DC Questions

Mjasp

DIS Veteran
I probably won't get ressies anyway since I'm going in 3 weeks, but will be back there in April if we decide to do it and can't get ressies.

I'm confused by the DC website. It shows a lagoon and a coral reef. Both show snorkeling. I thought there was a regular swimming pool also that goes around the park with different themes. Can someone who's been there please tell me the difference and the water depth in each of them.

Is this really worth to do if we don't do the dolphin swim? It is $119 per person plus tax and wonder if DC alone is worth it, not counting the Sea World tix you get for the 7 days.

Thanks for your input.

Just got back from DC.
There is a lazy river that circles around the park. It has depths ranging from 3-8 feet. The drops happen suddenly so make sure you have a life vest if you are not a good swimmer. There are water falls and places to exit when you get to the aviary. Some people were using there snorkels though there wasn't much to see in the water.

There is a large coral reef area which again starts shallow and drops in depth. There are cards for fish identification.

Also they is a ray lagoon. This is more of a wade-in type of pool.

I went and didn't do the dolphin swim. My husband and 2 kids did do the dolphin swim. It was approx. 45 minutes. It was a great day- a once in a lifetime experience. I wouldn't do this everytime do to the cost.

They did serve a good meal and everything from towels to lockers were provided with admission. We also had the 7days into Sea World though we only went once.

You have to have one in your group take the dolphin swim.

The coral reef is saltwater that i'd guess goes down to about 12 feet deep, in some partsthere are ledges to just a couple of feet, there is also a saltwater stingray lagoon that is up just a couple of feet deep. The "swimming pool" (chlorinated) lagoon is zero entry and goes to maybe 6 feet deep, connected to it is a "lazy river" style canal that loops around the park ( and under the aviary) this does have drops that go down to 9 feet but there are warnings of that fact.

As far as DC worth the $119 plus tax. Even if you were planning just one day at SW that's a $50 cost, the included lunch must be a $20 cost , so in "real tems" you're paying $50 for a day at the park. I probably wouldn't pay that EVERY trip for a day in DC without the dolphin swim, (but you still get to watch them play and swim about) but I'd probably do it one trip in 3. As it is I would use the SW tix a lot more than one day so IMHO without the dolphin swim I look at the "cost" coming to less than $20 per person. Well worth the money, but that is dependent on how you use the SW tix.

You can still go even if no one does the dolphin swim, you just have to cal to make reservations instead of doing them online. It is a very nice place to relax and get away from it all. They limit the amount of people so there are no crowds. I like to go there just to relax. Get there early, I think they open at 9:00 but you can check in prior to that and get your locker and swim gear before all the pools open. Last time I went I was the only person in with the stingrays and in the coral reef, it was nice. I went alone and didn't think I would be able to keep busy for the full day but I wasn't in my chair for more then 30 minutes total. I think it is worth it.

Originally posted by POLYMOM
Just got back from DC.
There is a lazy river that circles around the park. It has depths ranging from 3-8 feet. The drops happen suddenly so make sure you have a life vest if you are not a good swimmer. There are water falls and places to exit when you get to the aviary. Some people were using there snorkels though there wasn't much to see in the water.

There are also floats you can take along on the river. I didn't take my mask on the tropical river, but my kids found lots of things to look at along the way - windows into the coral reef, ruins of buildings under the water, rocks with carvings on them of dragons, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter