely presumptuous of someone. We don't have any idea what other people are doing on their park days, what their limits are, what their desires for their park days are or what they turn out to be. Qualifying for a Disability Service as determined by a theme park in conjunction with Federal laws does not determine how long you are in a park, that is up to each and every person including those who have their own things going on but don't qualify for it.

There's just a bit of double standard going on here that doesn't at all help. No one wants to presume what activities or abilities of a DAS user and the same should be towards ones who don't. I would never make an assumption of the park going experience for a person who qualifies for DAS, the same courtesy should be given to those that don't qualify for it because we don't know each other lives.

And most certainly when discussing value to cost ratio with a theme park ticket.
Disney isn't just doing things to meet ADA rules. They have the data of users. There is a reason they encourage how to use DAS .

And yes that's why there's an incentive for people to lie And get an accommodation that they really do not need.

Disney tries to do right.

For those lying. FAFO. Don't be crying when Disney cops give them the ban

Your previously approved DAS from late March should still be good for 60 days. My understanding is that DAS approvals after the announcement last week are only good for 30 days, but no change to those issued prior.
This is correct. I verified with a CM the other day and my DAS that was issued in late March will expire in May.

@Mackenzie Click-Mickelson with all due respect, no the question started with a different poster whom you didn't name, and it pertained to buying a ticket for the DAS-holder before doing the pre-registration and then buying a ticket for another member of the party after that. They didn't want to tie up funds in tickets if they weren't going to like the accommodations offered. A very legitimate question.

But the rest of it was all speculation about how Disney might ban people. I have asked that such speculation not be discussed further and you proceeded to copy/paste.

Disney isn't just doing things to meet ADA rules.
That part was me saying Disney has to provide xyz due to Federal laws. That's a big part of how DAS works because they legally have to keep certain things going a certain way to comply with that. Then they can have whatever definition they want when it's not an issue of compliance with a law. So all of this conversation is about a definition Disney is able to adjust...to a point..

Disney tries to do right.
I agree they really do try to do right by everyone they can.

But the basis of the conversation is assuming that the program of DAS is determining whether someone does or doesn't spend X number of hours in the park and that's completely presumptuous of someone. We don't have any idea what other people are doing on their park days, what their limits are, what their desires for their park days are or what they turn out to be. Qualifying for a Disability Service as determined by a theme park in conjunction with Federal laws does not determine how long you are in a park, that is up to each and every person including those who have their own things going on but don't qualify for it.

There's just a bit of double standard going on here that doesn't at all help. No one wants to presume what activities or abilities of a DAS user and the same should be towards ones who don't. I would never make an assumption of the park going experience for a person who qualifies for DAS, the same courtesy should be given to those that don't qualify for it because we don't know each other lives.

And most certainly when discussing value to cost ratio with a theme park ticket.
I tend to agree with you on this. We spent a week at WDW with grandparents along. They were in fine health for their age (no DAS needed) but…they needed a long break every afternoon. They just couldn’t last a full day on their feet in the summer sun.

I guess maybe it was their choice to not rent wheelchairs, but they are perfectly fine walking…just not for the miles required for a full day in the parks.

Lots of non-DAS users need to leave the parks early for one reason or another.

I also just spent a week at WDW with a relative who gets severe migraines. There were a few days we needed to leave early then too.

Quick question. We just scheduled a trip for May 10-17. We will not have time to do the DAS registration until Sunday. Since we go before the changes I am wondering if they will use the old accommodations or new. We usually get the DAS under my husband instead of my daughter's. All 3 would qualify, each with a different "disability". Each one would probably qualify for different accommodations. I just don't know if all 3 should be there for the chat or not. There probably is not a direct answer, just looking for advice. I am not nervous that they would not qualify (especially my youngest daughter who has physical, cognitive and other developmental disabilities).

I specifically said that DAS should be based on the person's needs/concerns with waiting in the regular line, NOT the time they are able to be in the parks. I did NOT discuss value to cost ration - just that having AP made us feel less pressure to stay for long days

I also said the need for my daughter to have shorter days was why we CHOOSE to purchase Annual Passes and go on longer trips. I don't care why people choose to stay for shorter days or what their challenges/limitations are. That's their business and their choice and I have not said it's wrong or they have no challenges.

It's not fair or respectful to say it's the same situation if someone chooses shorter days (maybe because some challenges or not)
to the people with disabilities (whether they qualify for DAS or not) whose own disabilities mean have no choice about how long their day is.

My family has Annual Passes, strictly so we have flexibility and don't feel like we have to get the money's worth out of every day.
Our shortest day was 30 minutes a couple of years ago and our average park day is 3-4 hours, including travel time. We consider anything over 4 hours to be a really good day.

It's not the same though.
Many people without disabilities might CHOOSE to go only a few hours and leave. That is their choice/way they prefer to do the parks.
For many people with disabilites, staying in the park or leaving is not a choice, it's their necessity and reality. My family chooses to deal with our daughter's need for shorter park days by taking longer trips and purchasing Annual Passes. Skipping a park day to rest or leaving after a few hours feels much better with an AP, than using up one day out of X number of days when all the days need to be used within a certain time window.

I AM NOT saying people with disabilities should get DAS based on how many hours they can be in a park. DAS eligibility should be based on needs/issues that person has with waiting in the traditional lines.

Just thought would let you know the response we had from disability services to us who live in UK

We asked - how do we do the live DAS video for people in the UK
They kindly sent a website link to the Disneyworld.co.uk site

We replied - no live video link
Disney sent another link to the .co.uk site

We replied - need the link to the .com site or are we in the UK not allowed to apply for DAS

Disney sent an interesting response - International visitors cannot apply for DAS
They have to go to guest services on First day where they will be given an I Pad to contact DAS for a live video chat .

We told them , have been DVC members for over 20 years and this is biggest shambles we have seen .
We are coming end of may for two weeks and wished we weren't

Just thought would let you know the response we had from disability services to us who live in UK

We asked - how do we do the live DAS video for people in the UK
They kindly sent a website link to the Disneyworld.co.uk site

We replied - no live video link
Disney sent another link to the .co.uk site

We replied - need the link to the .com site or are we in the UK not allowed to apply for DAS

Disney sent an interesting response - International visitors cannot apply for DAS
They have to go to guest services on First day where they will be given an I Pad to contact DAS for a live video chat .

We told them , have been DVC members for over 20 years and this is biggest shambles we have seen .
We are coming end of may for two weeks and wished we weren't
It's bad enough that they require purchasing tickets and everything prior to the DAS interview. But given the sweeping changes they're making, this is a poor way to handle their international guests. I know other nation's laws play a part in this, but is there really no way they can work through that!?

but that doesn't mean every aspect of every conversation about a theme park should based on what a DAS user or someone with a disability has vs someone who isn't/does.

I agree with a lot of your post except this part. Most definitely not every theme park conversation should be dictated by DAS - but this  is a thread about DAS changes in the disabilities forum.

I agree with a lot of your post except this part. Most definitely not every theme park conversation should be dictated by DAS - but this  is a thread about DAS changes in the disabilities forum.
Absolutely! Maybe I should have worded it as the content of the posts shouldn't always be based on what a DAS user or someone with a disability has vs someone who isn't/does because those experiences, struggles, things that come up also occur with other park goers too. Some things are so incredibly unique that it's very difficult to relate to or very difficult to generalize. Others things not. But those "other things not" have come up enough times.

Quick question. We just scheduled a trip for May 10-17. We will not have time to do the DAS registration until Sunday. Since we go before the changes I am wondering if they will use the old accommodations or new. We usually get the DAS under my husband instead of my daughter's. All 3 would qualify, each with a different "disability". Each one would probably qualify for different accommodations. I just don't know if all 3 should be there for the chat or not. There probably is not a direct answer, just looking for advice. I am not nervous that they would not qualify (especially my youngest daughter who has physical, cognitive and other developmental disabilities).
People who have registered or reregistered for trips that take place before the change have stated that the existing ("old") rules were applied to their situations. You have a trip that will take place under the old rules, but other callers could be applying for trips that will happen under the "new" rules. No one knows if the discussions that CM will have/questions that they will ask will be different depending on the timing of the trip or not. Since they are so busy, they might be happy to reregister your family member(s) under the "old" rules and keep things simple. If your DH's accommodations have worked in the past for the family as a whole, and since your trip takes place entirely under the "old" rules, I'd probably focus on him.

I wholeheartedly agree it shouldn't be based on the amount of time they are in the parks but that was what the PP was talking about when saying they pay the same price as a non-DAS user.

I don't think anyone should harbor ill will towards people who obtain accommodations because of whatever but that doesn't mean every aspect of every conversation about a theme park should based on what a DAS user or someone with a disability has vs someone who isn't/does. That slides over into being unfair and not respectful to other people too. Much of the conversation about what DAS users limitations are are a generality about all DAS users or those with disability and it pits people against people when we're talking about touring a theme park that does affects people all differently. It's basically like the "weddings and funerals bring out the worst of people" type thing. Everyone is all just trying not to be stuck on it's a small world :)

1000% yes. And I've tried to make that point multiple times. But the judgement and assumption occurs on all sides and has from virtually the beginning. DAS users judge and assume other DAS users.
My point was that posters were complaining that DAS users were "gaming" the system because they might ride something with a short standby while waiting for their DAS return time. I was showing hypothetically how some DAS users cannot stay in the parks more than a few hours.
People can choose to pay for Genie+ or not and DAS users can choose to pay for their park tickets or not knowing they won't get a full day use.
I in no way meant that DAS should be based upon the number of hours someone spends in the parks.

Disney’s response to international travelers makes me very sad. They expect families to invest thousands of dollars in a trip without knowing until after they arrive if they will receive the accommodation they need.

Personally, I feel all guests applying for DAS, regardless of where they live, should be able to get a yes or no far enough ahead that they can cancel their trip without penalty if they feel they can’t work with the accommodation offered. To make people wait until after arrival, or even after the package paid-in-full date when penalties are higher, has the potential to be a huge customer service blunder that could give Disney a lot of bad publicity.

I have not read all 160+ pages of this thread, so apologies if this has been mentioned. How do we think the "return to line" option is going to go over? I heard they would offer that for people with GI disorders (I have one myself which is why I'm curious).

The way people get super upset at regular line jumpers, or people who leave and get back, I don't see this going over well...I once had to leave the standby line, because I had a flare-up and needed to run to the bathroom, and people were pissed at me when I met my party in line again. Someone even tried to refuse to let me pass. I'm wondering how Disney will handle that.
At Disneyland it looks like it will be handled with rider switch. This is from the Disneyland disability access guide. The WDW one doesn’t have the same thing. IMG_9072.png

I would agree with this statement, and yet - there are countless posts in this thread making such judgments and assumptions of DAS users. So if this statement is going to be true, it's true for all guests.
At this point, I am not going back over 160+ pages to clean up some questionable comments. The moderators have been pushing back against a lot of assumptions and speculation now that we have time to do so. We ask for everyone's patience and respect as through this time of uncertainty until Disney shares more details. It's stressful, it's aggravating, it's worrisome for many.

Disney’s response to international travelers makes me very sad. They expect families to invest thousands of dollars in a trip without knowing until after they arrive if they will receive the accommodation they need.

Personally, I feel all guests applying for DAS, regardless of where they live, should be able to get a yes or no far enough ahead that they can cancel their trip without penalty if they feel they can’t work with the accommodation offered. To make people wait until after arrival, or even after the package paid-in-full date when penalties are higher, has the potential to be a huge customer service blunder that could give Disney a lot of bad publicity.
What did intl visitors do before DAS registration went online?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter