Data while in the US.

SkaGoat

DIS Veteran
We are Rogers customers. What is the cheapest way for us to have data while in the states?

Is roam like home the best option? or should we look into something else?

I have used Roam mobility. You get 500mb per day, but all at once. so gone 4 days 2 gig to use. It works out to $5per day and you get a US#,
Rogers I think is about 7 per day and use your data that you have. So depends if having a US# is a bother to you.

For C$7/day (up to a max of C$105/billing cycle), Roam Like Home is certainly the most hassle-free option for a Rogers customer (and it's what I use). I personally like not being obligated to hand out a new number to friends/family just because I'm travelling.

There are some slightly cheaper options, but not as hassle-free.

I like Roam for a longer trip. We had a five day wedding trip to NY state this past October, and 10 days in Florida as well. I purchased the Roam Mobility monthly plan for $39.95 and just popped the ROAM sim card in when we were crossing the border. It wasn't inconvenient for me at all and it was a heck of a lot less than the $8 per day I was going to have to pay with Virgin Mobile. I don't text a ton of people while I am away, and this is a way to reach me if they have to. I guess it depends how you use your phone and where you are willing to spend extra.

I have used roam mobility and also Rogers roam like home. I just calculate which is the cheaper option.

Wi-fi at WDW is pretty decent and I usually don't need data, but wi-fi at DLR is bad and I need data every day, especially when using MaxPass. Roam mobility worked great at DLR this past summer when we were there. Just remember you have to change sim cards and anyone that wants to contact you will now incur long distance charges as you will have a US number. If that doesn't matter, it is a great option.

MostSim cards (you can find them on Amazon) work out to less than $4 /day with unlimited data.

I haven't used them before but am planning to get one for my upcoming trip in March.

There are tons of reviews on them and they seem solid for the most part.

I just use Roam like Home...though I didn't know they increased the max to $105 - annoying! I'll consider something else when we go for a longer trip.

Over the years I have tried them all. Was a big fan of ROAM Mobility for a long time, but when Rogers started with Roam Like Home I started using that. I agree that the prices are getting a bit out-of-hand (started at $5/d to compete with the RM), but the convenience factor is great. You DO get better service with Rogers; it actually roams on multiple carriers; ATT and T-Mobile come up most often, whereas RM is only T-Mobile with struggles for connection in some areas (parts of Disney and Universal both had issues).

We usually only have one device (my phone) roaming when down there to limit charges. DW keeps her phone to airplane mode + Wi-Fi only unless we are splitting up, and I take the SIM card out of my tablet. That limits us to mostly $7/d charge.

Also, be aware of your billing cycle close date when calculating maximums. It resets on your billing date, not the first of the month.

I used Roam Mobility during the 2019 January trip in Miami and Key West. It was good. Before that, I had used Roam Like Home at WDW and UO. There was no issue too. I am going to try out Roam Mobility first before a cruise in December at WDW. If it’s good then we will use it after the cruise. Otherwise, we will use Roam Like Home.

I have a Rogers Business account, so Roam like Home isn't an option. I have used Roam Mobility for a few years now. I think as long as you use it once a year, you keep the same number. You don't have any access to your Canadian texts/calls, so if somebody needs to get a hold of you, they need to use a text app (Facebook Messenger or WhatsApp) or know your US Number.
As I mostly want data, i either use the $5/day for a shorter trip, or the $20 for 1GB for a week.

Senior here, with a cellphone question, so be gentle. We rarely use our cell phone, the only thing we'll use it for in Florida is to get an Lyft on 3 different occasions over 3 months. We don't text or call home (just use email on wi-fi). We keep it on Airplane mode all the time. We will also be receiving "push notifications" from the new Star Wars ride (hopefully). What phone charges will we incur? We are with Virgin.
Thanks,
Tony

If you keep your phone on Airplane mode all the time you won't be able to receive the Star Wars notification. It will need to be on wifi while in the park for that one.

Virgin prepaid or post paid because it makes a difference? If prepaid, unless you pre pay for US service (and I'm not certain it's available to you) it's like your Canadian account doesn't exist so keeping your phone on wifi won't be a problem. Post paid check out this site

Thanks. So if I keep my phone on airplane mode and turn on wifi, I can still receive the push notifications without any charges?

Thanks. So if I keep my phone on airplane mode and turn on wifi, I can still receive the push notifications without any charges?

Yes. that's what I do at Disney :) Use the free wifi and leave the plane in airplane with wifi on.

I live in the Detroit suburbs and go to Canada often. Our phone plan through Verizon allows an add on that charges us $2 per day that we use data in Canada ($5 in Europe). We have it on all of our children's phones in case of emergency, but they are instructed to only use wifi while out of the country. It gives me peace of mind that their phones will be fully functional if necessary. At Disney (and on planes), we generally find the wifi to be more than adequate. I would assume that your carrier has a similar option for the US.

Yes. Airplane mode turns off all "cellular" communication (data, texts and calls). With just wifi on your phone is like walking around the park with a laptop (but much smaller)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter