Dated merchandise on a New Year's cruise

Ray LeBlanc

Earning My Ears
We are a little over 18 months out, so no big rush here, but I'm curious what DCL does on a cruise that begins in one year and ends in another. We're on the Wonder Dec. 27, 2019 through Jan. 3, 2020. We always spend too much time/money in Disney gift shops, and usually purchase a few items featuring the year.

Should we expect low inventory levels of 2019 merch? Any discounts on 2019 once we hit 2020? A full slate of 2020 merch on Jan. 1? Special/limited edition items for New Year's (maybe for a new decade)?

I was on the Dec 30, 2016 - Jan 6, 2017 Wonder sailing. I saw nothing in the shops that said 2016, and nothing that referenced NYE. We got a Christmas ornament that has 2017 on it. It sounded like it's hit or miss, ship by ship and year by year. They don't make an effort to restock the ending year items at a certain point, but if it hasn't sold - it'll be there.

We've been on cruises in November where there is no merchandise for the current year and it's all next year's already.

I was on the December 8th cruise out of Galveston last year....while it wasn't specifically a year shirt, I noticed that at different times on different days things would be marked on clearance. I got one of those Spirit Jerseys but for DCL "ugly sweater" pattern on super clearance! It was one of a few left which is why I think it was discounted.

I too was on the NYE trip. I wanted something from both years. If you want something from 2019 you should find a person traveling on the Wonder that year that will pick up items for you earlier in the year. I had to do this for one of my trips 2013/14 because after Thanksgiving the current year can be sold out.

I went to the Black Friday sale in 2010 and stuff flew out of the gift shop! So find a person early.

I might be on the Wonder 1/9/19 with my daughter and parents. At least that’s what the reservation currently is for, although my parents will not be going now. There’s a 60% chance DD and I will go, depends on her college work. There’s a chance I may not be able to get 2019 merchandise then because I’m too early.

Last edited:
Wow, I had no idea they could sell out of dated merchandise in November! That's good to know. I won't expect to see much with 2019 on it then.

We are going on Fantasy in February 2019, so we'll pick up any 2019 merch then, and hopefully have a good selection of 2020 merch during the New Year's cruise.

All helpful info--thanks everybody!

Hello, we were on the Magic for Christmas 2016 and New Years cruise right after that. They did not have a special NYE pin as my daughter collects them. She was disappointed. They removed all the Christmas merchandise and ginger bread house. We saw them smashing it:( There was no sign of Christmas. They put out 2017 merchandise in the shops. Hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise.:o

I was on an early December Wonder cruise and all the current year merchandise was half off - we got some great things at bargain prices! Sounds like my experience was similar to Mama MeBow

OK so this thread got the wife in a tizzy. Is there a Black Friday sale on the ship? We will be on the Fantasy for Thanksgiving this year. Castaway Cay is on Black Friday.

So is there a Black Friday sale on cruise? What would that mean? She looks forward to getting up early on Black Friday and going shopping so being on the ship for Black Friday would cap a great week for her.

Thanks!

FWIW - I did the Castaway 5K on Jan 1, 2016. We were given both 2015 medals (as they had leftovers from the year) and 2016 medals (since it was technically 2016). I honestly don't remember the dated merchandise in the gift shops - we were more into Star Wars Day at Sea merchandise b/c it was already in stock for the upcoming SW cruises. I do love that my daughter and I have both of those medals though.

OK so this thread got the wife in a tizzy. Is there a Black Friday sale on the ship? We will be on the Fantasy for Thanksgiving this year. Castaway Cay is on Black Friday.

So is there a Black Friday sale on cruise? What would that mean? She looks forward to getting up early on Black Friday and going shopping so being on the ship for Black Friday would cap a great week for her.

Thanks!
I got to thinking about you sailing and remembered that they will not have the gift shop open while you are near a port. We were at sea for our Black Friday sale. Although you should get a Black Friday CC day. I remember our sale very early in the morning, just incase they offered it prior to port arrival. Maybe they will offer a later sale that evening???

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter