DAS for mobility issue?

They tip backwards as you are trying to walk, so it becomes very difficult and security stops you frequently to ask why you are pushing an empty wheelchair. Seriously, I had 5 ask me in that short 15 minute trip.

At least that was my experience.
I have pushed a wheelchair a few times at Disney when I needed a little extra help with dizziness and I have never had one tip on me I do put a backpack in the set and really do not put that much weigh in the chair. my friend also uses one a lot more then I do and no one has ever stopped either of us at all when I or my friend was pushing. If the op needs to keep moving but also needs to sit some then pushing a wheelchair would really help it would give the OP a place to sit they can also use the wheelchair to help make a bubble so they can walk in place more

As I said, my experience in dealing with it.
if someone does not need to put a lot of weight on the wheelchair put need it for a set every now and then ( like it sounds the OP needs since they need to keep moving) then pushing a wheelchair would work quite well I just do not want someone reading what happened to you and think I can not push a wheelchair because that was out of the norm for CM to stop you

Doesn't Disney rent a standing ECV for such situations?
Not as far as anyone has experienced or reported. But if the person can't stand in one place, how would a standing ECV help?
Unfortunately rollater is a no go
Curious why?
They tip backwards as you are trying to walk, so it becomes very difficult and security stops you frequently to ask why you are pushing an empty wheelchair. Seriously, I had 5 ask me in that short 15 minute trip.
At least that was my experience.
probably Security was trying to determine if you needed assistance with the person for whom you were getting the chair?

Curious why?

Purely personal preference. They don’t find them very comfortable and don’t own one so we would have to buy one just for the trip and then haul it over from Ireland and back again. Her husband is able bodied so it’s not a physical impossibility just a bit of a pain.

I think the wheelchair might be the way forward or enjoying other things Disney has to offer. It’s unfortunate but that’s life. We’ll go enjoy everything else and ride what we can but missing some rides isn’t the end of the world and I’m sure we’ll still have a great time.

Apologies if this is a very obvious question!

Someone in my party has mobility issues that require them to freely move around (as in a wheelchair is not an option as they can’t sit for extended periods and standing isn’t an option because they often need to sit or walk around to stretch - they have 2 conflicting issues). They are worried that they can’t get DAS for a mobility issue and instead will be told to rent a wheelchair and that the lines give ample room to move. Do GR do that?

TIA

Luckily, the queues at WDW are long and you rarely stand still - standing usually happens mostly past the DAS point, closer to the loading area, so a DAS wouldn't help there anyways.

Purely personal preference. They don’t find them very comfortable and don’t own one so we would have to buy one just for the trip and then haul it over from Ireland and back again. Her husband is able bodied so it’s not a physical impossibility just a bit of a pain.

I think the wheelchair might be the way forward or enjoying other things Disney has to offer. It’s unfortunate but that’s life. We’ll go enjoy everything else and ride what we can but missing some rides isn’t the end of the world and I’m sure we’ll still have a great time.

You can rent equipment at WDW from some local agencies - check the stickies in this forum for some suggestions. I'd keep the info with you at WDW just in case you need it later on.

If you do go the wheelchair route, you don't have to bring it into every ride. You can leave it parked here and there. When my DH first started using one at disney, he would ride from land to land , park it and walk to each ride.

I've never asked but am slightly in the same boat. I can walk forever, but it is the sitting and standing still are the problem. At work my company gave me a stand up work station which was much better for my back than sitting, but ultimately proved problematic as while standing for extended period of times as I couldn't maintain proper posture. Now that I have transitioned to a treadmill desk at work I have no issue as while walking it is impossible to just lean on one leg for minutes at a time and aggravate my back. I simply don't wait in 1+ hour lines and have done fine.

I'm off to google "treadmill desk" as it sounds amazing. I can also walk forever, but standing in one spot is what kills me. At WDW it's the darn pre-shows that kill me. The FOP one is especially long. Just let me keep walking! LOL!!!

I'm off to check out treadmill desks!!! Thanks for the info!

I'm off to google "treadmill desk" as it sounds amazing. I can also walk forever, but standing in one spot is what kills me. At WDW it's the darn pre-shows that kill me. The FOP one is especially long. Just let me keep walking! LOL!!!

Yep the preshow are where you really stop in one place for a while and the DAS dose nothing to help with this

And a bonus on this is you will be getting lots of great exercise. With my personal issues, it wouldn't work for me, not to mention I don't know that I could control the mouse well enough to do my job while walking since my job require a decent level of precision, but I can see it being beneficial for some.

If you do go the wheelchair route, you don't have to bring it into every ride. You can leave it parked here and there. When my DH first started using one at disney, he would ride from land to land , park it and walk to each ride.
That’s what we do. I have a wonky back, but can walk for periods of time. My husband wheels me to an area, we park and I get out and walk around until it hurts, then back into the chair I go! It works for us.

And a bonus on this is you will be getting lots of great exercise. With my personal issues, it wouldn't work for me, not to mention I don't know that I could control the mouse well enough to do my job while walking since my job require a decent level of precision, but I can see it being beneficial for some.
I can type without issue up to the max speed of 2 mph. At the min speed of .7 mph I can do anything but the most precise work with a mouse. Certainly can’t be editing in photoshop at 2 mph. But even the .7 mph takes care of my back issues

Yeah it is great. They provided one that is pretty much silent (but I’ve had people use it wearing boots and they make plenty of noise). Good luck to you.

I can type without issue up to the max speed of 2 mph. At the min speed of .7 mph I can do anything but the most precise work with a mouse. Certainly can’t be editing in photoshop at 2 mph. But even the .7 mph takes care of my back issues
I am glad it is working for you, my job often needs me to be precise to within 1/64", not to mention it unfortunately wouldn't work for my needs anyway, but just picturing it.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!