Day One - What do you do?

ahain

Thankful & Blessed
In the spirit of happy, warm-fuzzy posts, I thought I'd start up another "what do you do the first day of your cruise" post.

For me, the entire cruise is one big guilty pleasure! From the moment I set foot on the ship, I am treated like royalty. I don't cook or clean. My family thinks the MDR food is wonderful. Although we're pretty low-maintenance passengers, the staff has always gone out of their way to take care of us and make us feel special. Beyond that, there are several things we can't wait to do/experience each cruise. Although they might seem piddly to some, they are things that we really look forward to and make us feel "on vacation:"

1. I love to arrive at the cruise terminal as early as possible to read the navigator and just soak-in the ambiance. On a recent, we stayed at the Hyatt in MCO airport and were on the first Disney Transport to the port in the morning. I was the first one through security. I rode the escalator up and it was like magic. As I rose, I began to see 2 cast members standing at the top of the escalator welcoming us and waving their Mickey gloved hands. The beautiful, empty terminal room came into view - almost like a surreal dream. It was amazing to see it totally empty except cast members. It was totally awesome!

2. My eyes mist up the first time I see the ship - whether the night before or the morning of the cruise. Then, it happens again when we enter the atrium and I feel the incredible swell of gratitude and contentment come over me when they announce, "Disney Fantasy, welcome the Hain family!"

3. We head to guest services to take care of any necessary details (tickets for tour/events, etc) then we head straight upstairs to the buffet, which is usually just opening up. We fill up our thermo-mugs (that we brought with us) with pop and grab a table outdoors against the railing so we have an amazing view of the area and can feel the sun on our faces (we're from Michigan, so in the winter, warmth from the sun feels absolutely luxurious!), and then we “tie the food bag on!” DH LOVES the peel & eat shrimp, DD loves the chicken tenders & mac 'n cheese, and I pretty much graze on everything!

4. Once the rooms open up, we quickly unpack & sometimes we order the "All Hands on Deck" cheese platter and some Mickey bars. Mickey bars are one of the highlights of any Disney Cruise or trip to WDW for DH, so we'll have them several times during a cruise, and DH even requests them for dessert in the MDRs sometimes!

5. We pretty much stay up on deck throughout the entire sail away party (sometimes we hear to the bow to watch us sail out of the channel) & until we are well out of the harbor and into open water. One of my favorite moments of the entire cruise is when they blow the ship's horn the first time and I hear, "...when you wish upon a star...." Makes me cry EVERY time! It causes me to reflect on how incredibly blessed we are to be happy & healthy, and financially to be able to take these wonderful vacations. When I was a child, we grew up happy (single mom, 3 kids), but financially my family was near poverty, so we would never have been able to even THINK about a Florida vacation, let alone a Disney Cruise. I am so grateful!

6. If we will be booking a placeholder during the cruise, I will look through the navigator and will find the very first time that the booking desk will be open. I will arrive there 15-20 minutes prior and wait for the CM to arrive. I like to have that checked off my list and done before the lines get longer later in the cruise.

It will be almost a year until our next cruise - DH and I are booked on the 2018 WBPC. I literally can't wait!

Great thread! I look forward to the replies!

We arrive, check in and board with Boarding #1. We go right to the buffet and usually have to wait a bit for it to open up. We love it then as it is not crowded at all. After we eat, the kids usually take off so DH and I will go to the adult pool bar and start off the cruise with a BBC. It's become our tradition! We will also go to Guest Services or the booking desk if we need to take care of any business (booking the 5K, tastings, applying gift cards, etc..)

At 1:30 we go to the room to drop off the bags and check it out. Often we will meet up with the kids then too. If its a nice day I will try to get in some pool time but I also like to get the unpacking done before the life boat drill so once the bags show up, I get going on that.

After the drill we all head up to the sail away party, and after that DH and I will usually stop in at the adult pool bar again, before getting ready for dinner. Since we have sailed quite a bit we usually skip the 1st night show now so we aren't rushed.

The night consists of dinner and then some time enjoying the adult activities. The kids usually leave dinner early so they can get to their groups and meet other kids.

After going over that in my mind I am really wishing August 5th will come quickly!

I love this type of post!

1. We arrive to port by 10:15 to 10:30 (we live 45 minutes away) ,check in and wait for BG 1 to be called.
2. Bypass the pictures and head straight for the welcome home crew. It is always wonderful to be recognized by CM's from prior cruises by name...which is usually the folks from the Bingo team. lol ( I might have a Bingo problem)
3. Go to the aft elevators and up to Cabanas to settle at a table and put the carryon bags down. Grab a couple of drinks and wait for the buffet to officially open. Usually we run into more CM's that we like to chat with.
4. After lunch, head to the adult beverage seminar sign ups to get my DH registered for Cognac and Whiskey tastings. Those are his favorites. :) Also, if we have any Palo changes we go deal with those.
5. Go to the MDR that is look to see where our table is and if it is a 4 top or not.
6. Go up to the Spa and get the length of cruise Rainforest pass for DH and I.
7. If it is 1:30 we head to the cabin and unload the carryons and check out the action on the dock (we get starboard verandah cabins) Take LOTS of pictures of the process of luggage being loaded, K9's and trucks arriving and departing.
8 When the luggage arrives I send the kids and hubby to go play while I unpack to my OCD hearts delight. :) The kids check into Vibe (they actually hardly go there) but at least they are set with the cool black cards if they do.
9. Time for a nice drink (or a few) with my DH while the kids explore.
10. Lifeboat drill...always a thrill
11. We head either to Deck 11 for Sailaway or wave from the verandah ( we prefer Deck 10 all the way forward)

And there is our little embarkation day routine. :)

We've done different arrival times and some concierge, but I'll use our last cruise as a template.

Arrive at port and check in.
Take picture with character in port.
Walk onto gangway.
Pass boarding photo because DD is hangry.
Lunch at sit down restaurant so we can relax. Also use this time to set up Navigator app.
Make Palo changes as needed.
Head to room when open. We will order an extra drink at lunch if we are early.
Last time DD napped, but I suspect those days are over so we will see what we do until muster.
Unpack as suitcases arrive.
Muster drill.
Sail away show.
Finish unpacking.
Dinner.
Get DD registered for club when I take her up after she finishes eating. No line!
Have an adult cocktail, fill out breakfast order, head to bed.

This time, we have late dining so I will get a band for DD before dinner so she can just leave with dine and play.

Oh this is so much fun! I'm sailing from Barcelona in September and have already thought through my plan!
  • Arrive at terminal
  • Check in
  • Read navigator
  • Shop - there is a souvenir shop and 2 alcohol shops so going to get some wine and probably postcard/magnet for the family/myself
  • Photo - I do like the welcome photo as says the cruise and where its sailing to
  • Board
  • Lunch - Carioca's as I want to try the sit down lunch and can't cope with Cabanas with my bad eyesight if there is crowds
  • Might then go and book some alcohol tastings (depends on what's on offer)
  • Hopefully room will be ready to drop off bag
  • Walking ship tour - although I've sailed on the Magic loads I do love this tour
  • Spa raffle
  • Meet & Greet with other cruisers in Promanade Lounge
  • Lifeboat drill
  • Sailaway with a cocktail (and possibly grab some pizza or a shawarma wrap)
  • Unpack
  • Show
  • Dinner
  • Sleep

Last edited:

Arrive at port early (usually 10:30 PAT)
Kill time by getting kids' bands.
Board, take boarding picture because this is DH's favorite for some reason.
Head to whatever bar to sign up for tastings (also DH's favorite!)
Cabanas for lunch
Pool for a cocktail (usually lava flow)
Head to room when ready
Send DH and boys up to pool while I unpack/sit on veranda in peace.
Sail away either from top deck or verdanda (party is too crowded!)
Relax!

Loving this. We are getting prepared for our cruise soon. We have only done one other DCL cruise, so we don't have a routine yet. I know I will be getting pressed pennies from the terminal, either before or after checkin. We didn't swim on the first day last time, so I want to hit that ASAP. We will have eaten a big buffet breakfast already, so that we can hold out for food later or maybe even just a snack, especially since we have early seating. Definitely going to register for some tastings again. We will go with DS to check out the kids club again and the Edge for the first time. I still don't know which one he's going to want to hang out in more. I think that's really all we have planned. Looking forward to chilling on the verandah, having a drink, with Disney music from the TV, as Port Canaveral disappears in the distance:boat:

Great thread! I look forward to the replies!

We arrive, check in and board with Boarding #1. We go right to the buffet and usually have to wait a bit for it to open up. We love it then as it is not crowded at all. After we eat, the kids usually take off so DH and I will go to the adult pool bar and start off the cruise with a BBC. It's become our tradition! We will also go to Guest Services or the booking desk if we need to take care of any business (booking the 5K, tastings, applying gift cards, etc..)

At 1:30 we go to the room to drop off the bags and check it out. Often we will meet up with the kids then too. If its a nice day I will try to get in some pool time but I also like to get the unpacking done before the life boat drill so once the bags show up, I get going on that.

After the drill we all head up to the sail away party, and after that DH and I will usually stop in at the adult pool bar again, before getting ready for dinner. Since we have sailed quite a bit we usually skip the 1st night show now so we aren't rushed.

The night consists of dinner and then some time enjoying the adult activities. The kids usually leave dinner early so they can get to their groups and meet other kids.

After going over that in my mind I am really wishing August 5th will come quickly!

Are you on the WC Fantasy out of PC on 8/5 too? :wave2: It's getting close:jumping2:

Read the navigator while we wait for our group to get called up. Get tickets for characters and tastings. Eat. Spa raffle. Tour if we want to. Bon voyage drinks. Once our room is ready unpack. Meet host or hostess. Sail away party.

As a side note, you can now book Character breakfasts, Anna and Elsa meet and greet and Princess gathering meet and greets ahead of time online. Unless, you book last minute (like we do at times) and you cannot find any of those available. :)

We board as early as possible and head straight for the pools, which is pretty much the only time during the cruise that they really look inviting, imo. They're quite enjoyable to swim in when no one else is in them. We only do the Caribbean cruises in winter, and I totally agree with the OP that the sensation of warmth in winter is wonderful to indulge in. Even though we're from Texas, lol.

We then go on the Aqua Duck or Dunk, whatever water slide is available. Then we grab some food from one of the pool deck restaurants. We don't go straight to our cabin asap. We enjoy the pool deck for a few hours, first. By sticking to the pool deck, we avoid the crowds at the buffet and in the hallways when they first open up the cabins. Makes everything feel more relaxed.

At some point during all this, I have to stop and go to Dining Changes as soon as it opens up...so annoying to break the carefree arrival spirit, but it's always a necessity for us...

Last edited:
Loving this. We are getting prepared for our cruise soon. We have only done one other DCL cruise, so we don't have a routine yet. I know I will be getting pressed pennies from the terminal, either before or after checkin. We didn't swim on the first day last time, so I want to hit that ASAP. We will have eaten a big buffet breakfast already, so that we can hold out for food later or maybe even just a snack, especially since we have early seating. Definitely going to register for some tastings again. We will go with DS to check out the kids club again and the Edge for the first time. I still don't know which one he's going to want to hang out in more. I think that's really all we have planned. Looking forward to chilling on the verandah, having a drink, with Disney music from the TV, as Port Canaveral disappears in the distance:boat:

Are you on the WC Fantasy out of PC on 8/5 too? :wave2: It's getting close:jumping2:

Yes I am! :wave: And yes, it has just starting hitting me how close we are getting and how fast the next 6 weeks are going to go. :hyper:

Embarkation is my favorite day (well, Castaway Cay is also my favorite day - so I guess I have 2). Anyway - we get to the terminal around 10:30 and check in. We are platinum so luckily get to board in Group 1, which is a nice perk. We enjoy all the excitement in the terminal as it fills up. When we board we split up with my husband and daughter (and anyone else with us) going up to Cabanas with the bags and me getting in line at guest services to book things.

Lunch at Cabanas and then up to Palo/Remy to see if anyone is there and if CMs we got to know from prior cruises are on board (we love the adult dining and go as often as possible). Our daughter usually goes to the pool with a friend (we often sail with a family from FL and our kids are buddies) and we go to the adult pool bar for a sparkling wine and then to the spa to get a Rainforest Room pass for the cruise.

Until rooms are ready, I like to just walk along deck 11 and look at all the smiling faces and happy families. Everything is still shiny and new and no one is fighting yet and it's just captivating and contagious.

When they open up, we dump bags in room and break out some more wine we brought onboard. Back out to walk around some more to soak in all the happiness and periodically check to see if luggage has arrived. Start to unpack once bags arrive. Sit on balcony and just relax until sail away. We usually sit on balcony if sailing out of Port Canaveral. If NYC, we are on deck to enjoy seeing the City and Statue of Liberty.

After sail away, we usually go to the Rainforest Room during first dinner (we generally skip the shows) and then off to dinner. If no child, we eat at Palo on first night.

After dinner, stroll on deck 11 to see what's on the big screen and to get some hot tea to take back to the room.

PERFECT DAY!!!

Last edited:
We are going to do things a little different for our cruise in February coming. We live two hours from the port, so we just drive up and park, but I find it tedious hauling hand luggage around until the cabins open at 1:30. So, we will leave the house at 9:30 or so, and arrive at the port around 11:30. Go over to the "Cove" area (think Fishlips and other places to eat) an have a nice lunch and a couple drinks, and watch the water in the channel. Leave there about 1pm and drive over to the port, drop luggage and take the truck into the ramp. Then walk over to the counter and get paperwork done and walk straight onto the ship, and make our way to Deck 9, to our aft facing balcony cabin, that will be available at that time. Drop hand luggage and then go and get a good look around the ship, and see about meeting some of the folks from out social media group that I have been following for the past nine months or so...

Tom in Okeechobee, FL

We usually do a pre-cruise stay at WDW, but get our own transportation so we can leave the resort by 9:30. We try to book a character breakfast so we can start our cruise day off with a fun event. On the way to the port we make a grocery stop for water and wine, and then arrive at the port around 11 a.m. Once we are checked in, I feel like we are really cruising. If we are lucky enough to have characters around, we'll get a picture or two. We always have themed tee shirts and always look forward to the embarkation picture as it is my favorite souvenir (especially since they started enhancing them with port info and dates). After that glorious moment of entering the atrium (it never gets old), we hang back to take pictures up and down the halls of the shops and areas people-free, then head to the embarkation lunch. We try to go to the MDR, but now that they don't do buffet, will probably head to Cabana. After that, we always get a drink of the day and then head to our rooms. First thing we do is take pictures of everything before we mess it up, take pictures from the balcony of all our views, then we put as much away as possible before heading upstairs for more pics and ambiance.

After the drill, we dash to our room to unpack (if suitcases have arrived) and order the cheese platter (our favorite indulgence). Our first eight cruises we enjoyed the sailaway very much and thought it truly put you in a vacation party mood. No other line does it like Disney. Everyone waving onshore and the music -- we always try to be on the upper decks so we can wave back!

However, for the past two cruises we chose to do it a little differently and stayed on our balcony and watched the land go by as we sailed out. It was gloriously relaxing and quiet and we sat with drink in hand with the cheese platter and other goodies. Can't beat it!

My first time on a cruise was the Wonder in 2000, and I cried when I crossed into the atrium. Since then, I still get an emotional excitement about the whole thing and hope I never grow out of it or it becomes too routine!

Last edited:
This is based on NYC departures as this port has been used more frequently by us in recent years.

1. Shower and get ready to go while my husband drinks his gallon of coffee.

2. While my husband gets ready, make sure that the fridge is emptied of things that won’t last and take out the recycling.

3. Take my suitcase down to the car.

4. If he’s still getting ready and done packing his suitcase, take his suitcase down to the car, too.

5. (It takes him a long time to get ready.)

6. Take out the regular trash.

7. Gather up our day bags, check that everything is shut off, and get in the car at least 15-30 minutes later than I wanted to leave.

8. I drive the short distance to the port. If there is traffic, I start to get snarky about leaving later. I was born to arrive at the time for which I planned (literally…I was born the date I was due).

9. Arrive at the Manhattan cruise terminal, go through the car security inspection, drop my husband and the bags off near the elevator, and find a parking spot.

10. If the porter is around, we hand off our bags with a tip. If no porter is around (as in 2012), we took our bags down to be collected.

11. Enter the cruise terminal and go through security. Then take the long walk to check in and get in line. (This year we are taking our first cruise as platinum so we’ll see if our line experience is different.)

12. Find a seat in the terminal and watch people crowd around the boarding entrance once boarding numbers are called. Also take this time to review our first Navigator.

13. Skip all terminal and boarding photos, but I might change that up this year unbeknownst to my husband.

14. Have our first names announced upon boarding (different last names) and head towards Carioca’s. However, we like the buffet the first day so we will probably take our chances and head up to Cabanas next cruise.

15. Eat lunch and then wait for our stateroom to open up. When it does, we drop off our day bags and use the in-room facilities. When I’m done, I find my husband checking the channels on the TV for sports updates.

16. While he is indisposed, I head up to deck 10 and enjoy the view, weather permitting. I wander around a bit either inside or outside.

17. Head to the muster drill a little early so we can get our room key scanned. We’ve been lucky in that our muster drill has been in Animator’s the last few times so we find a seat and wait.

18. If luggage is delivered, we unpack.

19. Husband gets a snack at Daisy D’lites to tide him over until dinner.

20. Have our first meal in the MDR. Next cruise our first meal will be in Palo, but we made it early enough so that we could head to the MDR afterwards and meet our tablemates (if any) and our serving team (if unable to get who we requested).

Sweet thread! I'm not as seasoned a cruiser as most on these forums but I will put in my 2 cents.. We boarded the ship, and headed for Cabanas, we were starved by the time we finally got on. We had a huge lunch then went up to the top deck to look around the ship and catch some views of the port from on high.

After that we went and checked out the kids clubs and toured the ship a bit more. At some point we went back to our cabin and only my girlfriend's suitcase was there not mine :( I THINK we caught up with a tour that was currently in progress and after that was the muster drill, we were in the Walt Disney theater which was nice because it was REALLY HOT that day and some poor souls were out in the sun!

Took a dip in the adult pool after that before getting ready for our first show of the night, which was like a variety show, little snippets from all shows on the ship, then we had an amazing dinner at Cariocas!

Edit: Hmm... Sail Away Party on deck is somewhere mixed in there...

My usual is...

* Wake up WAY too early. Have breakfast at the hotel (usually I'm at the Hampton Inn Gateway near MCO...or I try to stay at a Hampton Inn somewhere if it's domestic). Go back and brush my teeth and pack up any last-minute stuff I unpacked.

* Check to make sure I have all the cruise documentation I need.

* Go downstairs to wait for the shuttle to the airport for the DCL bus (or a shuttle to the port or a Lyft if in Miami).

* Recheck to make sure I have all the documents where I can access them.

* Take shuttle to MCO and wait for the bus to Port Canaveral (or take shuttle or Lyft to port if in Miami).

* Get to port and check in - keeping only a backpack and small purse, checking the other bag(s). Wander outside on the viewing deck. Wander inside. Look at the Navigator. Wander some more.

* Board when my group (usually 2 or 3) is called. If I'm solo, I usually skip the boarding picture, but in Feb I made my parents stop and we got a really cute picture.

* Give them my name and cry like a dork when announced. In Feb, Darrell thought I was sad and jumped out of his place in the applaud line to hug me and say "It's ok!! It'll be ok!!" I had to convince him they were happy tears. :) Must work on not crying that much from now on - tearing up is ok, full-out crying gets people thinking something's wrong...at least with me.

* If I am going to put a gift card on my account and the line isn't long at guest services, I'll go ahead and go there. But after buying the OBC this last cruise, I think I'll do that from now on. Much easier.

* Go to Cabanas - and now talk with someone about my gluten-free thing and get walked around, then order some chicken fingers and fries from the back. Get my plate and eat - usually outside if it's not raining like it was in February.

* Finish eating and head to Tastings sign up to sign up for one or two of those.

* Head to where they are doing dining changes to confirm that gluten-free is listed (also on my Palo reservation). After my last solo on DCL where they did a solo table dump, I'll be checking to ensure I'm seated by myself if at all possible. (It was just awkward and NOT the magical matching Disney seems to do so well with families. They literally took the 3 people cruising solo and dumped us at one table.)

* Wander around until cabins are ready.

* Go to my cabin and unpack my backpack. So far I've had good luck with my luggage getting there very close to cabin availability, so I unpack that as well.

* Walk around and take pictures until Muster.

* Muster

* Go upstairs for the Sail Away party - hanging on the deck above the pool deck to stay out of the mosh pit.

Then it can change up a little depending on the length of cruise. If it's a 7-night, I'm more inclined to skip night one knowing it's usually an ad for what we're already on. If it's a shorter cruise with one of the production shows on night one, I'll go to that.

For February, since it's a 7-night, my plan is to book Palo for the first night (and Pirate night since you can book 2 if you book for night 1) hopefully early enough to where I can go and meet my servers - and order my food for the following night.

* Weather-permitting, I'll take a walk either up top or on the promenade deck to enjoy the sea air and work off some dinner.

* Go back to my cabin and let myself be rocked to sleep by the motion of the ocean.

* Wake up WAY too early. Have breakfast at the hotel (usually I'm at the Hampton Inn Gateway near MCO...or I try to stay at a Hampton Inn somewhere if it's domestic). Go back and brush my teeth and pack up any last-minute stuff I unpacked.

Oh yeah, I forgot the part of my Day 1 routine where I wake up frequently all through the night because I am way too excited and then eventually give up and just get out of bed.

* Give them my name and cry like a dork when announced. In Feb, Darrell thought I was sad and jumped out of his place in the applaud line to hug me and say "It's ok!! It'll be ok!!" I had to convince him they were happy tears. :) Must work on not crying that much from now on - tearing up is ok, full-out crying gets people thinking something's wrong...at least with me.

* Go back to my cabin and let myself be rocked to sleep by the motion of the ocean.

I surprised myself by how much I blubbered when we crossed that bridge heading for the doorway. I didn't realize how much sailing meant to me and finally being on a ship. Plus the Wonder was so classy looking and regal it felt even more special and I imagined how cruising was in the old days.

But then again, I cried like a baby in 1984 when my husband finally took me to WDW and we entered Magic Kingdom -- but those tears were because it was my Dad's dream to take me there and he got sick before he could. No matter how old I get, I'm never going to let myself be embarrassed because an event or a place brings me to tears -- that's part of the joy of travel when it means that much ;)

And oh yeah to the bolded comment -- that motion is a huge "amenity" to us -- we love that comfort feeling of being rocked by the ship. I know I could easily live on a ship (I LOVE the ocean). :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter