Das for ibs

marsha123

Mouseketeer
we are traveling with someone who has recently been diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome. I don't know much about it but frequent bath room visits are a must. Do they offer the assistance card for this type of ailment?

DAS is not diagnosis-based, so no one here can give a definitive answer. The person (or parent if a child) should be prepared to explain their needs related to waiting in a standard queue environment.

The WDW - Disability Access Service thread pinned near the top of this forum has more info about the DAS.

Enjoy your vacation!

take a look at the pinned thread. The deal is that the person who needs the assistance card must explain to the CMs why they aren't able to wait in the standard queues. They don't need to provide a diagnosis, just confirm that they need an alternate place to wait and then come back to the attraction when it is time to experience it.

The others have told you about the DAS being at the discretion of the CM based on need, not diagnosis. I will give my opinion based on having IBS, luckily I have not had as many issues over the last few years. I have never felt the need for a DAS due to my IBS as I just manage WDW like I do outside of WDW.

Hopefully the person with IBS knows what triggers their flair ups. For me, it is stress (mental or physical) or food. Stress is not something I can always control so a flair up can happen at any time. As for food, I go in waves of issues. I may go months were I can eat when and where I want and have no issues, and then I will go months were any food, or broth, I consume will cause me pain and bathroom issues.

Tips I use:
  • Know where the restrooms are located. Even if you feel like you are okay, try every so often to use one. There is nothing worse than needing to go suddenly and not being able to find the restroom, especially as I tend find at least a 2-5 minute wait for a stall.
  • After a meal, I try to stick to attractions with lower wait times. I also try to keep to attractions that are shorter in runtime.
  • If I have a particularly bad flair up, I may find I just need to find a place out of the way to rest for a bit.

we are traveling with someone who has recently been diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome. I don't know much about it but frequent bath room visits are a must. Do they offer the assistance card for this type of ailment?

We use a DAS for my DD to help with the sensory and other issues related to autism, but I have IBS. If I'm having a flare up, the DAS won't help me. Even with the DAS, there is the wait in the FP line and then the length of the ride. That's far too long for me if I'm having IBS trouble. To help with the IBS, I have to use other strategies, like those mentioned by @tobikaye above.

Luckily, since my IBS is strongly influenced by stress, I tend to have far fewer flare ups on vacation. I usually plan for downtime immediately after meals to give me time to assess if I'm going to have an issue and to make a couple stops into the bathroom before heading to a ride or show. I also use Imodium and, as crazy as it might sound, peppermint candies. I started using the Starlight peppermint candies as a natural alternative to the medication Levsin when I was pregnant with my DD, and I found they really worked without as many side effects. I haven't had a prescription for Levsin for over 10 years now, but I carry peppermints with me at all times. If I start to feel an IBS attack coming on, I'll suck on a peppermint (or two or three in a row) and it usually stops the cramping and keeps me from having to run for the bathroom.

I was issued a DAS for my IBS for our trip that began this past Wednesday. We have only used it for rides with excessively long lines, and has been very helpful. I had a flare up starting two days before we left and I am still dealing with it unfortunately.

I struggled with IBS a lot when I was younger. Now I have the occasional bad time, but no where near what it used to be. I agree with avoiding triggers and using immodium. Also avoid caffeine as much as possible, as it will enhance any flare ups. But make sure your friend stay hydrated too.

I also find it helpful to figure out how to get out of a line once I am in it. Keeps me from panicking and stressing about What If I have a flare-up. I have left a line before, as long as you are polite and say Excuse Me no it is no problem. Any line you walk in you can walk back out of. I would maybe also skip rides like The Carousel of Progress, where you are trapped once inside.

If it would give any comfort I wouldn't be ashamed to wear a depends. It may be worth it for the peace of mind of just in case there is an accident, there is a back up. Maybe even have them pack a change of clothes. Again, being prepared can be comforting and take away some of the stress.

We use a DAS for my DD to help with the sensory and other issues related to autism, but I have IBS. If I'm having a flare up, the DAS won't help me. Even with the DAS, there is the wait in the FP line and then the length of the ride. That's far too long for me if I'm having IBS trouble. To help with the IBS, I have to use other strategies, like those mentioned by @tobikaye above.

Luckily, since my IBS is strongly influenced by stress, I tend to have far fewer flare ups on vacation. I usually plan for downtime immediately after meals to give me time to assess if I'm going to have an issue and to make a couple stops into the bathroom before heading to a ride or show. I also use Imodium and, as crazy as it might sound, peppermint candies. I started using the Starlight peppermint candies as a natural alternative to the medication Levsin when I was pregnant with my DD, and I found they really worked without as many side effects. I haven't had a prescription for Levsin for over 10 years now, but I carry peppermints with me at all times. If I start to feel an IBS attack coming on, I'll suck on a peppermint (or two or three in a row) and it usually stops the cramping and keeps me from having to run for the bathroom.

I do the same thing, but use Altoids. I eat 2-3 at a time (I know, hey, it clears out my sinuses at the same time ;) ) and things settle down. We also make sure there's a good sized gap in FP+ times so I can eat after an attraction, then kind of walk around and enjoy the scenery to see if I'm going to have a reaction. I've found my 'safe' foods at WDW - the fried chicken at Skipper's Canteen got added last trip!

Worse to worse I would use a diaper and perhaps extra padding in the diaper. I practice frequent restroom stops before any ride or show. Sometimes, depending on the ride wait I would use a restroom after a show or ride, too. I have a weak bladder and minor IBS. Just got back from 6 days at Disney and I did fine scheduling my pit stops. Also, I used a scooter and sitting helps me. The more I walk and stand the worse it can be for me.

We went to every early entry morning we could do. Wait times are not as bad. We would have a table service lunch before 1 pm and take an afternoon break and then return to the park for the evening. Lunch would be our stopping point. I would have a restroom stop after lunch before catching our bus back to the resort. The afternoon break relieved my problems and then we were off and running again. We would then eat late dinners at the resort food court after our evening in the parks. I avoided food in the parks. You may have to adjust your eating schedule a bit but it's only for a little while.

Get use to where the restrooms are located before you need one.

Also:

Ask your doctor if there is anything you can take (increase a med, etc) just for the trip.

Bring safe food with you.

Avoid Carousel of Progress if you think you are going to have a flare-up. Also avoid the People Mover, and any other attraction that is long and doesn't have a safe way to evacuate. At shows, ask to sit on the exit end so you can leave if you have to.

I would disagree and think it is possible a DAS would help with IBS. My son has toileting accidents (only at the Disney parks, never at home), and I mean DISASTERS at times, #2. I need to get him out of line ASAP, this is not like a baby diaper, trust me. Because he uses a Convaid chair on the lines, it is almost impossible to back him out of the lines, if we are deep into a long line. While there are lines for FP+, of course, getting off of them is generally easier than the regular line. (PS my son is non verbal, so no warning for these incidents, perhaps an adult (without my son's mental handicaps) would not need this, of course). But all this depends on individual, and a discussion with the CMs.

I would disagree and think it is possible a DAS would help with IBS. My son has toileting accidents (only at the Disney parks, never at home), and I mean DISASTERS at times, #2. I need to get him out of line ASAP, this is not like a baby diaper, trust me. Because he uses a Convaid chair on the lines, it is almost impossible to back him out of the lines, if we are deep into a long line. While there are lines for FP+, of course, getting off of them is generally easier than the regular line. (PS my son is non verbal, so no warning for these incidents, perhaps an adult (without my son's mental handicaps) would not need this, of course). But all this depends on individual, and a discussion with the CMs.

How do you handle the incidents when it happens on an attraction?

I'm going to agree with others here. I have had IBS for years and also have IBD and have never needed DAS. Not that it would have helped anyway.

Have the person avoid their triggers and maintain their meds and emergency meds and they should be ok.

We spent 10 days at Disney World this December. I was issued a DAS pass for my IBS and it totally changed the scope of our trip. I no longer had to pass up rides with the super long lines, and was able to rest during the wait times (my IBS is triggered by anxiety and exhaustion). Cast members were amazing, and often issued return times or 10 to 20 minutes regardless of current wait time. It made our trip 100% more enjoyable! This is why I don't mind spending the money for Disney, because they handle every situation so exceptionally well and I get to enjoy my vacation to the fullest.

We spent 10 days at Disney World this December. I was issued a DAS pass for my IBS and it totally changed the scope of our trip. I no longer had to pass up rides with the super long lines, and was able to rest during the wait times (my IBS is triggered by anxiety and exhaustion). Cast members were amazing, and often issued return times or 10 to 20 minutes regardless of current wait time. It made our trip 100% more enjoyable! This is why I don't mind spending the money for Disney, because they handle every situation so exceptionally well and I get to enjoy my vacation to the fullest.

While I’m glad you had a great trip with the DAS, I hate to hear about cast members disregarding the wait time rules. The DAS is such a good accommodation when used correctly, it’s a shame that some cast members are unwilling to do the right thing and make people wait for the correct amount of time.

I had watched someone's video log of their recent trip also using the DAS Pass, and shorter return times seem to be the norm. For them sometimes the cast member just let them go on through right then. We had no problem waiting the actual time, I would say 90% of the time we did not make it back to the ride until an hour or two AFTER our return time. We certainly did not abuse the system in any way.

One thing we all need to remember is that the DAS is not DX based but need-based, I know a few people with ASD some need the DAS for this and others do not I can list a few other Disabilities too where I know one person that would need a DAS and another that would not.

If anyone thinks they need a DAS I would go to guest relations and talk to them about what your concerns are about waiting in a line for a ride ( as this is the only thing a DAS is good for) and ask them what you can do so that you can have a good trip, they may say a DAS is right for your needs they may say something else is.

I do understand why people come on here and ask for a DAS for XYZ DX but the DAS is not given out because of a DX but because of needs as it has to do with standing in lines.

I used my DAS that I have for my IBD and chemo in November. I only used it a few times but each time we were given a return time equal to the wait time. I didn't mind having to wait. All of the CM were very helpful and kind.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter