Day One - What do you do?

Loved reading everyone's posts so far! Going on my first Disney cruise in January and still so unsure of what the best plan is for us. We are staying at WDW before so I'm torn between spending the morning at WDW versus going to the port early!! So many decisions. But I love reading what you all do!!

Loved reading everyone's posts so far! Going on my first Disney cruise in January and still so unsure of what the best plan is for us. We are staying at WDW before so I'm torn between spending the morning at WDW versus going to the port early!! So many decisions. But I love reading what you all do!!

We tried that once -- don't try to squeeze in a park visit in the morning. It can become very hectic with trying to get transportation and trying to get time in the park. It makes for a frantic start to your cruise day. Book a character breakfast at a resort and relax there, then go back to your room to get ready to leave for the port. That way you can just enjoy the morning without the park crowds.

We tried that once -- don't try to squeeze in a park visit in the morning. It can become very hectic with trying to get transportation and trying to get time in the park. It makes for a frantic start to your cruise day. Book a character breakfast at a resort and relax there, then go back to your room to get ready to leave for the port. That way you can just enjoy the morning without the park crowds.

Oh no! We aren't going to go to the park! But just whether we relax at the WDW hotel in the morning and have a nice breakfast and wait to get picked up by the bus there, or whether we get our own transportation(or go back to the airport) earlier so we can get to the port earlier!

Oh no! We aren't going to go to the park! But just whether we relax at the WDW hotel in the morning and have a nice breakfast and wait to get picked up by the bus there, or whether we get our own transportation(or go back to the airport) earlier so we can get to the port earlier!

I learned after the first four times to take our own transportation. You can pick your time, get a grocery stop and arrive by 10:30 or whenever the port allows.

This will be my second cruise and while well intentioned I made some mistakes on the first day of our first cruise. So first what I will do this time and then what I did wrong last time.

*Arrive early to the terminal.
*Try not to cry until after the first photos are taken.
*Swim or head straight to lunch. Depends on what the kids want.
*Visit the kids' clubs.
*Head to room and unpack. Listen to what my kids are feeling and thinking.
*Go topside for a drink and to get a good spot for the sail away party.
*Relax at the drill.
*Go to dinner in regular clothes.
*After dinner change into swimsuit and watch movie up top. Or sit on deck and relax.

----------
*Arrived at PAT. Was under the belief that we wouldn't be let in the terminal before hand. Had no time to see the terminal, meet characters, etc. Was very rushed and nervous.
*Cried my eyes out. Look all blotchy in the photos.
*Was too nervous overly excited to eat much.
*Rushed through the kids' clubs.
*Went to an FE meet and greet where I was overwhelmed and anxious and nervous.
*Rushed to unpack. Didn't really listen to my youngest which led to issues later.
*Was late to sail away party. Youngest was very upset the pool was closed. Then upset that she couldn't see the party at all.
*Rushed to change for dinner. Felt stressed.
*Very overwhelmed at drill. Too many people, too loud.
*Froze up top because I left my sweater in the car.

Anyone know what kind of eats they typically have in the concierge lounge upon arrival? Our hotel at the port has breakfast so I doubt we'll be super hungry, but just curious.

So, I'm an old Naval Officer and have an ingrained, deep seeded, welded to my DNA FEAR of missing the ship's movement. You just don't even know. DW tolerates my insanity. We drive to FL from VA and stay overnight at the same hotel in Port Orange so we have an hour drive to PC arriving around 9:30. Out of NY, we're up at 4 to get to Manhattan early. Again: MUSTN'T MISS THE SHIP.

On warm mornings, we hang out on deck 3 of the PC parking garage waiting for the terminal to open. Translation: Dad holds place in line while DW & 3 kids frolic in excitement with MANY pictures taken.

Once terminal opens up, quickly through security, check in and (used to) pick up Mickey Bands. Kids are all Edge+, so that's all over. We've not been lower than group 3 (we're Gold), so it's a quick wait watching TV/Reading Books (specially purchased and held back for this time). DW isn't a fan of crowds, so it's early in and early aboard (satisfying my fears). Kids roam a bit, but it's not too long of a wait. One time though on W. Carib, Fantasy was late out of CC for previous cruise due to medical emergency. As such, they were ~2 hours behind sked so the wait was a bit longer.

Excitement builds for all 5 of us until boarding begins and then it's off!

No boarding picture - not really our thing. Just wanna get aboard!

One of the kids provides name for announcement. DS did it last time. DD1 will get her turn IN 45 DAYS. DD2 gets her turn (again) IN 105 DAYS.

We like to take the midship elevator up to the pool deck. Walking through the pool area seems to solidify that we're really there. Dunno why

Usually lunch at Cabanas or BBB (as was). This time, I've convinced DW to have sit down lunch. Maybe :)

We used to turn the horde...I mean our wonderful children...loose in the pools/slides while we hangout topside. Now, they're all more interested in the Edge, so we'll explore some inside-type relaxation. Good cuppa joe at the coffee shop sounds good.

When the cabins are ready, we head down to unpack. I'm well trained: I do what she says.

We summon the demons...er, kids...to the room via the Navigator app to muster as a group. Again, old Naval Officer: thou shalt not get lost.

Sailaway party used to be fun, but the kiddos want to head to Edge, so I think that DW & I will either head to the Veranda or Promenade for sailaway next time.

We prefer main dining seating and dress for dinner every night, so it's back to the room for last minute pressing of shirts/dresses...before we head to our dinner.

On the longer cruises, we give the night 1 show a pass. Otherwise, we'll hit the show/entertainment. I always say a little prayer hoping to get Michael Holly as an entertainer. DW & I laughed 'til we were silly.

Anyway, at this point, it's full swing and underway!

Wow, where to start....we (let's be honest I) need to be at the terminal upon opening. We check in and then I love to just wander around the terminal until boarding time. We usually grab some seats at PC and wait until Platinum is called. We rarely stop for embarkation photos.

We board the ship and feel at home....usually do the sit down lunch but sometimes will go up to Cabanas. While most of the family/friends are still eating lunch I head out and make any dining changes, Palo reservations, kids club stuff, etc.

We then hang out on deck and have a welcome drink and ice cream! After 2:00 we head to the cabin to drop off carry ons.

While the rest of the gang is galavanting around the ship I like to unpack whatever bags are by the cabin. We head to muster drill, then sailaway...I still like sailaway as we are usually traveling with new cruisers and I like to see everything again through their eyes.

While I love embarkation day as it means I am finally on vacation, I have to admit I do find it very chaotic as I am usually the point person and I want everyone to have a good time so I am running around making sure all needs are met. I love being all unpacked and organized. We always go to all the shows (its tradition!), hang out in whatever venue interests us then head to our second seating dinner. We are all usually exhausted that first day so make it an early night.

Our cruise in October will be very different....my husband and I are taking our 2 year old granddaughter (today is her birthday!) on one of the NYC Bahamas/WDW sailings so I imagine all our normal routines will be out the window. We know it will be a totally different experience as it will be all about her having a good time. We will be dealing with diaper genies, bed rails, toys, sippy cups, and a suitcase full of princess dresses, a Halloween costume, pirate outfit and Marvel t-shirt. We will have nap times and may not make it through all MDR meals, we may have meltdowns...who knows but I am so looking forward to it all! She loves all Disney music so I am hoping she will enjoy all the shows. We are prepping by watching song clips from movies that I know will be featured in the stage shows. I kept late dining as I would rather have her be awake for the shows and don't mind if she falls asleep at dinner. She loves the characters (from afar) so it will interesting to see how she handles the meet and greets. We are just going in with an open mind and go with the flow attitude this cruise. Probably be asleep each night night at 9:00 lol!!! She had her 1st birthday last year on the Fantasy and loves looking at all our photos. We were with our whole family on that cruise and she did very well but a year and being without mommy and daddy could make a huge difference. I melt when I show her pics of the ship and she says "I go on Mickey boat". Getting another generation hooked on DCL....priceless!

MJ

Last edited:
Nothing original here. The first order of business is always eating because I'm cranky with low blood sugar. Then, we generally explore the ship until the room is ready. Sometimes we take a swim. Once the room is ready, we check it out and drop our day bags. If the rest of the luggage has been delivered, my husband immediately unpacks it. (Even for a 1 night stay in a hotel, he insists on putting everything in drawers as soon as possible). We're probably about at muster drill time now. Then it's time for sail-away, which is when we buy our first cocktails of the trip.

Nothing original here. The first order of business is always eating because I'm cranky with low blood sugar. Then, we generally explore the ship until the room is ready. Sometimes we take a swim. Once the room is ready, we check it out and drop our day bags. If the rest of the luggage has been delivered, my husband immediately unpacks it. (Even for a 1 night stay in a hotel, he insists on putting everything in drawers as soon as possible). We're probably about at muster drill time now. Then it's time for sail-away, which is when we buy our first cocktails of the trip.

After many sailings, it's nice to toss things up. On our last two cruises, when we first got onboard we took time to take pictures of all the vacant areas and it was so nice, then we went to lunch. On the last sailaway, we stayed on our verandah, drink in hand, and watched the land go by and waved to all the fisherman, it was so relaxing.

Anyone know what kind of eats they typically have in the concierge lounge upon arrival? Our hotel at the port has breakfast so I doubt we'll be super hungry, but just curious.

There has been a mix of tea party size sandwiches, fruits, cheeses, bakery treats, sodas, waters, the much discussed beverage machine, champagne or a sparkling wine, red wines, white wines. Many different things.

Not enough to make a meal, enough to pair with the welcome beverages.

I love this thread! It is making me so excited for our potential future cruise (fingers crossed November 2018)!
We have only cruised once so far and so don't quite yet have a routine but when we did board the Disney Wonder in April 2017 we did the following:
-Smiled ear to ear as we approached the terminal (PC) and saw the beautiful ship ahead of us;
-Became even more excited as I ascended the escalator and saw Mickey in his Captain outfit and heard the magical sounds of the Disney themed tannoy announcement;
-Squealed with delight as our boarding group was called and travelled through the amazing Mickey tunnel;
-Once on board, we ate food from Cabanas on the open deck;
-After scanning our personal navigators, some of did the walking tour to witness first hand the beauty of the re-imagined Wonder;
-Cried happy tears as the music played, the children waved their shiny streamer things and the Disney horn blasted its famous tune at the Sail Away Party.

Obviously we did other things on embarkation day including the muster drill and eating our first glorious meal at Tritons but the main thing I will remember and can't wait to do again is create such special family memories that I had and have dreamed about since I was a little girl :tink:

First ever cruise coming up in May 2018! I love reading about what everyone else does on embarkation day; it's the day I'm most anxious about just because it seems like it could get a little overwhelming and it's full of stuff I haven't ever experienced before. :)

What time does the terminal open? Not necessarily boarding, but like...what time can I get in to see that awesome looking model of the ship!? ;) We're sailing concierge and I'm just generally of the "earlier is always better mindset". I'd rather get somewhere early and have to wait than to feel rushed or be late.

First ever cruise coming up in May 2018! I love reading about what everyone else does on embarkation day; it's the day I'm most anxious about just because it seems like it could get a little overwhelming and it's full of stuff I haven't ever experienced before. :)

What time does the terminal open? Not necessarily boarding, but like...what time can I get in to see that awesome looking model of the ship!? ;) We're sailing concierge and I'm just generally of the "earlier is always better mindset". I'd rather get somewhere early and have to wait than to feel rushed or be late.

It depends. NYC opens around 8, but they don't process baggage until 9:30. Port Canaveral opens between 10-10:30, though if the ship is late getting in, everything is pushed back. Baggage is accepted between 9:30-9:45-ish.

Yeah, we always get there early too!

It depends. NYC opens around 8, but they don't process baggage until 9:30. Port Canaveral opens between 10-10:30, though if the ship is late getting in, everything is pushed back. Baggage is accepted between 9:30-9:45-ish.

Yeah, we always get there early too!

Oops, I should have specified! We are sailing out of Port Canaveral. :) Thank you so much for the information!

We check in, walk on board, head up to pool deck, Find loungers, DH grabs 2 piña coladas for us & Shirley temple for DS, and we sit and breathe. Honestly every cruise, we sit and relax right Then and There.

I may wander in to get some fruit or a snack at cabanas but bring that back to our little happy place, then we get ourselves up and go to SR.

- Arrive at terminal before 10am, check in and wait (we love arriving earlier and just being at the terminal... part of the embarkation experience for us :D)
- Skip the boarding photo op
- Once onboard, (usually around 11:30am) we head to the top deck for photos and take in the views, relishing in the moment... IT'S REALLY HAPPENING
- Enchanted Garden for lunch, always.
- Confirm our dining requests and secure a second Palo Brunch if possible
- If rooms are not ready yet, we'll wait in the atrium or top decks, explore... again, taking it all in!
- Ice Cream Break
- Unpack what we have so far in stateroom
- Prep for Muster (again, something I actually enjoy. weird, I know)
- Get ready for Sail Away party with a drink or two!
- Ice Cream Break
- SHOPPPPPPPPP. ALL the DCL merch.
- Relax at Quiet Cove and introduce ourselves to the Barista at Cove Cafe that we'll frequent too often
- Get ready for the evening's festivities, we like late seating so show first then dinner!
- The Tube for Adult fun!
- Then prepping for day 2! ::MickeyMo::MinnieMo

We show up at the terminal at our PAT or earlier if we're hoping for an upgrade. Eat lunch once on board. After that, it's have some drinks, explore the ship, unpack once in the room, attend the mandatory drill, sail away party, stay on top decks and relax, see the first show, have dinner, take a walk on deck 4, go to bed. The first day and the entire cruise goes by so fast!!

We are plantinum and this January will be the first sailing we will get to enjoy the benefits of it. So excited! We will also be in the San Juan terminal so this will be a new experience for us. But when in Port Canaveral we usually:
1. Arrive around 1pm so we are able to go right to our rooms.
2. We drop our bags off and go straight to the pool deck where we immediately get an ice cream cone.
3. Then we head to the cabanas and have some of their delicious lamb chops. (The dream used to have the best rosemary lamb chops but I think they've recently changed the recipe in the last year or two. They're not the same as they once were). And load up on the pesto orzo pasta.
4. We go back to the to room and my husband takes our daughter to aquaduck while I unpack our clothes.
5. About this time we usually have the mister drill.
6. We sit on our balcony as we sail away and wave to the campers at Jetty Park, they wave back in total envy. :)
7. It is a tradition for us (including my husband) to watch at least one Disney princess movie in the room as a family.
8. Dinner at the MDR
9. Once open house is finished in the Oceaneers Club, our DD is allowed to check in.
10. Hubbs and I usually get a coffee and sit in the cove or right outside it and watch the world go by.
11. Back into the bathing suits and sit in the pool infront of the Funnelvision screen and watch whatever movie is playing while we soak.
12. Around 10-11pm we bring a whole pizza back from Flo's V8 Cafe and eat it on our balcony in our pjs. DDs 8pm Bedtime goes out the window on the trips. That's no fun! :)
13. Goto sleep and dream of all the wonderful things we will do the following day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!