Day Tripping-How Far Is Too Far?

Elk Grove Chris

DIS Veteran
There have been a few threads on solo trips the last few months and it got me to thinking about some of my trips. We usually only schedule one family trip a year. I have been lucky in the last few years to have had many conferences in Anaheim and nearby where I have tied on solo trips and had the family come join me on a weekend or two or three. They are ok with 5-10 days of Disney a year, I need about 20.

Most of the time, I just add on some days before or after a conference, but not always. I love me some Disney and have driven up from San Diego for a few hours after a conference ended for the day (on at least 3 different trips), then drove back to my hotel in San Diego. And many times from closer locals like Fullerton or Long Beach.

I have also done it from Palm Dessert, which is probably the fatheset I have come from for a day trip. This was the day after a conference ended so I was able to leave early and rope drop.

How far do you travel for a day trip or even for a few hours of Disney? Whether it is solo or with the family, whether you are visiting or live local. Or do you have a limit?

This is an interesting question. "Too far" can be pretty relative. For some posters, San Diego would be too far -- fear of driving or no car available, for example. For others, SF wouldn't be too far because at least it would be in the same state and a lot closer than their home city. I think we did have a post from someone who drove down from somewhere in the Bay Area (?) and back during a layover just to visit the parks for most of the day? That sounds extreme, but when your home is an international flight away, the Bay Area seems pretty close! And for ardent Disney fans, how could you be SO close and not at least try to visit the parks, right? Of course, all that was pre-COVID. All the new rules and restrictions might make a difference, what with the reservation system and all the extra planning needed (once we finally know what that will look like).

We go twice a month from LA for half days. Typically arriving at 11-1 and leaving at around 5-8. It’s a really easy drive. I’d probably drop it down to once a month if coming from Ventura or san Diego but would still be worth it.

For a day trip probably no more than 4 hours one way, but would prefer no more than a couple hours one way.

It's hard to say for Disney because I only live a couple hours away, but I still think 4 might be the max for a day trip there. Otherwise I'd just want to spend the night.

We do it from North County San Diego frequently! It’s a long day.... we get up really early and try to make rope drop and stay until maybe 7:30/8ish???? We are zombies the following day.... definitely a pajama day but oh so much fun!

Not my preferred, but sans kids, wife and I have flown in and flown out on the same day from the SF Bay Area. Landed by 8am and we were on the next to last flight out that night (like 11pm).

One time...I flew from Philadelphia to SNA, landed at 7pm on a Thursday, dinner with friends, slept, took care of some property business Friday AM, stopped by DL (my pass was on its last month), then took a red eye back on Friday night. Total time on ground was about 24hrs, east/west coast round trip. Again, not recommended!

We did a same day flight ONCE to meet up with our DD for her B-day at the parks. The problem with flying out of John Wayne is the flights stop around 9 ish. Of course the one time we did this, our return flight was delayed and delayed and eventually canceled. We got a shuttle over to Ontario for the last flight there. Left Sacramento at 6 am Sunday and made rope drop, got back to Sacramento Monday at 2 am.

Our first trip to WDW, we did a red eye, not our best move either. Left Sacramento 10 pm, connector in LA at 11:30, landed in Orlando around 6 am next day. Rented points, but rooms were not ready at 8 am when we got there. Dropped bags, headed to MK. First few hours were great, then we all crashed. Watched parade around noon and I think I was the only one who didn't fall asleep. Rooms were not ready until 4, we crashed and then made our 7 pm reservation at Narcoossee's, barely.

My friend and I have flown down from Sac and back the same day a few times. The first time, she had the idea to go down and celebrate my birthday in the parks. SW had $29 flights and we took advantage of birthday specials (like Rainforest $25 to spend and Naples free meal). Had an absolute blast and I spent almost nothing! Between my AP and the birthday freebies, I only spent about $20, mostly for airport parking (I got my flight on points). Left first thing in the morning and came back on the last flight. We live 2 hours north of Sac so it was a long day, but so much fun!!

As far as a driving trip, I don't know how far I'd go. I'm not used to city driving and wouldn't want to deal with lots of traffic and I don't like using the parking at Disney.

We haven't done it in a couple of years but we've driven out and back from Phoenix a few times. (Not saying I recommend it!) We leave around 0200, make rope drop, stay in the park until about 4pm, and go home. It's brutal and we aren't getting any younger!

For a day trip 3-4 hours one way, not enough time there otherwise.

A weekend trip though, if leaving on say a Friday night, 4-8 hours one way is doable, obviously may be staying somewhere along the way on Friday, then there Saturday night and leave accordingly on Sunday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter