DAS for blood-clot issues

Twitterpaited

Mouseketeer
My family is going to WDW in the summer, including my DBiL. He has circulation issues, including a high risk of blood clots. Anybody have experience getting DAS with this condition? It is not really a mobility issue. He can walk fine. He can’t stand or walk for too long, but also can’t sit for too long in order to regulate his circulation.

It is situations like this where approval for the DAS gets tricky. Definitely ask, but he could be turned down. Be prepared for that. With your explanation it sounds like having a mobility device that your DBL alternates using and standing could possibly address the issue. I would be prepared for the CM to see it that way.

I also have a propensity for blood clots, but it never occurred to me to ask for a DAS. I'm not saying they wouldn't issue a DAS, but I'm not seeing how a DAS would address his issues. If he can't stand or walk for very long, that's a mobility issue...how do you envision the DAS would help him?

What about the blood clots makes him unable to wait in line? That’s all the DAS is for. Regardless of WHY you cannot sit or stand too long, it’s still a mobility issue as far as WDW is concerned. There are ways to minimize both, and most ones are not at a standstill for more than a couple of minutes anyway. And it’s easy to creat a pacing space with others in your party to give him room.

I am not sure either I wheelchair or roller that he can push and sit when needed also the lines are slow moving for the most part where you do your most standing is the preshow and the DAS dose not skip those. Also have your family make a little bubble around him so that he can move more this and a mobility device would probably do better then the DAS

You could ask but its unlikely they would give a DAS for this.
It really is a mobility issue that he could have a wheelchair and sit when needed and stand/move when needed.
I will say I was drawn into this thread because my sister just had blood clots and will still be on blood thinners when we go in July.
Hers was a direct result of a surgery though and was just PE's vs a DVT so she likely won't have any future risk factors.

My family is going to WDW in the summer, including my DBiL. He has circulation issues, including a high risk of blood clots. Anybody have experience getting DAS with this condition? It is not really a mobility issue. He can walk fine. He can’t stand or walk for too long, but also can’t sit for too long in order to regulate his circulation.

When you state he can walk fine, but can't walk for too long, what exactly is too long? The parks are huge, and there's much more walking around the parks than in the queues. The queues are rarely stopped for long - more like a minute or two, then a few steps ahead, etc. The preshows would be tricky though (and the DAS does nothing with that) so he would benefit having someplace to sit when the standing becomes too much, IMO.

I think maybe more information is needed about his specific issue? For example, I have a condition called essential thrombocytosis which means I have a high number of platelets circulating and it increases my risk of blood clots, particularly DVT and PE clots. In my case I’m in a “watchful waiting” situation with careful monitoring. Some folks with my condition are on a blood thinner if there are additional risk factors. I don’t really do or need to do anything differently while in WDW for this except to increase my water consumption to avoid dehydration. I do wear compression stockings on flights and I suppose i should when I’m going to be on my feet all day in the parks but I don’t. This is not something for which I personally would consider asking for a DAS even though I do need to take more frequent restroom breaks. So, really it all depends on they why he can’t wait in the actual queue more than the specifics of the condition he has. I can’t think of anything about waiting in the actual line in my situation that is in any way more difficult for me than if I waited elsewhere as it relates to my condition.

Is the DAS card mostly intended for people with sensory problems, then?

Not necessarily. It’s not for mobility issues, it’s for issues that make it difficult or impossible for the guest to wait in the standard queue. That could be any number of issues, although I personally can’t see any circumstance where circulation/blood clot issues would necessitate a DAS.

Is the DAS card mostly intended for people with sensory problems, then?
I know people Thant use the DAS tht do not have sensory problems

If the CM is doing their job they will ask you what your concerns are for the line. If it is walking too long siting to long or can not do any of those too long then this is a mobility problem

I will add that I do not know a lot about blood clots issues I do now some and like the PP said I too do not know of any resign why the DAS would be needed. Now I do know that everyone is different and this is why I said in my PP the DAS is not for I can not walk too much I can not sit to much I need to keep moving I can not do any of those things for too long that the CM will mostly look at this as a mobility problem. It is up to you or the person needing the DAS to think of why they need to wait out side the line and what about waiting out side the line would be different Just remember that the lines for the most part are slow moving until you get to the preshow ( if the ride has one) where you will ( very likely ) stand in one place for a few minutes. And the DAS dose not help with this. This is why a wheelchair might be the most helpful to him as this would help make a bubble for him to move around in a place to sit when needed but like I said everyone is different so you him will need to think of his needs in line but I just do not see the need for a DAS

The things to think about are:
- does this condition prevent you from waiting in the regular lines?

- what about your condition and the lines prevents you from waiting in the regular lines?

The purpose of DAS is to provide a place to wait outside of the regular line. In some cases, it won’t shorten your walk in the line. For example, in Soarin’ the Fastpass line runs parallel to the Standby line, so they are the same distance. The Fastpass line just moves faster.
There are multiple attractions where all guests need to stand for a period with no seats available. For those, if you don’t have a wheelchair, ECV or rollator with you, you will need to stand.

So, you might be in a somewhat similar situation as I am. I have a condition called POTS and have gotten the DAS before. I have to wear compression socks and I can walk fine and actually walking is best for me. If I got a wheelchair my cardiologist would be upset as it would make my condition worse as it exacerbates deconditioning. The main problem for me is that if I stood in a line that was more than 15 minutes or so, 20 ish max, I black out or full on pass out. People say sit in a wheel chair, but if I did, and didn’t get up an walk around every 25 minutes...I’d black out. (If I sit on the couch at home for too long and forget to get up, I black out every time I get up...it’s fun). So for me, I have to keep moving and can’t sit for too long. It sounds weird, but it’s how my condition works.

When I fly I have to get up and walk around every 20 minutes too

I know blod clot conditions are very similar, where sitting too much is an enemy of your condition, and standing with little motion (like an hour long line can be) in heat can also cause your health problem to be worsened.

Being sedentary, such as being in a wheel chair during your trip could worsen your blood clot condition, so I would just explain that when you apply.

Unfortunately most people just think, well, if you can walk, then you don’t have an issue, or just use a wheelchair, and with some circulatory issues (mine is actually an autonomic nervous disorder) we need to walk, but standing mostly still is pretty dangerous. (Heck I black out at Kroger if I stand still too long reading the labels on an item).

People say sit in a wheel chair, but if I did, and didn’t get up an walk around every 25 minutes...I’d black out.
Respectfully, it's the person's responsibility to see to their own medical needs.
and standing with little motion (like an hour long line can be) in heat can also cause your health problem to be worsened.
Few, if any, hour long lines have the person (just) standing with little motion.

I do want to add that when I
Respectfully, it's the person's responsibility to see to their own medical needs.

Few, if any, hour long lines have the person (just) standing with little motion.

Yes, I understand that everyone, should see to their own medical needs, I was just explaining that if their blod clot condition was similar that they should explain why a wheelchair isn’t a solution, and that people shouldn’t always assume that wheelchairs are solutions or that if people can walk, that they don’t have issues.

Also, I hope this doesn’t come off the wrong way, because I really don’t mean for it to, but your definition of little motion and my definition of little motion in a line can be vastly different. The longer lines at Disney, from my experience have little movement. I’ve watched the long lines and how very slowly they moved.

For me, if something isn’t constantly moving forward at steady walking pace, if it has little movement, I am at risk of blacking out, especially if it’s hot and especially the longer I’ve been standing continuously.

Moving at a slow pace of a few steps here and there may seem totally normal, but for me, it would result in a ambulance being called (it happened before, not at Disney, but it has, and the line was actually moving like a Disney line and wasn’t an hour long...but I learned my lesson...)

Also, I use DAS extremely sparingly. When I go to Disney it’s just my husband and I and on our last five day trip I’m not sure we used it even 5 times, because I will always try to get on a ride with a short line first if I can, or we just walk around.

People say sit in a wheel chair, but if I did, and didn’t get up an walk around every 25 minutes...I’d black out.

Agree with both of you. This is exactly why Disney should not (and does not) insist that a wheelchair is the only solution when a person can't physically stand in a line for a long time. What may seem like a mobility issue often is not. It is the responsibility of each person requesting the DAS to explain their needs and advocate for themselves.

Have a wonderful vacation OP!

Also, I hope this doesn’t come off the wrong way, because I really don’t mean for it to, but your definition of little motion and my definition of little motion in a line can be vastly different. The longer lines at Disney, from my experience have little movement. I’ve watched the long lines and how very slowly they moved.
I am curious, then - what do you do while waiting outside the line?

I do want to add that when I

Yes, I understand that everyone, should see to their own medical needs, I was just explaining that if their blod clot condition was similar that they should explain why a wheelchair isn’t a solution, and that people shouldn’t always assume that wheelchairs are solutions or that if people can walk, that they don’t have issues.

For me, if something isn’t constantly moving forward at steady walking pace, if it has little movement, I am at risk of blacking out, especially if it’s hot and especially the longer I’ve been standing continuously.

Moving at a slow pace of a few steps here and there may seem totally normal, but for me, it would result in a ambulance being called (it happened before, not at Disney, but it has, and the line was actually moving like a Disney line and wasn’t an hour long...but I learned my lesson...)

Also, I use DAS extremely sparingly. When I go to Disney it’s just my husband and I and on our last five day trip I’m not sure we used it even 5 times, because I will always try to get on a ride with a short line first if I can, or we just walk around.
I know someone that just got back from Disney and they are always moving ( I do not know why I think something medical) and I asked them how they handle lines she said that if the lines where standing still fit to long she would jump in place for her this worked fine for her. Funny thing is I also will jump in line due to my disability ( I crave the preasher it puts on my body).

Also how do you handle long drive she drive 45-60 minutes to another town a few times a month ( it is a two lane county road so really no place to stop or pull over) she has been fine but was wondering if you had any tops ( I told her about this thread )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter