DAS once TSM gets rid of fp entrance?

gatormom2tots

DIS Veteran
We are headed down end of May/beginning of June. I have read about TSM closing fp line due to new Toy Story land and all....

We use the DAS for our ASD son. Does that mean that TSM will not be an option for DAS? I want to prepare him ahead of time if that is the case to avoid any possible issues.

We don’t know yet.
The current load and unload areas are in the same place, just on opposite sides of the track.
The current accessible boarding & unload area is just beyond the regular load/unload area.
My guess (and this is ONLY an educated guess) is that the attraction would probably give DAS Return Times and have DAS holders return to the exit for boarding.

Until the Fastpass line closes and we have some reports, we won’t know for sure.

I am not sure anyone know for sure yet. I will say that in order to use the DAS there needs to be an FP and standby line. There really is not many rides at Disney that has a long line and no FP the rockets ( I forgot what they are called) at the MK are really the only thing that I can think of that has a longer line and no FP and I have never had any problem getting a DAS there. So my guess is that they will let you get a DAS and have you go thoguth the exit for your return time but this is just a guess on my part. I will be there the end of April and might see what happens if the FP line is closed

We are headed down end of May/beginning of June. I have read about TSM closing fp line due to new Toy Story land and all....

We use the DAS for our ASD son. Does that mean that TSM will not be an option for DAS? I want to prepare him ahead of time if that is the case to avoid any possible issues.
I have also read of possible complete close so I would prepare your son for that also happening in your time frame

I don't understand why they would get rid of the FP line. I have heard this, but doesn't make sense to me to do that.

I don't understand why they would get rid of the FP line. I have heard this, but doesn't make sense to me to do that.

My understanding is that it's in preparation of moving the entrance to the new Toy Story Land. They are currently using an alternate entrance, and I think I read only 1 track will be open during the time of no FP+. Probably too low volume of riders to use FP+ at that point. I also heard potentially the whole attraction may close for a period of time.

When the new Toy Story Land opens, the entrance and exit to Toy Story Mania will be in the new area. The current entrance and exit will no longer be used.
There are 3 queues at TSM; Fastpass, Standby and a second Standby that opened about a 18 months ago.
From what I have read, that second Standby has already been switched to the new area. The reason for closing the FP line is so they can switch over the next queue to the new area without closing down the whole attraction.
Since there will be only one queue open, they would not be able to have Fastpass.

Once that switchover has been completed, the entire attraction will close for a while to make the final queue switch and get ready for the opening of Toy Story Land.

You are going end of May. Standby only is scheduled to end May 7th. Shouldnt be an issue for you

In Disneyland, we were taken through the exit for a good number of rides. But they don’t have as many FP attractions as WDW. I can’t imagine that they would not give out DAS Times for TSMM in a WDW....that would a horrendous decision. But if they do close FP, they probably have another plan in place for it and if anything like DL, they would use the exit. Basically, the rides that used the exits for DAS were the rides where those in wheelchairs or other mobility issues used the exit as well. But DL rides are not all mainstreamed for wheelchairs/ECVs so they need to use the exit.

Unless the entire attraction is closed after May 7th until the opening of the new Toy Story land.
I think that is the most likely from everything I’ve read. I have not read anything that says it will be open after May 7.

One of the earlier stories said TSM would have one queue closed for the switchover, but the FP and other line would be open during that time. Then, it would close completely to switch the Fastpass and other line over.

The later stories are what happened - one queue closed for the switchover, while Fastpass and other line remained open. Then Fastpass closed and there is only Standby.

Easy WDW.com posted some pictures of how Toy Story Mania is working since the shutdown of the Fastpass line.

The old entrance to TSM is closed and guests are entering thru a set of doors past the old entrance - for those familiar with with old attractions, those doors are between the old entrance and the old Entrance to the Backstage Tour.

The majority of the wait is outside of the building, with just a short narrow path inside that leads to the old Fastpass merge area. From that point, the attraction is the same as it was previously - with most guests going up the stairs that go over the track and those with mobility related disabilities/who can’t go up the stairs going to the right of the stairs to a ramp that leads to the track bypass.
The exit would be the same as it always has been.
From the pictures, the path that is open is actually the previous Fastpass line - the (closed) Standby line passed on the other side of the ‘cabin’ in the picture, which was where guests in the Standby line picked up their 3D glasses. The red rails in the photo with the ‘cabin’ are on the ramp that goes to the accessible boarding area.

Based on this, these are my possible guesses on what will happen with DAS during the partial shutdown:
1) Guests using DAS will be given a Return Time based on the current Standby Wait and will enter thru the new temporary entrance. This is a good possibility because the line inside is short and is able to access both the regular line which has stairs and the stair bypass to the accessible loading area.

2) Guests using DAS will be given a Return Time based on the current Standby Wait and will enter thru the exit. Load and unload occur at the same place, just on different sides of the track, so this is possible. I think this is UNLIKELY since it would complicate flow by moving people in & out thru the exit.
It would especially mess things up at the accessible boarding area because there would be people waiting in 2 places.

3) DAS not being offered during this time. That is a possibility - especially since it is a temporary situation during a partial shutdown.

0DC1BD84-5359-43B0-B273-7C06CCADA8D8.jpeg 5921C2BF-CF7A-4E93-97B5-AA2A6D14C51A.jpeg 8CEF9304-71D7-4433-847B-F65627EBB0E9.jpeg FA7BDEBE-9CA6-49D9-84BD-AD8B8788E234.jpeg CB56113F-1D95-41D8-B480-40093961C694.jpeg

Unless the entire attraction is closed after May 7th until the opening of the new Toy Story land.
Well if the whole attraction is closed (which is possible) that solves the DAS question. ;)
I hope they dont or keep it to a minimum. Isn't the only ride of the 4 rides in HS that doesnt have a height restriction?

Well if the whole attraction is closed (which is possible) that solves the DAS question. ;)
I hope they dont or keep it to a minimum. Isn't the only ride of the 4 rides in HS that doesnt have a height restriction?
It’s going to be a pretty big thing to move the entrance. The new entrance is going to be on the opposite side of the building, which has previously been backstage. This article shows the new entrance art: http://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories...-toy-story-land-at-disneys-hollywood-studios/

There are 3 queues at TSM; Fastpass, Standby and a second Standby that opened about a 18 months ago.

This just goes to show how non-observant I am! :scared: We've been to WDW twice in the past few months and I never even noticed. In November, we even rode TSM a couple of times during our visit and I still didn't notice anything different. This is a ride we always use a DAS for just due to the congestion of the area. My son cannot even go down there until it's time to ride. I go down to get a return time, but it's a very high anxiety spot, and I'm just concentrating on my mission and getting back out fast.

Even after riding, looked the same to me. Of course that is likely because I use an ECV and cannot do stairs on my best day, so we always use the ramp side and FP entrance.

@gatormom2tots - I hope the ride is open available via DAS when you go. I know my ASD son has always enjoyed this ride very much. I enjoy it, too, because I always win. I'm not much of a competitive person, but also not good at much, so I enjoy leaving my family, and everyone else on the ride, in my dust. :P

Last edited:
This just goes to show how non-observant I am! :scared: We've been to WDW twice in the past few months and I never even noticed. In November, we even rode TSM a couple of times during our visit and I still didn't notice anything different. This is a ride we always use a DAS for just due to the congestion of the area. My son cannot even go down there until it's time to ride. I go down to get a return time, but it's a very high anxiety spot, and I'm just concentrating on my mission and getting back out fast.

Even after riding, looked the same to me. Of course that is likely because I use an ECV and cannot do stairs on my best day, so we always use the ramp side and FP entrance.
Actually, you are not as un-observant as you think.
The 3rd line split off from the Standby line near the Fastpoint merge point. So, unless you were in the Standby line, you would never have seen it.
Plus, it opened sometime in mid 2016, so if you were in the Standby line earlier than that, it didn’t exist.

It is definitely something that can be handled, DCA's version was able to accommodate DAS returns before it had FP, it just means they may have to get creative as to how they handle the returning guests.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!