DCL Insurance vs. Third Party

ChicosWife

The Caribbean DCL Life For Us!
Other than the cost, what are the pros and cons of booking a third party insurance vs. DCL's? I currently have DCL's insurance, but I didn't book my flights through Disney and I know any occurrences outside of the cruise itself won't be covered, right?

You are correct. DCL insurance only covers thing you purchase through DCL, so, if you purchased your flights separately or any pre- or post-hotel stays separately, etc., they won't be covered. That's why I never purchase DCL insurance and always purchase third-party to cover our entire trip.

You are correct. DCL insurance only covers thing you purchase through DCL, so, if you purchased your flights separately or any pre- or post-hotel stays separately, etc., they won't be covered. That's why I never purchase DCL insurance and always purchase third-party to cover our entire trip.

Who do you recommend?

We have used insuremytrip.com for a few trips (never had to make a claim). You input your info and the website gives you multiple plans from multiple companies to choose from (including reviews from prior customers). Super easy and good prices. IMO, DCL trip insurance has inadequate medical evacuation coverage and almost always costs more than better plans from other companies.

We have used ************.com for a few trips (never had to make a claim). You input your info and the website gives you multiple plans from multiple companies to choose from (including reviews from prior customers). Super easy and good prices. IMO, DCL trip insurance has inadequate medical evacuation coverage and almost always costs more than better plans from other companies.

Your recommendation was censored. LOL

We chose DCL insurance because we travel down and stay at WDW around the cruise, so we are less worried about insuring the flights, and the WDW hotel cancellation policies are pretty reasonable in my view so I don't feel the need to insure the hotel stay. The main thing I like about DCL insurance is that you get 75% toward a future cruise if you cancel for any reason. I like this, because my experience with insurance in the past has always been that they always try to find a way to argue your cancellation is not for a covered reason, and at least if that happens I have the 75% as a callback. Also, it gives me comfort knowing I can cancel and rebook for any number of life-is-complicated reasons without it being a covered event and have some protection.

Check with your regular insurance company...mine, Usaa, has a discount with a travel insurance provider.

Also, search online for travel insurance and a bunch of “insurance comparison“ websites will appear. Try them to see what you might need.

I've used Travel Insured International, Worldwide Trip Protector for my 2 cruises to cover flights, hotel, and cruise. Reasonable rates, kids under 18 are free, has good amounts for evacuation, etc. I've never filed any claims...so not sure how that part is!

Other than the cost, what are the pros and cons of booking a third party insurance vs. DCL's? I currently have DCL's insurance, but I didn't book my flights through Disney and I know any occurrences outside of the cruise itself won't be covered, right?
I would only purchase DCL insurance if I had also booked the flights via DCL Air, because I want the flights covered as part of the total cruise package.

I’m so confused on what to do now. I got scared when I bought my placeholder because I read a thread saying that my Dad would not be covered by Disney insurance because of a liver transplant he had in 2006. Complications happen with transplants so I needed to be prepared.
I’m feeling REALLY uneasy about not getting Disney insurance in addition. Disney has protected us on 5 cruises and I really feel I should get it also. I’m not sure which advantage I lose if I don’t use them also.

I’m so confused on what to do now. I got scared when I bought my placeholder because I read a thread saying that my Dad would not be covered by Disney insurance because of a liver transplant he had in 2006. Complications happen with transplants so I needed to be prepared.
I’m feeling REALLY uneasy about not getting Disney insurance in addition. Disney has protected us on 5 cruises and I really feel I should get it also. I’m not sure which advantage I lose if I don’t use them also.

Does Disney insurance cover pre existing conditions?

Did you buy third party insurance at the time you made the placeholder?

What has made you confused on this thread? Help us help you. :)

The main advantage you lose by not taking Disney insurance is, as MomOTwins described, getting a credit of roughly 75% of your fare for a future cruise if you cancel for a non-covered reason (for example, you miss your flight, you can’t get time off work, or you want to stay home with a critically ill friend).

A crisis related to a pre-existing condition would qualify as non-covered, but it would be better to have third-party insurance that reimbursed for the whole fare. Keep in mind that if insurance doesn’t cover cancellations due to pre-existing conditions, it also may not cover any treatment needed during the cruise related to those conditions. Getting treatment onboard or in a port and getting transportation home can have a financial cost much greater than the cost of the cruise.

As mentioned above, Disney insurance will cover only travel booked through Disney. If you book your own airfare and hotel stays, it will not cover cancellation fees or problems that arise when you are not actually on the cruise. If you’re doing a Caribbean or a Bahamas cruise, US-based insurance will cover your family until you are on the ship, but for cruises to Europe, you may want pre- and post-cruise travel covered.

Note that not all third-party plans will cover pre-existing conditions, especially if you didn’t purchase the insurance when you made the initial cruise payment. You should be able to find a plan that covers what you want, but it may be more expensive. Be sure to look over the plan details carefully to make sure it meets your needs.

Just a couple of things -

Pre-existing conditions is already being discussed, but just note that most insurance policies will only add that waiver if you buy the policy within 14-21 days of your first payment. This includes the placeholder. Meaning you have 14-21 days (depending on the policy) from the day you put money down on the placeholder to buy a policy with that waiver. You can buy the add on separately, but it's often beaucoup bucks.

Before you buy a policy, (or even put money down on anything) check with your credit card. Many cards offers travel protection, but the purchases must have been made on that card. See if the travel protection from your card is good enough for you (it's not always as comprehensive as a travel insurance policy) before you buy a policy.

Did you buy third party insurance at the time you made the placeholder?
What has made you confused on this thread? Help us help you. :)
Well it would actually be from a combination of insurance threads that started around April 1. The first of which sent sheer panic through me to assure that I had needed coverage prior to the 14 days from purchase date. So I went to AAA spent $580 on a policy for a trip I didn’t know where it was was going, or when, with what I believe to be myself, my daughter, and my parents. Still not including air fare, but as told that could be added later. I picked a cruise a few weeks later that was $2400, less than the amount I planned for. The cost of insurance is more than the price of a 4th adult. Once I add Disney’s I will have paid more than adult 3 & 4.
But that’s not what confuses or concerns me. It’s my fear that this pre-existing condition from 2005 will cause a problem (even though he’s not going anymore. I still want to be home if my father is sick) or my daughters inability to take the cruise because of a winter college course requirement recommended by professors that I would not find out about until 2 weeks before we leave.
If there is NO ADVANTAGE to taking the the Disney insurance I can relax. But....
Yeah, I’m a little OCD. But I’ve never traveled without Disney and transfer for and I have traveled without the other insurance.

Well it would actually be from a combination of insurance threads that started around April 1. The first of which sent sheer panic through me to assure that I had needed coverage prior to the 14 days from purchase date. So I went to AAA spent $580 on a policy for a trip I didn’t know where it was was going, or when, with what I believe to be myself, my daughter, and my parents. Still not including air fare, but as told that could be added later. I picked a cruise a few weeks later that was $2400, less than the amount I planned for. The cost of insurance is more than the price of a 4th adult. Once I add Disney’s I will have paid more than adult 3 & 4.
But that’s not what confuses or concerns me. It’s my fear that this pre-existing condition from 2005 will cause a problem (even though he’s not going anymore. I still want to be home if my father is sick) or my daughters inability to take the cruise because of a winter college course requirement recommended by professors that I would not find out about until 2 weeks before we leave.
If there is NO ADVANTAGE to taking the the Disney insurance I can relax. But....
Yeah, I’m a little OCD. But I’ve never traveled without Disney and transfer for and I have traveled without the other insurance.
If you have already purchased 3rd party insurance there is no need to get the DCL insurance. It would be double coverage that isn't as good in most cases with no benefit that I can see. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. To me it would be like having car insurance on the same car with two different companies.

We choose 3rd party insurance for every Cruise. While we may never need it, it is good to have. The cost is minimal compared to any expense we could potentially incur due to an unforeseen circumstance.

If you have already purchased 3rd party insurance there is no need to get the DCL insurance. It would be double coverage that isn't as good in most cases with no benefit that I can see. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. To me it would be like having car insurance on the same car with two different companies.

I agree. Without seeing the terms/conditions of Snowwhyt's AAA insurance policy, I can't say for sure...but almost every travel insurance policy I've seen had better coverage than Disney.

It also would be difficult for me to imagine the scenario where adding DCL insurance on top of an already pricey insurance policy is a good financial investment when you compare insurance costs vs. cruise $ at risk.

I would go back to AAA and talk to them about the specific type of insurance you need now that you have more details so they can.add on to or adjust your policy. I would not buy another policy as that could potentially cause issues if you need to file a claim.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter