DCL Confessions

Went to Castaway Cay last year and brought back a small bucket of shells•• my kids were playing in the sand with a small bucket we brought. I cleaned all of the shells and left them in the bucket, put it in my beach bag and walked right onto the ship. I wasn't trying to hide anything just not thinking. No one said a word! It wasn't until we got home and looked at the shells that we noticed they all looked the same??? I think they are fake shells...
The sign at Castaway Cay reads..."take only pictures, leave only footprints"!

That picture was taken in a 4A room.

Body wash and solar relief gel used to be Concierge add-ons.
View attachment 261090

You could ask for these anywhere. My wife was badly sunburned on our St. Martin excursion and, having read about the solar relief gel on these boards, I asked our stateroom host for some and he brought several tubes and kept them coming for the remainder of our cruise. We were in a 4A.

Martin

You could ask for these anywhere. My wife was badly sunburned on our St. Martin excursion and, having read about the solar relief gel on these boards, I asked our stateroom host for some and he brought several tubes and kept them coming for the remainder of our cruise. We were in a 4A.

Martin
Yes, there are several reports of people requesting them. But they were part of the "standard" set up in Concierge, not the regular rooms.

It used to be what Concierge got above and beyond the "regular" H2O offerings in the other rooms. BUT, Concierge now gets Elemis products, not H2O. I have read where some concierge guests have requested the H2O products, but I'm not sure if they got just the regular bar soaps/lotion/shampoo/conditioner or if the solar gel/body wash is still available.

I know we received the aloe (based) solar relief as well as shower gel this summer on the Magic (in concierge). Both DM and I react to Elemis so our stateroom host kept us well stocked. I ended up packing an entire bag of H2O toiletries and bringing it home. I guess my confession is that I haven't donated them...yet. It's on my to do list, I promise :)

1. Broke a pencil in the gift shop once by accident. Was mortified and gave it apologizing to the CM, who just shrugged and took it.

2. Loved the design of the dessert menu at Royal Palace. Asked the waiter if I could keep it and he checked with the head waiter who came over with a copy and slipped it to me.

3. I judge everyone negatively who compares/likes Carnival over Disney. It's like comparing the dollar store to Bloomingdale's.

my first one is a shameful wedding confession as well as a DCL confession...
Married on CC. Got my hair all done up, wore my wedding gown, got married, took pics...
felt conspicuous, took off dress, pulled pins from hair, put on regular clothes and went about my day. I think I confused the waiters at Palo that night, they were expecting a bridal party, and they got me.

I also think CC is just ok. I would like to go back to recreate some wedding photos, but otherwise I'm fine missing it.

I don't care for Palo dinner. Only ever did it my wedding night. Have no inclination to do it again.

I also have a TON of shampoo and stuff from DCL and WDW. My husband always stashes them in our room, so I pack them up and throw them in the closet when we get home. I don't actually use them. They just sit in the closet. and some of them are really old. like, probably gross. Like, I probably have the old style WDW ones with the mickey caps.

I don't care for Palo dinner. Only ever did it my wedding night. Have no inclination to do it again.
Have you been to Palo since the menu change? That was about a year ago. I didn't care for dinner at Palo after our first cruise. But went again with the new menu and it's really not bad.

my first one is a shameful wedding confession as well as a DCL confession...
Married on CC. Got my hair all done up, wore my wedding gown, got married, took pics...
felt conspicuous, took off dress, pulled pins from hair, put on regular clothes and went about my day. I think I confused the waiters at Palo that night, they were expecting a bridal party, and they got me.

I also think CC is just ok. I would like to go back to recreate some wedding photos, but otherwise I'm fine missing it.

I also have a TON of shampoo and stuff from DCL and WDW. My husband always stashes them in our room, so I pack them up and throw them in the closet when we get home. I don't actually use them. They just sit in the closet. and some of them are really old. like, probably gross. Like, I probably have the old style WDW ones with the mickey caps.
Hopefully you all joined the verandah club!

3. I judge everyone negatively who compares/likes Carnival over Disney. It's like comparing the dollar store to Bloomingdale's.
Just curious on a couple things. 1 - What Carnival ships have you been on and what didn't you like about them? 2 - Do you judge people who like Toyota's more than BMW or Mercedes?

Spending more doesn't always mean a better product. I've enjoyed my DCL and CCL cruises equally but in different ways. Disney is certainly a more refined feel and usually excellent service, (not on the Wonder in 2015 though). Carnival is just a whole lot of fun, and not because of alcohol, as I don't drink.

Just curious on a couple things. 1 - What Carnival ships have you been on and what didn't you like about them? 2 - Do you judge people who like Toyota's more than BMW or Mercedes?

Spending more doesn't always mean a better product. I've enjoyed my DCL and CCL cruises equally but in different ways. Disney is certainly a more refined feel and usually excellent service, (not on the Wonder in 2015 though). Carnival is just a whole lot of fun, and not because of alcohol, as I don't drink.

Some people have Disney blinders. I honestly laugh whenever the subject of Hawaii cruises come up and the responses lean towards, "well, I'll go to Aulani instead", as if there is no other option. My goodness! In the entire Hawaiian islands you can't think of anywhere else to go but a Disney property???? We travel extensively. Sometimes it's with Disney. Most times it isn't. All are wonderful. I feel bad for those that think only one certain brand (whatever that brand might be) can make them happy. I guess that's my Disney confession.

Edited to add:
For the record, we own three Toyotas :-) - a Highlander, a Tundra and an FJ Cruiser.

Some people have Disney blinders. I honestly laugh whenever the subject of Hawaii cruises come up and the responses lean towards, "well, I'll go to Aulani instead", as if there is no other option. My goodness! In the entire Hawaiian islands you can't think of anywhere else to go but a Disney property???? We travel extensively. Sometimes it's with Disney. Most times it isn't. All are wonderful. I feel bad for those that think only one certain brand (whatever that brand might be) can make them happy. I guess that's my Disney confession.

Edited to add:
For the record, we own three Toyotas :-) - a Highlander, a Tundra and an FJ Cruiser.
Well said! And as to the Carnival vs Disney conversation, my sister had the Disney blinders, but did a Sunshine Carnival cruise over March break for her kids. She came back bursting with how much fun they had, the great things for the teens, and how wonderful Half Moon Cay is. We haven't sailed Carnival, but have done HAL and NCL. All are wonderful-same but different.

Rav4 owner, here. ;)

Edited to add:
Let me know if you ever want to sell the FJ Cruiser, I love those!

The bottom line for me is, this year I get to spend 22 nights cruising with my family, 14 are on Carnival and 8 are on Disney. If we only went DCL that number would be about 14 total nights. I'll slum it on Carnival to get to spend more nights on a ship with my teens before they start heading off to college in a year.

PS - been driving a Camry or Highlander since 2002.

Let me know if you ever want to sell the FJ Cruiser, I love those!

The FJ will go to the grave with my husband. Actually that's not true. Our son will take it to his grave! I'll admit, I love the thing as well. Our son goes to school in Erie, PA right on the banks of Lake Erie - think lake effect snow, lots and lots of it! He took it up to school during the winter months and I have no doubt it's the reason he made it back home (or even just back to the dorm) a few times.

Last edited:
Well said! And as to the Carnival vs Disney conversation, my sister had the Disney blinders, but did a Sunshine Carnival cruise over March break for her kids. She came back bursting with how much fun they had, the great things for the teens, and how wonderful Half Moon Cay is. We haven't sailed Carnival, but have done HAL and NCL. All are wonderful-same but different.

Rav4 owner, here. ;)
Agreed.

As you can see in my signature (for those of you who can see it) We've cruised Disney, HAL, Carnival and Princess. As we cruise mostly for itinerary those were the ones that interested us. We'll cruise on any and all of them again.

And we have a Dodge Caravan and 3 Ford products - Fusion, F250, and Escape.

Edited to add:

I definitely don't have Disney blinders on, I would never go to Aulani, did Hawaii back in 2012 staying on Waikiki Beach and then over to Maui, saw much more of the Islands/culture. We went on to Alaska on the Disney Wonder due to points, but if we did it again it probably would be on Princess or Holland America.

As far as other cruise lines, Norwegian/Star and Royal Caribbean/Celebrity are great along with Carnival's subsidiaries such as Cunard, Princess, Holland America, Costa, P&O, Seabourn. Carnival Cruise Line themselves though are a sleazy operation, and they don't call it "Walmart of the Seas" for nothing. Maintenance lacks, quality lacks, and the experience is subpar. Carnival is the Spirit/Allegiant equivalent in the cruise industry. If you like it, good for you but don't think for a second it's a quality experience, it's for those who want a cheap cruise that's just above a ferry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter