DAS question

ilanakan

DIS Veteran
I have just been diagnosed with IBS and also Disc Displasia. Standing in line for long times can be entailed with excruciating back and stomach pain or even the need to leave the line (rest room needs). Would I be eligible for DAS?

I have just been diagnosed with IBS and also Disc Displasia. Standing in line for long times can be entailed with excruciating back and stomach pain or even the need to leave the line (rest room needs). Would I be eligible for DAS?

I was granted DAS for very similar reasons, that I wouldn’t be able to stand inline for extended periods without going to the toilet and because of generalised back discomfort when standing from a car accident.

I wouldn’t have thought you’d have any issues with eligibility since standing in a line is something that would be difficult for you.

The only thing I’d say is that DAS gives access to the Fast Pass line at a certain time, it doesn’t give instant access to the ride, you still may have to queue in this line, especially for bigger rides, for up to 20 minutes potentially. This wasn’t a problem for me, just something to be aware of.

I was granted DAS for very similar reasons, that I wouldn’t be able to stand inline for extended periods without going to the toilet and because of generalised back discomfort when standing from a car accident.

I wouldn’t have thought you’d have any issues with eligibility since standing in a line is something that would be difficult for you.

The only thing I’d say is that DAS gives access to the Fast Pass line at a certain time, it doesn’t give instant access to the ride, you still may have to queue in this line, especially for bigger rides, for up to 20 minutes potentially. This wasn’t a problem for me, just something to be aware of.
Thanks. I think I can withstand a 15-20 minute wait. It's the longer waits that are really bad for me. I'm hoping that going in Sep will mean little less crowds too, so shorter wait times.

You will need to go to GR and explain your concerns as it has to do with waiting in lines things lime I can not stand for too long or walk for too long are normally told to use a mobility device ( wheelchair ECV or roller). The CM do not care about your DX just your concerns.

You will need to go to GR and explain your concerns as it has to do with waiting in lines things lime I can not stand for too long or walk for too long are normally told to use a mobility device ( wheelchair ECV or roller). The CM do not care about your DX just your concerns.
So what is it that I have to say to them? Concerns that I will have to leave the line because of stomach problems & extensive back pain while not being mobile?

So what is it that I have to say to them? Concerns that I will have to leave the line because of stomach problems & extensive back pain while not being mobile?

On this site we can not tell you what to say as two people with the same problem can have different concerns this is something you will need to think about. What would happen if your in line for too long? What will you be doing while you wait for your return time?

You tell them the reason you can’t wait in line.
Be aware that on the more popular attractions you will be waiting in line for more than 15 minutes but usually not more than 30 minutes.

If standing still is a problem, you might want to avoid the attractions with preshows - you'd be waiting in a queue for a bit then expected to stand pretty still while the preshow happens.

Earlier this year I had multiple smaller strokes due to an injury in the arteries of my neck. There are some rides I avoid since its a newer injury but I did get a DAS at Christmas. I currently get really light headed with standing for to long and not being able to sit, as well as some other little things. I also went with my nephew who gets a das for autism. Technically they are not supposed to ask you specifics because of HIPPA but they may say things like "what about waiting in line is hard"? They are typically really nice about it. Just be nice to them and answer any questions. I didn't have an issue and it was super crowded with people waiting to talk to guest services.

Earlier this year I had multiple smaller strokes due to an injury in the arteries of my neck. There are some rides I avoid since its a newer injury but I did get a DAS at Christmas. I currently get really light headed with standing for to long and not being able to sit, as well as some other little things. I also went with my nephew who gets a das for autism. Technically they are not supposed to ask you specifics because of HIPPA but they may say things like "what about waiting in line is hard"? They are typically really nice about it. Just be nice to them and answer any questions. I didn't have an issue and it was super crowded with people waiting to talk to guest services.
Many people think it is because of HIPAA, but the actual reason is that the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) says people can’t be asked about their disability and proof can’t be required in order to get accommodation for a disability. They are allowed to ask what assistance is needed or what issues the disability creates.

I am not 100% clear on your post. Does the back/ stomach pain result from standing? If so is a mobility issue, and you will be referred to a wheel chiar or ECV for that. If STANDING is the root issue, and you cannot do more than 15 minutes I strongly suggest a wheelchair or ECV as even with a DAS you are likely to have to stand longer than that a some point. If having to leave the line for the restroom is the issue, a DAS may be more appropriate.

I am not 100% clear on your post. Does the back/ stomach pain result from standing? If so is a mobility issue, and you will be referred to a wheel chiar or ECV for that. If STANDING is the root issue, and you cannot do more than 15 minutes I strongly suggest a wheelchair or ECV as even with a DAS you are likely to have to stand longer than that a some point. If having to leave the line for the restroom is the issue, a DAS may be more appropriate.
It's a combination. IBS plus a back problem that means I can't sit long or stand long. I have to get up and walk around. That combined with the stomach problem.

It's a combination. IBS plus a back problem that means I can't sit long or stand long. I have to get up and walk around. That combined with the stomach problem.
The ECV or wheel chair might be a good option then, and if the stomach problem is really kicking up combine it with a DAS. Having an ECV or wheel chair will give you the option to sit or stand to wait in line swapping if you need to, and even with a DAS you are going to have to wait in some fastpass lines longer than 15min, wait for pre shows ect. Walking is best for my back issues too rather than sitting or standing, but Disney just isn't conducive to that sometimes. There are going to be static, non moving lines at time no matter what you do, and I have found that sometimes i have to shift between standing and sitting on the ECV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts